• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

0z Ensemble probs on the 6-7th storm for >3” 24hr snowfall. Euro EPS vs GEFS. Canadian ensemble mean looked more similar to the Euro swath… which is a pretty solid signal at D7. I’d say we officially got something trackable. 

image.thumb.png.feccb6e90e53f239c9593e8281534abd.png

The system on the 4th-5th is still in play too, via the northern stream since the southern feature mostly stays separate. There may be just enough amp of the northern stream feature to generate an area of light snowfall over the area (something kind of like the 0z GFS). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Only about  one week away...what could change?

Yesterday, the models all keyed on the storm coming up the coast to get us in the game.

Hopefully this continues today. If so, the rest of the week would be about nailing down the exact track to determine amounts & any precip type issues.

Long way to go, but I like where we stand in CTP at this time for a Winter storm chance on the 7th. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

What a beautiful 0z GFS run!

Great hour for you & @paweather with your football team winning & this GFS run.

That was one ugly win.  Mike McCarthy thanks the officials. 

I still worry about cold coming in for this system ala what the Euro shows.   GFS money shot is a thing of beauty though. 

I'm a fan of putting much stock into seasonal trends. Our problem is that it is rare for models to sniff out the correct solution 6 or 7 days out, so when you're in the bullseye this far out....uh boy. Most know this I'm sure. But the seasonal trend this year so far isn't comforting to me because this is arguably the first threat after the pattern change and, up to now, so many of the slp's have been inland runners. So in my mind, that 50/50 to develop from 1/4 system holds our future as to whether everything from here is downhill. All of which means, as good as it looks now, don't fall in love with it because it will likely be Wednesday before some reasonable confidence can be had that we will be able to buck the seasonal trend. Just mho.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm a fan of putting much stock into seasonal trends. Our problem is that it is rare for models to sniff out the correct solution 6 or 7 days out, so when you're in the bullseye this far out....uh boy. Most know this I'm sure. But the seasonal trend this year so far isn't comforting to me because this is arguably the first threat after the pattern change and, up to now, so many of the slp's have been inland runners. So in my mind, that 50/50 to develop from 1/4 system holds our future as to whether everything from here is downhill. All of which means, as good as it looks now, don't fall in love with it because it will likely be Wednesday before some reasonable confidence can be had that we will be able to buck the seasonal trend. Just mho.

Good points, but yesterday at this time we only had models keeping this storm well to the south or no storm showing.

It’s good that there is now a consensus that there should be a storm that comes up the coast. Like you said, plenty of time to work out the details. I like where we sit up here in CTP at this time.

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Good points, but yesterday at this time we only had models keeping this storm well to the south or no storm showing.

It’s good that there is now a consensus that there should be a storm that comes up the coast. Like you said, plenty of time to work out the details. I like where we sit up here in CTP at this time.

Seems like the best the models can do +7 days is see a potential storm and use a dartboard to place it, so anything is possible on them. Between 3-7 days, where we are now, they start honing in. <3 days is the fine tuning when we all hold our breaths, assuming we're still in the game.

As for your location, as is typical with these juicy, Niño systems, the closer to I81 one is, the better. Unless, of course, you get a killer block or 50/50.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Definitely better than we were 48 hours ago but almost too good, too fast for some....still a good problem to have vs last week. 

• Like 2

Happy New Year's Eve Day to all!! It should be a mostly cloudy seasonably chilly final day of 2023. We could ring in the New Year overnight and toward morning with a few light snow showers. Any very small accumulation amounts would be in areas over 700 ft ASL. A cooling trend looks to take place as we move through the week with the next chance of any snow or rain showers toward Thursday. A larger potential event may impact the area next weekend.
Records for today: High 64 (1965) / Low minus 5 (1917) / Rain 1.68" (1906) / Snow 5.0" (1970)image.png.304593c68b17981b0539f9f78b6947c5.png
  • Thanks 1

Unexpected News from Williamsport. This would be our first snow worth counting as anything up here, with an extra inch the next day. Weather.com says back to 48/38 by Tuesday though. Yesterday afternoon we had some relief from the curse of PA grey in the afternoon with actual big patches of blue for a while but the way things look now, I think we will have the predicted all-day dreariness today. Ugh. Still have to be glad no precip or low temps for tonight here in PA or in NYC for ball drop. The unpredictable factor for NYC will be potential protestor disruptions. I hope they skip it but I am afraid they won't.

Sat 06 | Night

31°

58%
ENE6 mph

Snow showers. Low 31F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

That is Mitch's point, in one day we went from well south to bullseye.  

I'm back from a few days away, and like you, I'm about to get invested in the upcoming period that we've been seeing coming for weeks. 

Just hoping the chips fall right for us.  Looking like plenty of opps for storms as the Pineapple connection looks to keep throwin stuff our way.  

• Like 1

Fyi, there's been a lot written about the SSW and a possible split of the PV. Don't know if anyone has continued to follow it, but I  have and the 6z Gfs operational is now splitting the PV again. It had backed off from showing it after a wave 1 hit, but now has it finally splitting after a second wave hit. This is good if it happens. Gefs aren't on board yet, but they always lag the operational on SSW events due to smoothing.

gfs_Tz10_nhem_33 (11).png

• Like 2