Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

36 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Well, it’s smart to be very skeptical, but let’s just hope things can trend in the direction we want them too. That high/ridging looks to be getting stronger the last couple days. But as we all know there’s a very long way to go here. 

Why do you want a hurricane to hit New England? Personally, I can do without it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Why do you want a hurricane to hit New England? Personally, I can do without it.

I guess it would be exciting weather wise but the effects of a big time hurricane is not something you would want to deal with. 

It would be fun for a couple hours and then every tree would start snapping and falling down. Your house would be target practice 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

First trough over the SE creates a weakness that pulls this N. Not sure how we avoid that. 

We don't...  this will be one of those great looking systems that doesn't have a chance of getting to coast.  Should put on a nice satellite image show though...

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

What a waste then…another fish storm.  Hopefully it doesn’t even materialize if that’s the case. :thumbsdown:

That's why the repeat period is so long... it's like trying to paddle upstream into an increasing strong current; most of the time it succeeds in turning you away.  Basic meteorology shows New England is usually fully embedded in the westerlies.  I wouldn't say the odds of this getting to the coast is zero, but they are low... could it make a close approach? Yes but work needs to be done to get it to the coast.  Still time in the season for another threat or two...  actually the odds increase a bit once more vigorous polar short waves start to show up... 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FXWX said:

That's why the repeat period is so long... it's like trying to paddle upstream into an increasing strong current; most of the time it succeeds in turning you away.  Basic meteorology shows New England is usually fully embedded in the westerlies.  I wouldn't say the odds of this getting to the coast is zero, but they are low... could it make a close approach? Yes but work needs to be done to get it to the coast.  Still time in the season for another threat or two...  actually the odds increase a bit once more vigorous polar short waves start to show up... 

Thanks John, appreciate the explanation.  I do understand the whole idea…and also understand the repeat period length.

But the way I see it, We’ve been very fortunate, and are beyond the repeat time for a full fledged hurricane to impact SNE.  Can only get so lucky so many times, before the luck runs out, and one gets pulled up here. I think we’re coming close, or are past that repeat period. No? 

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Game is still very much on . Nothing can be or should be ruled out 

Yes I do agree at this early stage. Thing isn’t even a depression yet. And days and days away from even approaching the east coast. But things need to keep evolving to have a legit shot. The next few days will be telling for sure.  Very Low confidence currently anything can come of it, but still too early to be ruled out completely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also if you have rapid intensification, there is a thing called beta drift that occurs. Without getting technical, the strong storms tend to drift ever so much to the right or poleward. That would increase the chance of getting kicked out to sea.

Oh ya, I get that too.

Well thing hasn’t even formed yet, so just have to give it some time. 

31 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes I do agree at this early stage. Thing isn’t even a depression yet. And days and days away from even approaching the east coast. But things need to keep evolving to have a legit shot. The next few days will be telling for sure.  Very Low confidence currently anything can come of it, but still too early to be ruled out completely. 

Agree Wolfie... we can never sleep on the threat... and we don't need a Cat 3 at LF to have major impacts.  The nature of our hardwood forecast and densely populated region opens the door to widespread long duration power issues even with a solid Cat 1 / 2...

• Like 2