• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

A nice snowy day here.  Mostly light/slowly falling snow but nice dendrites.  Had a few bursts of smallish cottonballs.  Warm ground and marginal temps kept the snow from accumulating more than a few tenths on grassy surfaces here.  If it had been colder we would have accumulated 2"+.  Now that it's nighttime it seems to be sticking better on the grass again.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I can confirm. The two months have finished very close a few times, but at Detroit officially, December has never finished warmer than November (it should not this year either).

Ya, December will end up colder than November here in Toronto. November is so far 3C warmer and that’s without the next few days coming up closer to average 

• Like 1

Have picked up 0.8" here.  If one were able to take official 6hr measurements we surely had more, as there's been several thaw backs of what has fallen throughout this 12hr+ event.  If none of it had melted we likely would have exceeded 4 or 5 inches.  Even though 80% of what fell melted it has still been a great event.  Long-duration steady snowfall.  Unlike what many of the models had advertised, we never transitioned over to rain.

• Like 4

On 12/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, michsnowfreak said:

I can confirm. The two months have finished very close a few times, but at Detroit officially, December has never finished warmer than November (it should not this year either).

I'm at 37.4F for December. November was 37.0F.

So, my December was warmer than November.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Mild 26 this morning with some flurries.  Hi-res models paint as much as 4-6" in a narrow area of the high terrain from Herman right through my back yard late tonight/tomorrow. In an average winter by this point that would almost be a yawn but I'm excited.

I'll yawn for you. lol

• Haha 5

On 12/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Flint will come in with November colder than December by a hair. Reflecting my backyard station.

Detroit will come in with it's 3rd or 2nd warmest December ever -- most likely 3rd. 1st is 2015.  

8 out of 20 warmest Decembers in Detroit all happened in the 2000s.

14 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Flint will come in with November colder than December by a hair. Reflecting my backyard station.

Detroit will come in with it's 3rd or 2nd warmest December ever -- most likely 3rd. 1st is 2015.  

8 out of 20 warmest Decembers in Detroit all happened in the 2000s.

It will finish 3rd warmest. Mild Decembers and snowy Februarys, while not guaranteed, have definitely become a trend in recent years. 8 of the top 20 warmest Decembers happened since 2000 while 10 of the top 20 snowiest Februarys have also happened since 2000.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

It will finish 3rd warmest. Mild Decembers and snowy Februarys, while not guaranteed, have definitely become a trend in recent years. 8 of the top 20 warmest Decembers happened since 2000 while 10 of the top 20 snowiest Februarys have also happened since 2000.

I wonder where this ranks for snowfall and a DJF month at Det and FLT.

16 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I wonder where this ranks for snowfall and a DJF month at Det and FLT.

Terrible lol. Detroit (*snow is possible tmrw tho) the top 10 lowest is below. Although considering all the snow records that have been set the last two decades, you're going to set occasional low snow ones. 

0 - Dec 1889

T - Feb 1998

0.1 - Dec 2014

0.1 - Dec 2023*

0.4 - Dec 1894

0.4 - Jan 1933

0.5 - Dec 2018

0.7 - Feb 1953

0.8 - Jan 1921

0.9" - several 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

What a wild rollercoaster it has been. I remember some winters in the past 10 where it seemed to snow almost everyday in the winter. It seems when we get into a certain pattern, it's hard to break it, even more-so when were in a warm pattern in the winter like we currently are. Luckily when we get arctic blasts  <15 degrees as highs, they don't usually last longer than a week. It would be nice to have a snowy December for once as it sets the tone for the winter. It sucks having to wait this long for decent snow lol.