Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

13 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Can definitely tell where the moisture has been this morning on this side of the state line, temps are much more elevation dependent where it’s been.  Drop down out of the Newfounds into the FB valley and you can see how the cold has filtered in from TN there.  36 at my place, 33 on the Glades and then drop into Buncombe where the moisture has seemed to dry up and bam, uppers 20’s In Leicester and Sandy Mush. I did see a few flakes mixing in the drizzle earlier as the wind picked up. Front seems to bd working through based on that wind and falling dewpoints. Hope everyone gets a surprise later today and tonight.  I think another .25” will put me over 1” total for the year :arrowhead:

Yep I'm right at 36 here as well. I was really surprised we weren't lower.  But hopefully the upper atmosphere becomes more conducive to snow falling. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep I'm right at 36 here as well. I was really surprised we weren't lower.  But hopefully the upper atmosphere becomes more conducive to snow falling. 

It was 32 when I went to bed, figured we’d hold there or drop a few degrees but looking at weather station data it was 36 by midnight and hung around there ever since.  I’ll miss whatever falls since I’ll be in Charlotte, hopeful for seeing something other than the token flakes I’ve seen all season late week into the weekend. Keeps up and we’ll need a “Non-State line aka Everyone not @Buckethead or @nchighcountrywx Mountain thread” post.  Really break things down since our foothill brethren left us :lol: 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I have dropped to 34 so hopefully we are headed in the right direction.  I still feel good about this event.  Maybe just a but delayed. 

If it makes it the least over the mountain, I feel like this will be a solid event for y'all. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

It was 32 when I went to bed, figured we’d hold there or drop a few degrees but looking at weather station data it was 36 by midnight and hung around there ever since.  I’ll miss whatever falls since I’ll be in Charlotte, hopeful for seeing something other than the token flakes I’ve seen all season late week into the weekend. Keeps up and we’ll need a “Non-State line aka Everyone not @Buckethead or @nchighcountrywx Mountain thread” post.  Really break things down since our foothill brethren left us :lol: 

Didn't realize until you mentioned this that there is now a Foothills thread.  Since I live in the French Broad Valley, should I start a Mountain Valley thread ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

c772e54d97e005b9802c7ba2ebd1b652.jpg

Probably half an inch up here in Gatlinburg this AM. It is mixing with freezing rain and sleet at times. This afternoon seems to be when the big show gets started with higher rates and all snow. I’m thinking we have a a pretty high ceiling. I am hoping for 5+. Very pretty this morning.

• Like 5

Just now, BhamParker said:

c772e54d97e005b9802c7ba2ebd1b652.jpg

Probably half an inch up here in Gatlinburg this AM. It is mixing with freezing rain and sleet at times. This afternoon seems to be when the big show gets started with higher rates and all snow. I’m thinking we have a a pretty high ceiling. I am hoping for 5+. Very pretty this morning.

I thought you would have 3 or more by now honestly. You can never underestimate the power of a warm nose. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I thought you would have 3 or more by now honestly. You can never underestimate the power of a warm nose. 

That plus no moisture. You want 4 inches of flooding rain. At your service my good man ! You want even just a few flurries, go to hell, lol!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2