• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

I'm not sure what's more impressive about this forecast. The fact that we're going to absolutely annihilate the consecutive 110 degree record or that we've already had three consecutive mornings with a low of 90 or above creating the chance of going nearly fourteen straight days where the temperature does not drop below 90.

Screenshot_20230713_185323_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I'm not sure what's more impressive about this forecast. The fact that we're going to absolutely annihilate the consecutive 110 degree record or that we've already had three consecutive mornings with a low of 90 or above creating the chance of going nearly fourteen straight days where the temperature does not drop below 90.

Screenshot_20230713_185323_Chrome.jpg

The people moving to Phoenix in droves (not you, you are fully aware of the climate) have to be really second guessing themselves. 

Moving to a desert isn’t smart, learn more at my Ted Talk. 

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

The people moving to Phoenix in droves (not you, you are fully aware of the climate) have to be really second guessing themselves. 

Moving to a desert isn’t smart, learn more at my Ted Talk. 

It's a big reason why for years the stats said that for every three who move here, two leave. If it weren't for the extremely hot summers, Phoenix and the metro area as a whole would probably rank #3 in population with only New York and LA being bigger.

And I have to add that even though I am fully aware of, and like the climate, it's a bit mind blowing to be slammed by mid 90's heat (this morning's official low was 95) walking out the door at 5am.

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

It's a big reason why for years the stats said that for every three who move here, two leave. If it weren't for the extremely hot summers, Phoenix and the metro area as a whole would probably rank #3 in population with only New York and LA being bigger.

Water is going to be a huge problem in a few years. No idea how they’ll handle it. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Water is going to be a huge problem in a few years. No idea how they’ll handle it. 

That's a good question. Short term, this past winter filled our local lakes/reservoirs, but if it was just an anomalous winter, then yes, water will be a big problem.

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yep these areas were not built for so many people, especially during a mega drought which could continue on for decades more. Now if we were getting pre-2000 rains it wouldn't be as big a deal but as long as the mega drought continues it will only get worse. We'll have to see how this oncoming winter is because if we continue getting extremely wet winters often it could be a sign that the mega drought is finally over. Some of them do end around this time frame after 25 years so it's possible.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't too much anymore...but I am a proud coach and father of an LNP championship team. Donegal 2014 14U Champs. There might even be a picture on the tournament website of my son on the mound dealing against Lititz in the semifinals...

Oh wow, I’ll have to look into that. Congrats coach!  I played on Mount Joy Blue back in the mid 90s and we lost a couple times in the New Era Tournament (now LNP) to the Jeff Smoker-led Manheim teams. Yes that Jeff Smoker, the starting QB for Michigan State and a solid NFL career. I see that Manheim and Donegal are currently playing for the 12-U title. I always get a bit nostalgic going back to Kunkel Field. 

So will we get this unexpected but now predicted .33 of rain here in Williamsport? We got a Severe Thunderstorm Warning but we are not named in it; closest place is Jersey Shore, 16 miles away. 

I will come back and update about what looks to me like a sure thing dynamic.jpeg.3b71947508c7b3689edd09512d52e716.jpeg

1:35am Update. I checked two weather stations for Williamsport and both said we had .39 of rain. I didn't think we even made the .33 predicted. The storms are continuing northeast so a lot of Lycoming County will end up with something. Let's keep that rain coming!

It looks like most of the 90 degree temps yesterday across Chester County were in the lower spots under 500 ft ASL. Muggy today with some showers and thunderstorms possible late this afternoon into tonight. Tomorrow looks like the driest day of the weekend before rain chances increase again for Sunday.
Records for today: High 100 (1954) / Low 51 (1904) / Rain 2.98" (1928)
image.png.65d7180a3058ce182b4625d6cc4e824b.png

9 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Oh wow, I’ll have to look into that. Congrats coach!  I played on Mount Joy Blue back in the mid 90s and we lost a couple times in the New Era Tournament (now LNP) to the Jeff Smoker-led Manheim teams. Yes that Jeff Smoker, the starting QB for Michigan State and a solid NFL career. I see that Manheim and Donegal are currently playing for the 12-U title. I always get a bit nostalgic going back to Kunkel Field. 

Time for a Kunkleburger! :) 

So as a Mount Joy Blue alumnus, you no doubt played for Ron Wagner? 

I don't too much anymore...but I am a proud coach and father of an LNP championship team. Donegal 2014 14U Champs. There might even be a picture on the tournament website of my son on the mound dealing against Lititz in the semifinals...

My sons 14U team beat the Donegal Green team for the championships last month.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Time for a Kunkleburger! :) 

So as a Mount Joy Blue alumnus, you no doubt played for Ron Wagner? 

Yes! However, when Ron was my coach it was actually when I was on Mount Joy Red for Midget-Midget (now 12-U). Going back to like 93-94 now. Have many fond memories of Ron and his assistant Wayne. He used to give me rides to practice when my mom couldn’t get home in time. You know him?