• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

Still moderate rain and lightning.  It now has been raining and lightning since 6:35 pm.  We have a 24-hour total of rain here at 2.50" 67 degrees currently.

Our next two storms are in the pipeline leaving Montanna into the Dakotas right now and another for the weekend leaving Puget Sound.  I don't remember an active patter like this in August. 

The sky today was hazed up a bit not sure if it was an overabundance of water vapor or Candian Smoke?

1 hour ago, mattinpa said:

Not too bad in Royersford - heavy rain, wind not terrible and some lightning. Appears I just avoided the worst.

Pretty much matches what happened here. One really strong gust when the line first hit.

About .40” this morning with another .50” this evening. Still getting an occasional lightning flash and thunder.

69F/DP 68F

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

Tried to go pick up my daughter at a friend’s house and the road to the neighborhood is closed, trees down…looped around to come from the other direction and that end was closed too…guess she’s spending the night…

Had an experience like that from Floyd. This was pretty vigorous wind wise, still no power here and no indication of when we might get it back. Think Peco is momentarily overwhelmed...

With the road closed, the only sound here is the neighbor's generator, and katydids....very dark, lol.

14 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Had an experience like that from Floyd. This was pretty vigorous wind wise, still no power here and no indication of when we might get it back. Think Peco is momentarily overwhelmed...

With the road closed, the only sound here is the neighbor's generator, and katydids....very dark, lol.

Yeah I drove down spring valley to Marshall and there were trees and downed wires everywhere…we did get power back here recently, hope yours comes on soon

• Thanks 1

Had a TOR warning about 6:10pm about the same time the power stayed out.  I did go to the basement, and grateful it flew by pretty quickly.  Driving rain and wind, then it calmed down to your normal thunderstorm. A good 45 minutes of thunder. No damage thankfully.  Power was restored sometime during the night 2-3am I think.

Windows are open waiting on the cold front.

1 hour ago, jhotdog said:

Where is the cold front at now?

It just came through Media Delaware County winds have just shifted to the NW last 5 minutes sun is out now.  I would say the cold front is right on the beaches of the Delaware River heading east into New Jersey fairly rapidly too.  The front should clear the beaches along the Jersey Shore by 10 am if not sooner. 

A breezy day on tap today following the storms last night. Temps should average below normal in the upper 70's for highs. Next chance of showers on Thursday night followed by a rare warmer than normal weekend with temps reaching the middle 80's.
Records for today: High 100.5 (1900) / Low 47 (1989) / Rain 1.81" (1910)
image.png.3567401037baf4ff3c446156b1c0a0e2.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jhotdog said:

Where is the cold front at now?

Looks to be near Harrisburg.

Ended up with a high of 87 yesterday and 1.52" total rain from both rounds. This morning's low was 69 and it's currently mostly cloudy with occasional sun and 73, with dp 70.

ETA to note that one of my sisters (the Upper Darby one) who travels up this way to go to the Flourtown Swim Club said that she got a notice that they were closed due to downed trees there (it is in Springfield (Montco) Township) a few miles from me.

nws-surface-9z-90fwbg-08082023.gif

In Glen Mills not far from Cheyney Road. All that happened on our property was the patio table was picked up and tossed onto the vegetable garden fence. Fence survived as did the tomatoes. 

But it's a mess around here. One of our neighbors had a tree come down on their house. No surprise the power is still out. Roads closed all over the place. PECO estimate is 11PM tonight. That would be lucky.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blackhound said:

In Glen Mills not far from Cheyney Road. All that happened on our property was the patio table was picked up and tossed onto the vegetable garden fence. Fence survived as did the tomatoes. 

But it's a mess around here. One of our neighbors had a tree come down on their house. No surprise the power is still out. Roads closed all over the place. PECO estimate is 11PM tonight. That would be lucky.

Near S concord  road and Brinton lake road IMG_4057.thumb.jpeg.c4b6f01c78fa71bc6061f6be90dfb04d.jpegIMG_4059.thumb.jpeg.0b6afc434580a1e035436fa36266ada7.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Large tree limb down on the front lawn this morning. If that's the worst around here, I lucked out!

71F/DP 68F

Two transformers blew up around here. One I saw/heard at a distance (Lit up the sky) and the other I just heard.The sound is unmistakable. Oddly enough I only lost juice for 10 minutes. I thought I was screwed...

73F/DP 64F  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Two transformers blew up around here. One I saw/heard at a distance (Lit up the sky) and the other I just heard.The sound is unmistakable. Oddly enough I only lost juice for 10 minutes. I thought I was screwed...

73F/DP 64F  

I figured you were out driving yesterday and saw one of these -

8652f9b1dd66eb075243d3fdd2f0420e.jpg

:lol:

I drove around here earlier this morning and there were some small branches and other leaf debris on the streets but didn't see any obvious trees down.  I did see a few streets where Verizon was out blocking lanes and I guess working on their downed wires. There was (and still is) an active breeze trying to mix the humid air out so that was welcome.

Currently breezy with changeable skies, 75 and a not-as-horrid dp of 64.

36 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I figured you were out driving yesterday and saw one of these -

8652f9b1dd66eb075243d3fdd2f0420e.jpg

:lol:

I drove around here earlier this morning and there were some small branches and other leaf debris on the streets but didn't see any obvious trees down.  I did see a few streets where Verizon was out blocking lanes and I guess working on their downed wires. There was (and still is) an active breeze trying to mix the humid air out so that was welcome.

Currently breezy with changeable skies, 75 and a not-as-horrid dp of 64.

I wish. Flying cow/tornado is/are on my bucket list.

Breeze has picked up...not baseball cap friendly day.

75F/DP 64F/Cloudy 

8 hours ago, blackhound said:

NWS is out that way seeing if it was a tornado.  Now Media where I am is directly east of Glen Mills and I will tell you I heard what sounded like a jet plane (probably the low-level jet passing above my head) as 60-70 mph winds were ripping through for about 5-8 minutes could have been a remnant of a tornado yesterday. 

8 hours ago, blackhound said:

Mt. Holly did surveys of various areas of interest including Glen Mills and reported that it was straight line winds.

Looks like my current 80 is my high for today and dp is still 64.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

NWS is out that way seeing if it was a tornado.  Now Media where I am is directly east of Glen Mills and I will tell you I heard what sounded like a jet plane (probably the low-level jet passing above my head) as 60-70 mph winds were ripping through for about 5-8 minutes could have been a remnant of a tornado yesterday. 

I just posted just below your reply that Mt. Holly reported that all of the surveyed locations experienced straight line wind damage.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blackhound said:

Just got power back here - Yay! We have a small 4000 watt generator that I dusted off last night to save the food in the fridge. Now it's quiet and also a really nice evening out.

I do my best backup power research during outages, lol. Looking at battery backup with solar input capability this time around. Not cheap, but would be nice for next time. It's easy to get complacent since it doesn't happen too often.

Hope you get your power back soon too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Just got power back here - Yay! We have a small 4000 watt generator that I dusted off last night to save the food in the fridge. Now it's quiet and also a really nice evening out.

I do my best backup power research during outages, lol. Looking at battery backup with solar input capability this time around. Not cheap, but would be nice for next time. It's easy to get complacent since it doesn't happen too often.

Hope you get your power back soon too!

Congrats on the power restoration. Ours came on around 4 pm. Welcome surprise. We have an 8 kilowatt generator that hooks up to a transfer switch panel. The power goes out so often around here we had to do something. It runs most of the house. It will electrify the first floor and the master bedroom/bathroom, run the well pump, the freezer, the refrigerator/microwave and all the kitchen sockets, some of the ceiling fans, and the gas furnace. Worth every dime.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

It roared past us coming south to north. The flowers in the garden were all bent at the same angle. Short lived but potent. Yeah, looks like it was straight line winds this time. Although a few years ago, Cheyney Road was hit hard by what I think was finally determined to be an EF1. 

• Like 1

Mt Holly confirmed a couple of hours ago that a tornado did touch down in east Allentown near the same area 15 years ago  yesterday - Dieruff High school area.  Magnitude/track  is not yet known. I expect after seeing the damage myself that it was an F0 or F1 at the most.  IMHO, twisted trees  with snapped off branches near the top of the tree canopies was one of the confirming issues along with siding being peeled away from the sides of several structures and pvc panels from solid 8 ft high stockade panels scattered amongst the debris field. 

Lower Macungie Township township building near my house , trees across the powerlines which brought down tons of wires closing Brookside Rd most of the day- power out at the township building and they  had to operate on the generators most of the day. 

• Like 1