Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I actually love the ensemble runs last night. Got that retrograding GOA low going toward Aleutians. I think we’re setting up a really nice pattern for early January…we’ll see if we can sneak something in the week after Xmas to close out the month, but I’m not gonna take any toaster baths if that period doesn’t work out….the late month stuff is prob going to favor in and up too with the airmasses still not arctic. 

Totally agree. I looked at stuff before logging on and was kind of surprised at the tone in here lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Totally agree. I looked at stuff before logging on and was kind of surprised at the tone in here lol.

this is the run being complained about. you get one amped storm that leads to in-situ -NAO blocking and forms a 50/50. then, the AK trough retrogrades and pumps the PNA. S/W dives and amps. this would be a crusher verbatim 

IMG_3735.thumb.png.f67133d9e9b21d2db2f451d5fd975a60.pngIMG_3736.thumb.png.9bfd7044de371bd647099360b650c85f.png

13 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is the run being complained about. you get one amped storm that leads to in-situ -NAO blocking and forms a 50/50. then, the AK trough retrogrades and pumps the PNA. S/W dives and amps. this would be a crusher verbatim 

IMG_3735.thumb.png.f67133d9e9b21d2db2f451d5fd975a60.pngIMG_3736.thumb.png.9bfd7044de371bd647099360b650c85f.png

It won’t change overnight, but things are progressing for the better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There’s a reason patience was always considered a virtue…lol. 

I think most of us have been pretty fair about when to get worried and when not to. It’s a bummer that we didn’t sneak an event in during mid-December but I think we have been pretty consistent in saying if we get to late month and it doesn’t look better, then we can get worried…but that hasn’t happened…if it changes for the worst and it looks like we’re gonna punt a l out of January, then I’ll get worried. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s a reason patience was always considered a virtue…lol. 

I think most of us have been pretty fair about when to get worried and when not to. It’s a bummer that we didn’t sneak an event in during mid-December but I think we have been pretty consistent in saying if we get to late month and it doesn’t look better, then we can get worried…but that hasn’t happened…if it changes for the worst and it looks like we’re gonna punt a l out of January, then I’ll get worried. 

yeah if it’s mid-Jan and we’re still staring at a torch for the next 10 days, i will be worried, but there are zero signs of that happening

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the “no changes” stuff is like easily one of the most annoying things ever. the goalposts can be moved forever since they’re never established to begin with

changes in snowfall? height anomalies? the overall pattern? sun angle? geese population? can literally be anything

He only has 5 posts..so Just ignore…it’s quite nice actually. 

As far as I’m concerned today is a beautiful day . 50 and sunny by afternoon Means doing outside activities is somewhat comfortable. Much preferred over 20 and windy .

The only thing I’m mildly interested in with the upcoming system is severe weather threat for Florida where some family is , and comparing number of ski trails open today compared to Tuesday / Wednesday and comparing that across VT/NH. I don’t get wind in Bedford or Nashua and I’m hoping there are some dry Mild hours on Monday 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I seriously can't with Kev. I don't know where he comes up with these things. When he gets fixated on something, he takes it to the top. It's fine, it adds some comedy to the discussion. 

And yes, winter starts next week officially. I think we'd all would have liked to have seen a little snow on the ground for Christmas. But it doesn't end the winter if we don't. And that's a lot of what we've been seeing in these discussions. Thank God for you guys!

Nothing has changed . There is a major windstorm coming and we will all have HWW tomorrow morning. People are just depressed about the now snowless month of Dec 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, that run gave me chills thinking of last year. Hideous run for New England winter lovers. Moose fart Maine might do okay verbatim on the deal after Christmas 

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn’t look at an op run and head for the Taunton River.

Good morning TB2014, CW and everyone else. For almost 10 years I’ve tried to internalize some weather knowledge by becoming, at least, acronym fluent. Only limited success. However what keeps me alive are the golden nuggets such as T B dropped in his post. ‘Moose Fart Maine’ I couldn't resist the look up and found something even better. Perhaps passed around and enjoyed with a favorite beverage might ease many of the forums current concerns. Stay well all, as always ….

IMG_6975.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning TB2014, CW and everyone else. For almost 10 years I’ve tried to internalize some weather knowledge by becoming, at least, acronym fluent. Only limited success. However what keeps me alive are the golden nuggets such as T B dropped in his post. ‘Moose Fart Maine’ I couldn't resist the look up and found something even better. Perhaps passed around and enjoyed with a favorite beverage might ease many of the forums current concerns. Stay well all, as always ….

IMG_6975.png

.....next year you can sell those at THEIR get together!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I actually love the ensemble runs last night. Got that retrograding GOA low going toward Aleutians. I think we’re setting up a really nice pattern for early January…we’ll see if we can sneak something in the week after Xmas to close out the month, but I’m not gonna take any toaster baths if that period doesn’t work out….the late month stuff is prob going to favor in and up too with the airmasses still not arctic. 

“Allsnow liked this” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I won’t lie though. Having December suck is painful. Maybe I’m getting old, but December is a miserable month when there is nothing to track. I don’t need a KU, but a couple of light events  are a lot better than this. Hopefully something happens after Christmas.

We’re paying for that string of awesome Decembers…though honestly, Dec 2019 and 2020 were pretty damned snowy and active but they both got tainted by a nasty cutter or two…including a top 3 worst one in2020.