Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

30 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Couldn't make it in to work (ICC) I-26 is flooding at the bottom of the mountain near the Columbus NC exit. Took Hwy 176 back home to Saluda and can't believe how much water is on the road and how fast the waterfalls are running.  This is like a tropical system getting caught in the southern Apps.  

They are closing at 12 today. My wife went in this morning. 

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Dang I hate to hear that.  Too much water all at once.

Has only happened once before a few years ago when we got hit 1ith 7in+ in less than a day. The ground is way too saturated. 

Added some new drainage but even that couldn't stop this one :lol:

Also, storming here now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Found in NWS chat. .25 FR in Little Switzerland  

XZYUFUP.jpgfff

We left yesterday, but the outdoor cam I have shows more ice this morning than we had with the Saturday storm. All melted off now, but looked to be every bit of .25” this morning

4 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

max gust was 35.3 just now. 

That gust plowed through here, really intense for about 10 minutes.  We had two big trees topple over but thankfully they were in the woods behind the house and not on my property.  Hearing some rumbling thunder.  I've never seen as much water in our yard as we have now.  

• Like 1

Regardless of whether or not the winds with the main part of the system materialize, I’m concerned about tonight when they pick up from the frontal passage. It truly won’t take much to topple trees after this deluge. 30-40 mph will be more than adequate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnowDawg said:

I think the wedge boundary may be protecting us from the higher winds for now at least.

I have been wondering about that.  honestly, there has been almost no wind here so far.  a few gusts but I haven't noticed any wind the last couple of hours

however we have had a ton of rain - all the streams are out of their banks and standing water at a lot of intersections.  rain has really lightened up the last 30 min or so