Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

58 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS not a torch or blizzard for Christmas....and it snows on 2 members....

IMG_2301.png

IMG_2302.png

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

P7 just this once. All these years of posting these f$&@&$ things and we call out that one…can we get a Christmas miracle and just this one time it’s the one.  

I'll just take P1, P7, P10, P11, P14 or P21, I'm not picky....

57 minutes ago, Ji said:

lol it’s the first day of the pattern change. Jb is convinced that positive anomaly is moving west

So am I but unlike JB I don’t just assume I have to be right. I’ve been humbled by Mother Nature enough go know not to celebrate until it’s actually happening. We’ve seen step one sneak into day 15 a few times. I feel better when we actually see step 2-3 start progressing into range. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

blocking is pretty essential in Ninos and the models usually miss it at range unless it’s a classic pig retrograding Scandi ridge. the STJ undercutting Canadian blocking/ridging is usually how you score. they aren’t Arctic cold patterns, but they work

Ya and I’m optimistic but some are downplaying the degradation of the nao look on guidance. That’s the key though imo. The equation we need doesn’t work without blocking.  Positive nao ninos are mostly awful. Luckily they are also fairly rare. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So am I but unlike JB I don’t just assume I have to be right. I’ve been humbled by Mother Nature enough go know not to celebrate until it’s actually happening. We’ve seen step one sneak into day 15 a few times. I feel better when we actually see step 2-3 start progressing into range. 

Not a pessimist nor optimist but, a realist :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Welcome to 3 pages ago. Let me know when you hear about Elvis. 

He still lives and no one can tell me any different!!

In other news, a link for the curious to the CPS MJO weekly write-up

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjoupdate.pdf

Summary: there is a disagreement between the dynamical models which predict the wave dies (potentially due to destructive interference from a CCKW in the Indian Ocean), and the "RMM forecast" which favor continuation of the wave into 7 and beyond.  

Not sure what entity/model is the "RMM forecast" other than the models, but I sure hope they are right.  I've heard many people that the models tend to kill waves too quickly so maybe...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic