• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2023

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

Thursday night I still have 70% pops. Looks like the further south the better till then.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hoping the GFS is right for tomorrow night.  While there is support for something, the consensus isnt overwhelming regarding other globals and mesos.  

3 hours ago, Superstorm said:

0.75” from early morning storm.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Had a quick hitting, small cell go right over us to the tune of close .2".  Largest rain in 10 days.  3.05" now in the last 40ish days.  Looks like a lot of the central part of Lanco got smashed when that same small cell turned into a large complex.... with some over 1" totals on WU.   Every bit counts when looking at the GFS for the next 2 weeks. 

.02" here in Maytown.

• Sad 1

Storm centered across Central Chester County this AM dropped over 1" of rain is spots with very little rain across both Northern and Southern Chesco. Rain chances will continue over the next couple days before we dry out for the weekend. Warming trend next week and we may actually see some pretty hot temps with almost all spots exceeding 90 degrees possible in about one weeks time.
Records for today: High 99 (1930) / Low 51 (1924) / Rain 1.82" (1919)
image.png.8a5f045df0e587ca8d254c37384cb025.png

Does anyone remember the date, or at least the year that the central part of Lancaster county got that freak 1' inverted trough/snow squall maybe 12ish years ago? I have no record since I got no snow...but there was a night when the area from Lititz down through Manheim Twp area got up to 12" of snow while the rest of the county was partly cloudy. I do know that some models were indicating something was going to happen but I think it was modeled to happen a bit further east of us. 

At any rate, I remember getting a call early the following morning from a colleague asking if I was going to go into the office...keep in mind that I had nothing beyond a partly cloudy, cold night. When he told me that he had a foot of snow overnight...I thought he was up to some dark, twisted form of tomfoolery. I was not amused. I was even less amused when I found out it actually happened. 

• Haha 1

Does anyone remember the date, or at least the year that the central part of Lancaster county got that freak 1' inverted trough/snow squall maybe 12ish years ago? I have no record since I got no snow...but there was a night when the area from Lititz down through Manheim Twp area got up to 12" of snow while the rest of the county was partly cloudy. I do know that some models were indicating something was going to happen but I think it was modeled to happen a bit further east of us. 
At any rate, I remember getting a call early the following morning from a colleague asking if I was going to go into the office...keep in mind that I had nothing beyond a partly cloudy, cold night. When he told me that he had a foot of snow overnight...I thought he was up to some dark, twisted form of tomfoolery. I was not amused. I was even less amused when I found out it actually happened. 

I believe it was 2009.

.yep…..see here:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Observed-snowfall-totals-inches-over-Lancaster-County-associated-with-the-February-3-4_fig1_242238466
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Thank you SO much! I have been searching online for weeks and kind of stunned that I hadn't found anything about it. 

Appreciate it!

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I remember it well.  My buddy who runs a pizza shop near the airport called me to say he had almost a foot of snow and I was like what the hell are you talking about haha.  See below for LNP's writeup of the event including thoughts from Horst (note this was written before the event ended so totals ended up much higher).  Also, I see what you did there with the use of tomfoolery!

It was the wintertime equivalent of a summer downpour.

What could be called a snow thunderstorm, minus the thunder, dumped more than 4 inches of snow by 11 p.m. on parts of Lancaster County Tuesday, but other parts did not see a single flake.

"For some people in Lancaster County, this could be the biggest snowstorm of the season, while for others, they're saying, 'What snow?' " Millersville University meteorologist Eric Horst said.

Horst said the wintry deluge was caused by an arctic air mass moving into the area, meeting the tail edge of a storm that dropped a dusting of snow on much of the county earlier Tuesday.

"This is where the leading edge of the arctic air is meeting the exiting storm," Horst said. "It's like a boundary, a mini front, that is producing this snow squall."

The front produced a curving band of heavy snow, Horst said, and "if you're under it, you're going, 'My goodness.' "

Radar seemed to show the storm set up over the heart of Manheim Township, extending on a line from Route 30 near Lancaster city, north toward Neffsville, on up to Lititz and Brickerville. The storm, Horst said, is "remarkably stationary," the type of storm "that sets up over an area and just pounds somebody for an hour or two, like a gutter-gushing thunderstorm would."

"It's like a thunderstorm that doesn't move," he said. "So basically, 80 percent of Lancaster County is seeing nothing, but if you're under this narrow band of heavy snow squalls, it's just dumping."

The snow began about 8:30 p.m., and by 10:30 p.m., Richard Wolf, who lives near Landis Valley, had "5 inches of snow at my house."

"We're getting blasted," Wolf said.

PennDOT has responded by putting all 66 trucks on the road, Rick Ferguson, the assistant county maintenance manager, said.

"We have a full shift on until midnight and another full shift coming in at midnight," he said Tuesday night. "They'll work until … noon."

Though the storm is not hitting the entire county, Ferguson said trucks will do their regular routes "because we don't know where it might move to."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I remember it well.  My buddy who runs a pizza shop near the airport called me to say he had almost a foot of snow and I was like what the hell are you talking about haha.  See below for LNP's writeup of the event including thoughts from Horst (note this was written before the event ended so totals ended up much higher).  Also, I see what you did there with the use of tomfoolery!

It was the wintertime equivalent of a summer downpour.

What could be called a snow thunderstorm, minus the thunder, dumped more than 4 inches of snow by 11 p.m. on parts of Lancaster County Tuesday, but other parts did not see a single flake.

"For some people in Lancaster County, this could be the biggest snowstorm of the season, while for others, they're saying, 'What snow?' " Millersville University meteorologist Eric Horst said.

Horst said the wintry deluge was caused by an arctic air mass moving into the area, meeting the tail edge of a storm that dropped a dusting of snow on much of the county earlier Tuesday.

"This is where the leading edge of the arctic air is meeting the exiting storm," Horst said. "It's like a boundary, a mini front, that is producing this snow squall."

The front produced a curving band of heavy snow, Horst said, and "if you're under it, you're going, 'My goodness.' "

Radar seemed to show the storm set up over the heart of Manheim Township, extending on a line from Route 30 near Lancaster city, north toward Neffsville, on up to Lititz and Brickerville. The storm, Horst said, is "remarkably stationary," the type of storm "that sets up over an area and just pounds somebody for an hour or two, like a gutter-gushing thunderstorm would."

"It's like a thunderstorm that doesn't move," he said. "So basically, 80 percent of Lancaster County is seeing nothing, but if you're under this narrow band of heavy snow squalls, it's just dumping."

The snow began about 8:30 p.m., and by 10:30 p.m., Richard Wolf, who lives near Landis Valley, had "5 inches of snow at my house."

"We're getting blasted," Wolf said.

PennDOT has responded by putting all 66 trucks on the road, Rick Ferguson, the assistant county maintenance manager, said.

"We have a full shift on until midnight and another full shift coming in at midnight," he said Tuesday night. "They'll work until … noon."

Though the storm is not hitting the entire county, Ferguson said trucks will do their regular routes "because we don't know where it might move to."

Thank you! Including Horst is always a win. :) 

I actually started my search with him, I remember quite clearly his twitter posts the following morning. I wasn't able to go back far enough on twitter to find this. 

We talk about once in a lifetime weather events...this is certainly one of them. These things simply don't happen in Lancaster county PA. In the snowbelts, sure. Not here. This will likely never happen again. 

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thank you! Including Horst is always a win. :) 

I actually started my search with him, I remember quite clearly his twitter posts the following morning. I wasn't able to go back far enough on twitter to find this. 

We talk about once in a lifetime weather events...this is certainly one of them. These things simply don't happen in Lancaster county PA. In the snowbelts, sure. Not here. This will likely never happen again. 

31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To all who provided information, thank you very much! In my nearly 58 years on earth, this stands out to me as the biggest freak weather event to ever hit my county. 

And I was on the outside looking in. But it was still amazing. 

Completely agree.  I said the same at the time, and I also concur that we won't see anything like it again. 

• Like 1

12Z Nooner Model parsing suggests Thursday night is looking lean outside NE PA.    Globals show LSV rain but the meso's (except Fv3)  tell the true story of the energy currently being progged to focus more North of the LSV area. 
Don't sleep on overnight as the boundary comes north

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk