• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2023

I keep a lot of detailed personal records...

Going back 40 years to the year I graduated high school, the hottest average daily high temp for July here is 90 degrees...and that occurred in 1983. (MU's climatology numbers support my data) I had 19 days that month at or above 90...61% of the month was in the 90s.

Now - here is the big change. In 1983, during July there were only 3 nights at or above 70. One of which the low was 70. I've already surpassed that this month. 

Those are actual numbers. Looking carefully at numbers, daytime highs have definitely trended downward over the past 40 years in July. Numbers back it up. At the same time, overnight lows have increased substantially more than high temps have decreased. The end result is that Julys are indeed slightly warmer on aggregate, and we're suffering more because it simply does not cool down at night like it used to. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Going back 40 years to the year I graduated high school, the hottest average daily high temp for July here is 90 degrees...and that occurred in 1983. (MU's climatology numbers support my data) I had 19 days that month at or above 90...61% of the month was in the 90s.

Now - here is the big change. In 1983, during July there were only 3 nights at or above 70. One of which the low was 70. I've already surpassed that this month. 

Those are actual numbers. Looking carefully at numbers, daytime highs have definitely trended downward over the past 40 years in July. Numbers back it up. At the same time, overnight lows have increased substantially more than high temps have decreased. The end result is that Julys are indeed slightly warmer on aggregate, and we're suffering more because it simply does not cool down at night like it used to. 

That is good data.  Drumming the same beat as some other discussions the last few years...the lows are the devil in the detail.   MDT's max so far this July is only 92. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is good data.  Drumming the same beat as some other discussions the last few years...the lows are the devil in the detail.   MDT's max so far this July is only 92. 

My high today so far is 93, but I'll back that down one notch since all we care about on here is what happens at MDT. :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hmm, I did not notice that.  I was watching mostly op's and there was variability in highs but nothing much below normal and a lot of days a little above normal.  I did see a lot of days with convection (wet).  Over on the MA board they are talking about "the chance" of getting into Mid-August with no excess heat for the summer, so it is all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. 

This piqued my curiosity, so I decided to take a look at the numbers for DCA and it's the same exact story as Pennsylvania. 15th warmest (out of 152 years), so that is 90th percentile temperature. We live in a world where 90th percentile heat at the hottest time of the year is considered to be a major victory, because we are so used to it being 95-99th percentile each year. It's just the nature of the world we are living in. DCA is easily beating years like 1988 & 1995, from my youth, that were considered to be unbelievably hot. Even just a tiny fraction of a degree below 1999 to date.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

This piqued my curiosity, so I decided to take a look at the numbers for DCA and it's the same exact story as Pennsylvania. 15th warmest (out of 152 years), so that is 90th percentile temperature. We live in a world where 90th percentile heat at the hottest time of the year is considered to be a major victory, because we are so used to it being 95-99th percentile each year. It's just the nature of the world we are living in. DCA is easily beating years like 1988 & 1995, from my youth, that were considered to be unbelievably hot. Even just a tiny fraction of a degree below 1999 to date.

Yea, historically this July has not been cool per the data you posted.  People have been conditioned to accept minor victories at this point.  Plus, the coolish June is making July seem worse IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Would be interesting to see humidity/dew point data over the same period. I’m guessing whatever patterns bring humidity here were not around back then allowing cool offs in the evening. 

Well that and this region has grown exponentially since then. 

46 minutes ago, canderson said:

Would be interesting to see humidity/dew point data over the same period. I’m guessing whatever patterns bring humidity here were not around back then allowing cool offs in the evening. 

Well that and this region has grown exponentially since then. 

It was plenty humid in the 80's and 90's.    I am definitely on the train that it is hotter now, but it was never (in modern times) 75/55 all summer here.  Some people will not live here because of the humidity.   Case in point, here is 1988 which is a random 80's date I picked.  Great summer weather for a few days then MUCH worse than anything we have experienced this year.  Frying Panel/Hell weather.  The Low stayed 66 and above 24 days.   We are literally living a cream puff summer compared to this month.  15 of the 31 highs below are higher than the high so far this July at MDT.   The thing that really sends home the point, the highest Average temp this month so far has been 82.5.   10 days below exceed that number with a peak of 87...think of that, an average temp for the day of 87 which is the "normal high" for the day!!

image.png.891d1bebbba1788a73f70b1e285c2327.png

image.png.f83b553da153798a36e00b98e12b3861.png

Another .55 today and over 4" for the month. Over 10" since June 1st.  Crazy.

Drove back from Pittsburgh today and that storm that jumped up from Altoona and State College and along Route 80 was ridiculous. Want to see some of the rain totals from places from exit 164 out to 195 heading east. 80 was under water.

Picked up a strong storm around supper time.

Lasted about 10 minutes but strong winds and lots of lightning.

Picked up 0.40” of rain. But lost our power for a few hours.

The generator that never gets used, that my wife complains about actually was pretty handy.

• Like 1