• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2023

12 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yes! However, when Ron was my coach it was actually when I was on Mount Joy Red for Midget-Midget (now 12-U). Going back to like 93-94 now. Have many fond memories of Ron and his assistant Wayne. He used to give me rides to practice when my mom couldn’t get home in time. You know him?

Dude, he's an institution! LOL 

Actually, my son played for Elite Baseball for years and they trained in Ron's facility in MJ. (Wag-Bee Printing)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Less than a week until the maximum mean temp and then the slowwwwww decent towards fall commences. :)  

Getting though the Dog Days is in the stars.    Already about 1/3 of the way through.   Met Summer halfway point is here as well. 

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/why-are-they-called-dog-days-of-summer-21705

• Like 1

when i was a kid, this was my favorite time of year. Once league baseball was over, we would all gather at the local park and play pickup baseball. I don't ever remember being home until later in evening. we'd show up back home dirty, bloody, probably stunk to high heaven :thumbsup:. our mom had our dinner in the oven as they had eaten hours ago. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Getting though the Dog Days is in the stars.    Already about 1/3 of the way through.   Met Summer halfway point is here as well. 

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/why-are-they-called-dog-days-of-summer-21705

I honestly feel different after July 4th - I feel like there's light at the end of the heat tunnel.

September heat messes me up...on one hand, it's frustrating when it's hot and it should be starting to cool off. On the other hand, there's a level of satisfaction knowing that it won't last long. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I honestly feel different after July 4th - I feel like there's light at the end of the heat tunnel.

September heat messes me up...on one hand, it's frustrating when it's hot and it should be starting to cool off. On the other hand, there's a level of satisfaction knowing that it won't last long. 

I think it is asking too much to get no heat in Sept.  Just like it is asking too much to have no heat in May at the end of Spring. I totally agree with your last line that Sept heat is really a reminder that fall weather is kicking in soon. 

• Like 1

These are all based on daily means, I bet if we ran the analysis on minima, it would be even warmer. This humidity has been relentless, ever since the smoke cleared from Canada.

Confirmed. By average minimum temperature, it's been 10th warmest (of 129 years) at IPT, 8th warmest (of 136 years) at MDT, 4th warmest (of 58 years) at DUJ, and 5th warmest (of 65 years) at BFD.

4 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Confirmed. By average minimum temperature, it's been 10th warmest (of 129 years) at IPT, 8th warmest (of 136 years) at MDT, 4th warmest (of 58 years) at DUJ, and 5th warmest (of 65 years) at BFD.

Oh, accidentally deleted the original post. Just showing the means at various sites in Pennsylvania, for the first 13 days of the month. Our cool summer has come to a fiery end. So much for all the long range models showing cool weather. This humidity has been relentless.

24 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Oh, accidentally deleted the original post. Just showing the means at various sites in Pennsylvania, for the first 13 days of the month. Our cool summer has come to a fiery end. So much for all the long range models showing cool weather. This humidity has been relentless.

I do not remember a lot of cooler forecasts for July and August.    Personally for me, this is the first summer since I have come back to the area (2019 Summer) that I have no 90's yet and the humidity has really not seemed that bad to me.   Certainly, humid but typical summer IMO. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I do not remember a lot of cooler forecasts for July and August.    Personally for me, this is the first summer since I have come back to the area (2019 Summer) that I have no 90's yet and the humidity has really not seemed that bad to me.   Certainly, humid but typical summer IMO. 

Totally agree - most forecasts that I saw was for a very hot July and August. 

Last week was undoubtedly humid, not overly hot and not atypical for summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

The 8-14 day outlook valid for this past week from the beginning of them month was cold and wet. While there may have been more rainfall, temperatures have verified warmer than normal. The week 3 & 4 outlook also had cold and wet, and it looks like continued normal to warmer than normal weather for the next week. The 8-14 day again wants to bring cooler temperatures the following week, but I have my doubts.

12 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The 8-14 day outlook valid for this past week from the beginning of them month was cold and wet. While there may have been more rainfall, temperatures have verified warmer than normal. The week 3 & 4 outlook also had cold and wet, and it looks like continued normal to warmer than normal weather for the next week. The 8-14 day again wants to bring cooler temperatures the following week, but I have my doubts.

Hmm, I did not notice that.  I was watching mostly op's and there was variability in highs but nothing much below normal and a lot of days a little above normal.  I did see a lot of days with convection (wet).  Over on the MA board they are talking about "the chance" of getting into Mid-August with no excess heat for the summer, so it is all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hmm, I did not notice that.  I was watching mostly op's and there was variability in highs but nothing much below normal and a lot of days a little above normal.  I did see a lot of days with convection (wet).  Over on the MA board they are talking about "the chance" of getting into Mid-August with no excess heat for the summer, so it is all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. 

All I know is I've had to run the air conditioning since late June. There was a cool spell in late June, but it was marred by dense smoke and so I had to keep the windows shut due to air quality. Since then, it's mostly been low/mid 80s and humidity, with lows in the low/mid 60s. We used to get occasional crisp days in the 70s, where you would go to an outdoor concert or event and it would be in the low/mid 60s and you'd actually be chilly without a jacket or long sleeves. We don't get that anymore.

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

All I know is I've had to run the air conditioning since late June. There was a cool spell in late June, but it was marred by dense smoke and so I had to keep the windows shut due to air quality. Since then, it's mostly been low/mid 80s and humidity, with lows in the low/mid 60s. We used to get occasional crisp days in the 70s, where you would go to an outdoor concert or event and it would be in the low/mid 60s and you'd actually be chilly without a jacket or long sleeves. We don't get that anymore.

It certainly has been anything but cool. July is already the hottest month of the year, and the records show many areas are running close to the 90th percentile for the first two weeks of the month [i.e., warmer than 9 out of 10 years]. Even at PIT, where the thermometer has oddly been running a bit cooler than most surrounding sites, it's 20th warmest out of 78 years at the airport site, so roughly 75th percentile.

75-90th percentile for heat at the hottest time of the year is certainly not cool, by any stretch of the imagination. No matter how it's distorted. I like to look at actual data, not conjecture about lack of "extreme heat" - whatever that means. That's a subjective thing. It's been very hot. There were 17 heat-related hospitalizations at the Ed Sheeran concert this past weekend in Pittsburgh, even though the air temperature was only lower 80s.

16 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

We have not had that since I came back 5 years ago, agreed.  Cooler mid-summer days are usually humid and wet recently. I just scanned back to 2019 and did not see any days in Jul. or Aug of 19-22 where the highs were in the 70's without precip and warm lows (re: cloud/rain caused).