• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

How likely is this to push far enough east again so the wind along the immediate coast (NH and ME) is much less than modeled?

That last storm was predicting gusts over 50mph IMBY and we literally had none as it rained.  Picked up to modest 20mph-ish gusts after the storm moved out but that's any regular day around here.  

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

We had the same experiences in the same region.  The 3/19/56 event was memorable in the sense that we weren’t yet at adult height (you could argue I’m still not) making the amount of snow seem so much greater.  My dad was a pharmacist and had to get to work in the final hours of the March 56 storm.  My brother and I were still too small to manage shoveling 2 feet.  Dad ruined our ‘51 Mercury but he made it in time to make sure sick people got their needed medicine.

That March '56 dump was about 3x bigger than any snow I'd seen (except 12/47 when I was 21 months old).  Then 2 more big storms in '58, 2 in '60 and 2 in '61.  Even Fort Kent couldn't approach that cluster of big storms.
I thought that with 10" depth in early December this year, we were good to go.  Alas . . 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I think there’s a strong case to be made that we should get some legit threats in the Dec 28-Jan 10 range…if that period breaks down into a shit pattern, then it might be time to worry. 

Climo chances start to increase rapidly moving forward. I’d say if we get to Jan 10 without something in the column, time to worry for sure

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The number of power outages in the state of Maine surpassed the Ice Storm of 1998.[1]

True, but with caveats:
--2017 caused far less infrastructure damage than 1998 - poles/transformers/wire, etc.
--Comparing outages 2 days (or 2 weeks) after the events show there was little comparison by then.
--The power companies, especially CMP, were doing a poorer job in 2017 than 19 years earlier.

Lots of tree damage in each one, though mostly breakage in 1998 and a much greater proportion of uprooting in 2017.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think there’s a strong case to be made that we should get some legit threats in the Dec 28-Jan 10 range…if that period breaks down into a shit pattern, then it might be time to worry. 

Agreed ...  I've posted about the 28-31st part of that time range over the last couple of days.

The thing is, from a pure numeric value something could emerge between the 23rd and 28th but damn if the models refuse to actual inject anything into the domain during that time frame.  Almost of a head scratch given the degree of the d(PNA), really.   I'm willing to not bitch about it though because I'm seeing an oddly split hemisphere, with a 'relaxed' flow +PNA tendency happening beneath a frenzied higher latitude fast energetic polar jet and the two are seldom in sync... I believe the lower latitude mass-field distribution is modulating the PNA more so than the higher lat neg interference so causing a miss-leading layout.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The number of power outages in the state of Maine surpassed the Ice Storm of 1998.[1]

True, but with caveats:
--2017 caused far less infrastructure damage than 1998 - poles/transformers/wire, etc.
--Comparing outages 2 days (or 2 weeks) after the events show there was little comparison by then.
--The power companies, especially CMP, were doing a poorer job in 2017 than 19 years earlier.

Lots of tree damage in each one, though mostly breakage in 1998 and a much greater proportion of uprooting in 2017.

What still blows me away, is that the 1998 ice storm bought us like 15 years of radar coverage before tree blockage became an issue. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't worry until like January 20th, but that's just me...I wouldn't blame anyone for worrying in early Jan if nothing is imminent. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wouldn't worry until like January 20th, but that's just me...I wouldn't blame anyone for worrying in early Jan if nothing is imminent. 

Let's just start things off with a quick hitting classic new england 4-8" snow from a blossoming low pressure passing over the BM..  No ptype issues .. it's been forever since one of those.. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Let's just start things off with a quick hitting classic new england 4-8" snow from a blossoming low pressure passing over the BM..  No ptype issues .. it's been forever since one of those.. 

Yea, we just need something to break right with some sort of an event to arrest the fatalistic thought process that has afflicted the forum over the last several years.

Hey Will,   ha! 

I just got done head scratching about the lack of injects into the domain between the 23rd and 28th and then this 18z GFS comes out...

Not saying these are producing - haven't even looked at the corresponding surface but this and like this is numerically supported prior to the 28th. So we'll see.   From this range it's more important to see activity that syncs with signals.

gfs_z500_vort_us_44.png

• Like 4

Hopefully we downslope here. Forecast for Ammonoosuc River is over 9.5ft, which is right around where access to my property is cut off and we start seeing water up to the houses. We’ve dodged lots of bullets lately, I feel like we are due. And of course, it’s the worst possible time since we are fully booked for weeks. Grrr. Wish I knew how not to stress over things I can’t control. Then again, that may apply to 99.9% of this forum :)

• Like 3