Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Ophelia—Tropical Storm Warning for Coastal Mid-Atlantic

WxWatcher007

46 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

There's no other member on this board than @Scraff (well, @CAPE, too) when the power fails, and we NEED to empty out the beer fridge before it all gets warm...or, alternately, transfer it to the ice chests....  :D 

That is a REAL pretty sat pic right there.

So, for those who were here back then...does Ophelia fall just short of being as impactful as Isabel in 2003 in terms of rain or wind? Or not even close? I've seen a few historical charts that showed Isabel dropped 1"-3" in the metro area, but the winds (I think, or at least remember) definitely had in impact in the area.

Isabel knocked a tree into my deck. So, I'd say personally that was impactful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

There's no other member on this board than @Scraff (well, @CAPE, too) when the power fails, and we NEED to empty out the beer fridge before it all gets warm...or, alternately, transfer it to the ice chests....  :D 

That is a REAL pretty sat pic right there.

So, for those who were here back then...does Ophelia fall just short of being as impactful as Isabel in 2003 in terms of rain or wind? Or not even close? I've seen a few historical charts that showed Isabel dropped 1"-3" in the metro area, but the winds (I think, or at least remember) definitely had in impact in the area.

Isabel was an unwinding former high end cat 4 or maybe a 5, lots more kinetic energy built up than Ophelia will have.  Also, its forward speed started to really book at landfall, which I think led to a short period (8hrs) of strong winds.  Rain wasn’t an issue in the metro really, but there was terrible surge in the bay and up the Potomac.  Annapolis and Alexandria were hit hard.  The area of Belle haven and Huntington south of old town were were both severely flooded by surge.  All the bridges on the mount vernon trail were damaged or destroyed (in fact they are replacing them this year), so the seem to last 20 years.  I Iived in the fort hunt area then and now, we were without power for 5 days during Isabelle.  I don’t think Ophelia will be anywhere as impactful.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Gusts, not sustained I believe 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Also due to it being in transition by the time it gets up here. 

Transition more likely the reason. Winds are forecast (just north of Bay Bridge):

Tonight NE wind 19 to 24 kt, with gusts as high as 34 kt. Rain, mainly after 11pm. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Saturday NE wind around 30 kt, with gusts as high as 44 kt. Rain. Seas 5 to 6 ft.
Saturday Night NE wind 27 to 32 kt decreasing to 17 to 22 kt. Winds could gust as high as 41 kt. Rain. Seas 6 ft subsiding to 3 ft.

Though models actually show strongest winds tonight closer 30-35kt gusts 50kt+

14 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Anyone see WPC highlighted us for next weekend for heavy rain from the left overs from this storm. 

Hopefully that is correct!  It will take nearly 10 inches over 2-3 weeks to bring us out of the Drought. 

Ophelia will not do the job.

• Like 1

With the high clouds over Illinois and near the Mississippi River fairly far to the west areas that do not have too many low clouds from Ophelia yet, especially from the metro region westwards, may experience a, at least, briefly gorgeous sunset before any of the aforementioned Midwest clouds try to cut the show short (they're pretty far west so we'll see how long a gorgeous sunset lasts). The further WNW you are the better. (Medium confidence)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, George BM said:

With the high clouds over Illinois and near the Mississippi River fairly far to the west areas that do not have to many low clouds from Ophelia yet, especially from the metro region westwards, may experience a, at least, briefly gorgeous sunset before any of the aforementioned Midwest clouds try to cut the show short (they're pretty far west so we'll see how long a gorgeous sunset lasts). The further WNW you are the better. (Medium confidence)

Honestly the “hurricane sunset” associated with tropical systems is probably what I’m most excited for with this storm.

• Like 3

• mappy unpinned this topic