• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Yesterday is on average our coldest day of the year. It was also the 7th straight below freezing day here across the County. Below is a ranking of the longest such streaks since records began back in 1894. Of note 3 of the top 15 streaks have occurred since the year 2000. Many spots will have a chance to top the freezing mark today. Overall a milder stretch lies ahead as we get into our "January Thaw". Unfortunately with the warming will also come rain with some models showing between 2" to 3" of rain by Sunday night.

Records for today: High 72 (1906) / Low 14 below zero (1984) / Precipitation 1.47" (1987) / Snow 12.8" (1987)

image.png.4756982872dedca4180587002139e9c3.png
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

Will there be icy weather tomorrow? Don't the models have a tendency to under estimate the low level cold air trapped near the surface? 

Sounds like and icy few days coming up.

Tonight, Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning calling for freezing rain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

How much rain does he say we'll get? CTP in their disco didn't think flooding would be a concern since the snowmelt will be done before Friday. 

No specifics, but on CTP's homepage the hydrology tab shows no or the most insignificant rises...at least on the main stem. Graph shows the river staying WELL below even the action stage. 

Rainfall will occur over several days plus the snow pack has a relatively low water content. Not an issue at all it seems. 

• Like 3

Hi Guys.  I'm back from DC where it was frigid on Saturday.  Of course, it was solid white ground the entire 105 miles between there and home.  Rt 15 is so beautiful no matter what time of year, but to see huge open fields with snow cover is a treat.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't home for the additional snow festivities Friday evening so I cannot tell how much I might have had.

Finally, my low this morning was +6.8 degrees and the second low temp in the single digits this season.  My lowest temp was +5.0, recorded last week.

• Like 3

@canderson - MU just shared this:

After a blustery and frigid weekend, southwesterly winds on the backside of a high pressure system centered over the Outer Banks will usher a more seasonable air mass back into the Lower Susquehanna Valley today. The moderating trend will continue throughout the week, and high temperatures should reach the low-to-mid 40s both Tuesday and Wednesday. Clouds will increase Tuesday in advance of an approaching disturbance and its associated warm front. Patchy drizzle or freezing drizzle may develop later Tuesday night, but more widespread showers or periods of steadier, light rain should hold off until Wednesday. There could be slick spots on secondary roadways, bridges, and overpasses during the Wednesday morning commute. Rainfall amounts through Wednesday evening are expected to remain under one half of an inch, so flooding won't be a concern despite the addition of gradual snowmelt.

• Like 2

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

lol, nope, not during the work week, I usually just get to check in over lunchtime.

I help to cover on here the early morning, evening, weekends & overnight if snow is approaching.

What do you do if you don't mind me asking?