• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Welp, I  decided not to get a new heating system because I  took care of insulating the attic and ducts as well as sealing air leakage. I'm sticking with oil, like it or not, until my a/c goes up and I'll get a heat pump at that point if still living. In the meantime, the pending warmth will result in a decent savings on $ after all the insulation and sealing. That's what I'm telling myself at least. :(

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12z is only hours away.  Fake punt?

I'm sure there will be some winter weather to be had moving forward. But to what extent remains to be seen. And the clock keeps on ticking as we inch closer to spring. I'm not sure it's time to punt yet. We need some reassurance that there is hope for the big paralyzing snow to satisfy our hunger.

8 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I'm sure there will be some winter weather to be had moving forward. But to what extent remains to be seen. And the clock keeps on ticking as we inch closer to spring. I'm not sure it's time to punt yet. We need some reassurance that there is hope for the big paralyzing snow to satisfy our hunger.

Yea, even Met Spring is still over 40 days.  We just passed the midpoint of winter one week ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The GFS capitulating to making the 28th low an inland runner and not sending it up to be a new 50/50 is not helpful for early Feb cold.   The 0Z was truly ugly and more matches the painful look on the Ensemble anomalies. 

12Z yesterday

6Z Today

Don't "like" this post, but I agree w/ you.  While I've taken a break from models (while enjoying winter IMBY), after lookin at overnighters, this weekend event would have been sneaking one in during a shit pattern. 

Next week may try to do the same, but we need wholesale changes in pattern before we can get better looks and thats a couple weeks out.  If we can time something just right/thread the needle, then maybe, but those odds are a crap shoot down here.  

and fwiw, I'm not doom n gloom, just being a realist.  

And the realist in me just looked at the tellies, and all is surely not lost. 

AO/NAO headed neg in Feb, will get cold back/closer

PNA headed neg - not good but AO/NAO could offset 

MJO headed twds p7 may help as well 

Unfortunately MJO/NAO are volatile and can shart da bed w/ the best of em, but IF one believes what the tellie ouija board suggests....it should be more workable as we turn the calendar.   

• Like 1

This area loves late February, early March storms

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will go ahead and say it so it is out there and we can be done with seeing,  March will be rockin'!
I think march will be our best chance of a home run storm. We may whiff but I feel the chance will be there

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

my god, a bunch of debbie downers Its not even the end of january and you guys are calling for the end of winter.  Many of you thought the same thing at the end of Dec and now look at us- nearly a foot of snow in the past two weeks. Stop hugging the ensemble models for a biggie. It is not coming.  We will be in a relaxed pattern for the next two weeks, then the front door will be kicked in near of just after Valentines Day. Patience is virtue. The pattern we are in is very typical of a moderate El Nino year.  SECS usually occur near Presidents Day to St Patricks Day in this pattern. I have seen it over and over for 40 years. 

17 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

my god, a bunch of debbie downers Its not even the end of january and you guys are calling for the end of winter.  Many of you thought the same thing at the end of Dec and now look at us- nearly a foot of snow in the past two weeks. Stop hugging the ensemble models for a biggie. It is not coming.  We will be in a relaxed pattern for the next two weeks, then the front door will be kicked in near of just after Valentines Day. Patience is virtue. The pattern we are in is very typical of a moderate El Nino year.  SECS usually occur near Presidents Day to St Patricks Day in this pattern. I have seen it over and over for 40 years. 

I was thinking Feb 10th on will be very good for us with a favorable pattern. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Who called for the end of winter (on this thread, maybe you meant this for MA?).  Most of the posts this AM were of the degrading look for the first week of Feb after it looked much better on the OP yesterday. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I am really confused with this post - I just spent a lot of time going back through this thread and I see NONE of what you're talking about. Many of us acknowledge that the next couple of weeks don't look good at all (you said the same thing) but I think everyone is universally hopeful/encouraged by what's coming thereafter. 

Did you even read our thread? If so...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Who called for the end of winter (on this thread, maybe you meant this for MA?).  Most of the posts this AM were of the degrading look for the first week of Feb after it looked much better on the OP yesterday. 

Right? Thanks for affirming what I was thinking and beating me to the keyboard. LOL

• Haha 2

I am really confused with this post - I just spent a lot of time going back through this thread and I see NONE of what you're talking about. Many of us acknowledge that the next couple of weeks don't look good at all (you said the same thing) but I think everyone is universally hopeful/encouraged by what's coming thereafter. 
Did you even read our thread? If so...

giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The Canadian comes close to a miracle with the Sunday/Monday storm. It does get some snow into the state but no big deal. Gfs and Icon are carp with it.

carp?

is that in the sucker family....... :guitar:

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

I mean, you don't have to come in and read. and you certainly don't have to comment. 

Phucking outsiders, i knew i should have stayed on vacation. 

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm going whole hog on the 9th....

anyone wanna box him in and take 2/11??

:P

I'll split the hog with you on the 9th. That's my bday.  Also the NWS's bday!  A crippling triple-phaser for the ages is all I ask for each year.  Or cash.

• Like 1