• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Shockingly the 18Z GFS does not develop the late week storm as the 12Z did, sends it out to sea which removes the 50/50 low from the equation, and all the analysis of the 12Z is a waste as the cold source tapped at 12Z is gone. 
How far away day wise is this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

How far away day wise is this?

Well on the latest GFS it is gone.  The storm mentioned today is off the SE Coast.    Next Monday.   Just thought it ironic that happens after the discussion earlier.  Model PBP is a waste sometimes. 

Well on the latest GFS it is gone.  The storm mentioned today is off the SE Coast.    Next Monday.   Just thought it ironic that happens after the discussion earlier.  Model PBP is a waste sometimes. 
Next Monday is an a whole decade in model real time.

Sure.   That is why model breakdowns should be taken as model break downs and not forecasts.    
Well all I'm saying is that if Ohtani 2 million a year, 68 million deferred for all 10 years stands, than baseball is dead and I support throwing at his head.

• Haha 1

Well all I'm saying is that if Ohtani 2 million a year, 68 million deferred for all 10 years stands, than baseball is dead and I support throwing at his head.

Baseball needs financial fair play rules like world football. The luxury tax is just a rag the Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox wipe their dicks with after they fuck the rest of the sport. And him deferring that money is criminal in the sense they can now go after Admiral Yamamoto this off-season, snatch up Max Fried next off-season, and probably Soto when he tells the Yankees he's not going to resign with them.

The potential Dodger starting rotation of Fried, Ohtani, Buehler, May, and you bet your sweet ass Trevor Bauer will come back to LA now that he has been exonerated, is insane.

There aren't enough Acuñas on earth to stop that.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Fantastic post by @FXWX in the New England thread…. Great perspective on the Winter…

“Folks forget or choose not to remember the El Nino discussions during the early fall that strongly suggested December would likely run the risk of a being an above normal month with thread the needle events for any shot at meaningful snow threats.  In a lot of ways this December is playing out pretty much according to classic past El Nino years... 

The same long-range outlooks the pointed out the risk of a warmer than normal December, also pointed toward the pattern improving once into or just beyond the Xmas holiday week.  I am in that camp even if the shift to a more favorable setup waits until early January.   This December pattern is nothing like last December and the global pattern is very different.  I do not expect the pattern to flip into an unusually cold regime once into early January and I don't think one is needed to see significant Northeast snows.   As we all know, pattern transitions are commonly a bit later the originally thought so no one should be surprised if the more favorable pattern waits a week or more later than originally projected.

I don't think anyone is talking about a Jan 2015 type of flip, but I expect the large-scale NA pattern will grow more favorable for significant storm action moving into January, even if the regional temperature pattern is close to normal or a bit above normal.  The pattern laid out by 40/70 is a very realistic path forward and one that fits where I think the long-range modeling seems likely to go:  In short, more western ridging, an active Pacific jet under-cutting Western ridging and enough high latitude blocking to allow seasonably cold air masses to visit on a regular basis...”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Blizzard of 93, here is one for you to file in your template folder for future posts.... just change acronyms to CXY and MDT and city/area names to Harrisburg and West Shore and you are ready to go!  :-)

image.png.af5aef142f88222d62447fa67b38ff81.png

Lol, Hey guess what…. MDT recorded another “T” today.

You can’t spell MDT without a T 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Fantastic post by @FXWX in the New England thread…. Great perspective on the Winter…

“Folks forget or choose not to remember the El Nino discussions during the early fall that strongly suggested December would likely run the risk of a being an above normal month with thread the needle events for any shot at meaningful snow threats.  In a lot of ways this December is playing out pretty much according to classic past El Nino years... 

The same long-range outlooks the pointed out the risk of a warmer than normal December, also pointed toward the pattern improving once into or just beyond the Xmas holiday week.  I am in that camp even if the shift to a more favorable setup waits until early January.   This December pattern is nothing like last December and the global pattern is very different.  I do not expect the pattern to flip into an unusually cold regime once into early January and I don't think one is needed to see significant Northeast snows.   As we all know, pattern transitions are commonly a bit later the originally thought so no one should be surprised if the more favorable pattern waits a week or more later than originally projected.

I don't think anyone is talking about a Jan 2015 type of flip, but I expect the large-scale NA pattern will grow more favorable for significant storm action moving into January, even if the regional temperature pattern is close to normal or a bit above normal.  The pattern laid out by 40/70 is a very realistic path forward and one that fits where I think the long-range modeling seems likely to go:  In short, more western ridging, an active Pacific jet under-cutting Western ridging and enough high latitude blocking to allow seasonably cold air masses to visit on a regular basis...”

“Seasonably cold” in January gets it done in New England. “Seasonably cold” in January in the southern half of PA means highs in the mid to upper 30s to near 40.

10 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Blizzard of 93, here is one for you to file in your template folder for future posts.... just change acronyms to CXY and MDT and city/area names to Harrisburg and West Shore and you are ready to go!  :-)

image.png.af5aef142f88222d62447fa67b38ff81.png

If we just continuously move our temperature measurements to cooler and cooler locations, we can will away the warming. I think suburban Western Chester County looks like an ideal candidate to utilize for the DC/Baltimore metro. When they moved the official Johnstown station from the city to the top of a mountain, it completely eliminated the warming. Are there any mountains near CXY/MDT?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TimB said:

“Seasonably cold” in January gets it done in New England. “Seasonably cold” in January in the southern half of PA means highs in the mid to upper 30s to near 40.

Lol… how about Pittsburgh?

Please be real just for 1 freaking second…seasonably cold would be just fine to produce Winter storms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol… how about Pittsburgh?

Please be real just for 1 freaking second…seasonably cold would be just fine to produce Winter storms.

I mean yeah, you can and sometimes do absolutely cash in with a seasonable January. Just don’t expect retention if you’re into that sort of thing.

Just now, TimB said:

I mean yeah, you can and sometimes do absolutely cash in with a seasonable January. Just don’t expect retention if you’re into that sort of thing.

Snow on snow on snow with seasonably cold weather also helps with snow pack retention in January.

Also, overnight lows with snow pack can really tank on calm & clear nights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

If we just continuously move our temperature measurements to cooler and cooler locations, we can will away the warming. I think suburban Western Chester County looks like an ideal candidate to utilize for the DC/Baltimore metro. When they moved the official Johnstown station from the city to the top of a mountain, it completely eliminated the warming. Are there any mountains near CXY/MDT?

Suburban western Chester county is obviously simultaneously in both central PA and the Philadelphia region, seeing as he posts his obs in both, but let’s not get crazy and say it’s DC/Baltimore metro.

It’s not like he posts his obs in their subforum.

Oh wait, he would, but knows they’d never put up with his bullshit there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah just need to get through the next week to 10 days and hopefully the better looks start to have merit once things shuffle a bit further down the road.  

Yes, better days should be ahead later this month.

An improved sustainable pattern in prime climo in January & February would be lots of fun on here to track.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Sarcasm noted but I would be up for moving from MDT.  How does an area that is landlocked, CTP, have one of their official stations surrounded by water on 3 sides?

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

Well then it’s not seasonable, now is it? ;)

I don’t care if there are some sunny days with highs near 40 in January as long as we have a workable pattern.

With the right storm track, high temps in the low 30s with lows in the 20s would work just fine on the day of the storm.

I merely mentioned the effect of snow pack & what it can do to low temperatures with the right conditions.

But please, keep on twisting my words..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I don’t care if there are some sunny days with highs near 40 in January as long as we have a workable pattern.

With the right storm track, high temps in the low 30s with lows in the 20s would work just fine on the day of the storm.

I merely mentioned the effect of snow pack & what it can do to low temperatures with the right conditions.

But please, keep on twisting my words..

If it ever snows again, I’ll be a lot less cynical.

I cannot say this any stronger than this
Anyone-- whether that person is a weather weenie... or weather Hobbyist ...or a Meteorologist -- and they are telling you that the winter is over OR that it will underperform because the 2nd half of DEC pattern change is not going to happen originally thought-- is not just an idiot.
He /she is a fooking idiot.

409650033_749273693898338_3042065347881955041_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=zVLup6c0BOoAX_MzGe5&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfBA_X1VzZZlMEqn1amofCqgl4Ix9_vyzzgoLMHtVy45Hw&oe=657E1214FB_IMG_1702238089195.jpg

The end of the 0z EPS looks encouraging with the ridge moving back into central Canada. The trough is beginning to undercut from the southwest to the south central states. The trough in the Atlantic is reaching back towards the southeast coast & appears to be getting ready to link up with the trough extending to the south central states if the run went out a couple of more days.

IMG_3575.png

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:
I cannot say this any stronger than this
Anyone-- whether that person is a weather weenie... or weather Hobbyist ...or a Meteorologist -- and they are telling you that the winter is over OR that it will underperform because the 2nd half of DEC pattern change is not going to happen originally thought-- is not just an idiot.
He /she is a fooking idiot.

409650033_749273693898338_3042065347881955041_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=zVLup6c0BOoAX_MzGe5&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfBA_X1VzZZlMEqn1amofCqgl4Ix9_vyzzgoLMHtVy45Hw&oe=657E1214FB_IMG_1702238089195.jpg

DT is always a bit rough with his delivery, but he isn’t wrong in this case…

• Like 2

David Tolleris is what you'd get if HBO had a weather show.

"LISTEN HERE YOU FUCKING RETARDS, ITS GONNA SNOW! IT MAY NOT HAPPEN UNTIL AFTER THE ROSE BOWL GAME BUT ITS GONNA SNOW!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET!"

"ANYBODY WHO TELLS YOU THE HEAT MISER HAS WON FOREVER AND THAT THE EAST COAST IS THE NEW SAN DIEGO IS A WHALES VAGINA AND A WALRUSES ASSHOLE. THEY DONT KNOW SHIT!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET!"

"THIS SHITTY MICROSOFT PAINT PICTURE OF THE FLAT FUCKIN EARTH SHOWS YOU THE COLD AIR LIVES HERE. ITS COMING. ANYBODY WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE, YOU GO AND FUCK THEIR SISTER!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET!"

"ALEET?"

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 1