Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow 117 is pretty good, who do you get your service from at 117?

for that price I might consider switching too.

calling them every year is tiring... especially since I usually have to make multiple calls since the first person I talk to usually says they don't have any current "plans" to offer me.

Verizon.  They're evil too, but the deal was pretty straight forward and it's not a 'temporary/promotional' rate.

I read that other cable companies (I think Spectrum) are dropping the cable TV and soft-forcing their their customers to stream the cable line-up.  At least then you can lose the cable box, but it has been a hardship for some elderly people confused by streaming navigation.  Other than the box, it didn't lower their cost

You do have to factor in the cost of any streaming services that you might want to add.  I had a couple already, so those costs were a wash. I did add sling.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

phones have advanced technologically by leaps and bounds, but it seems like the people who take pictures still want to hold them vertically when you're supposed to hold them horizontally when taking a picture (unless you're trying to take a portrait.)

For when you're away from home and watching a game-- there really is no substitute.

Do you scroll americanwx on your phone vertically or horizontally?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Verizon.  They're evil too, but the deal was pretty straight forward and it's not a 'temporary/promotional' rate.

I read that other cable companies (I think Spectrum) are dropping the cable TV and soft-forcing their their customers to stream the cable line-up.  At least then you can lose the cable box, but it has been a hardship for some elderly people confused by streaming navigation.  Other than the box, it didn't lower their cost

You do have to factor in the cost of any streaming services that you might want to add.  I had a couple already, so those costs were a wash. I did add sling.

Optimum has a new thing called the "wireless cable box" which is sort of like a halfway point between streaming and an actual wired cable box, but I'm not sure how well it will sell (on the positive side, one box covers all your TVs, but I'm not sure how this works if you want to have a different show or game on each TV.)

I like Sling TV I was considering them, especially since they package the same networks I get on cable.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Optimum has a new thing called the "wireless cable box" which is sort of like a halfway point between streaming and an actual wired cable box, but I'm not sure how well it will sell (on the positive side, one box covers all your TVs, but I'm not sure how this works if you want to have a different show or game on each TV.)

I like Sling TV I was considering them, especially since they package the same networks I get on cable.

The wireless cable box sounds like the same thing Spectrum is doing.  It's just another streaming device, like a Roku stick 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I've been outside in below zero temps for short periods of time and anything exposed hurts. I really can't imagine standing out there for 3 hours

Yeah I don't miss single degree and below zero temps.  If we could get enough snow, I wouldn't mind not getting temps below the teens.

36 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I heard yesterday that they are allowing people to bring in cardboard. According to Tiki Barber yesterday it keeps your feet warmer if you put the cardboard under your feet. Never heard that before but makes perfect sense. In 2022 we were at the Boston College/Notre Dame game that had the snow squall roll through, awesome experience but our feet were the coldest part, would’ve loved to have some cardboard that day. 

Feet are always the worst.  Giants/Green Bay playoff game in GB , Jets/Steelers snowstorm changing to 33 and rain game and Islanders/Rangers at Yankee Stadium were the 3 most uncomfortably cold experiences of my life. 

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Feet are always the worst.  Giants/Green Bay playoff game in GB , Jets/Steelers snowstorm changing to 33 and rain game and Islanders/Rangers at Yankee Stadium were the 3 most uncomfortably cold experiences of my life. 

I had Foxboro to see the Pats/Jets back in 1991. Uncle had season ticket for Pats. Low 30s and windy as hell. Couldn’t feel my feet/hands and ass was frozen from metal bleachers at that stadium. Good times as a teenager. 

1 minute ago, uofmiami said:

I had Foxboro to see the Pats/Jets back in 1991. Uncle had season ticket for Pats. Low 30s and windy as hell. Couldn’t feel my feet/hands and ass was frozen from metal bleachers at that stadium. Good times as a teenager. 

Green Bay had the metal bleachers too.  Brutal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rjay said:

If I wanted to go to a sporting event in that kind of weather I'd bring battery powered feet warmers.

19 minutes ago, Rjay said:

which one were you at with Giants, Green Bay? Eli -1 (vs Favre) or Eli-2 (vs Rodgers)?  He didn't have any problems in either game lol.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

which one were you at with Giants, Green Bay? Eli -1 (vs Favre) or Eli-2 (vs Rodgers)?  He didn't have any problems in either game lol.

2.  1 was below zero. 2 was cold and windy.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I went to a couple Army Navy games at Giants Stadium back the day that were damn cold. One of the roughest was Rutgers at Army back when I had season tickets, Ray Rice was at Rutgers. Huge crowd but it was rain that changed to snow, cold to the bone, wet and then freezing. Planning on heading out to South Bend for the FSU game next November, hopefully it won’t be too bad. 

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I went to a couple Army Navy games at Giants Stadium back the day that were damn cold. One of the roughest was Rutgers at Army back when I had season tickets, Ray Rice was at Rutgers. Huge crowd but it was rain that changed to snow, cold to the bone, wet and then freezing. Planning on heading out to South Bend for the FSU game next November, hopefully it won’t be too bad. 

I was debating going to that one too.  Should prob bring the wife (BxEngine) with me since it's FSU.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

you're too smart to be into sports

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 4

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/13/sport/peacocks-nfl-game-analysis-spt-intl/index.html

good to see the media calling out the NFL

CNN  — 

The NFL may have finally gone too far. In a move that many critics are calling “greedy” – and with ESPN analyst and famed sports radio host Chris “Mad Dog” Russo going as far as saying the league is “being a pig” – they’ve actually committed to doing something that will likely ensure that far fewer people watch a playoff game.

What do I mean?

In an extremely unusual move, the Kansas City Chiefs vs. the Miami Dolphins game on Saturday night is free only to the people in these teams’ home television markets. All other people will have to tune in to the $5.99 a month Peacock streaming service to enjoy the game.

A look at the evidence suggests those who are upset with the NFL are right to be angry, and the NFL’s arguments for putting this game on Peacock don’t really hold up.

The NFL has claimed it’s an “experiment” and that streaming is the future. They point to the fact that they’ve been streaming regular season Thursday night games on Amazon Prime for a few seasons. The viewership for those streaming games were pretty good this season, especially among young people.

All of that is or may be true, but what the NFL is doing with the Peacock playoff game is something quite different.

First off, this is only the second time in over 50 years that an NFL playoff game is not available in every part of the country for free. Some might point out that there have been playoff games in recent seasons on cable (i.e. on ESPN). Those matchups, however, are almost always simulcast on ABC, which is available for free.

• Thanks 1

The cold hurts. It just hurts. I think that’s the toughest part of going to a cold game.

At least the heat can sometimes kick up a breeze that makes things semi-pleasant or you catch some shade.

Just now, North and West said:

The cold hurts. It just hurts. I think that’s the toughest part of going to a cold game.

At least the heat can sometimes kick up a breeze that makes things semi-pleasant or you catch some shade.

I don't do well in heat lol.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

This was my commentary about streaming having exclusive rights I put it in the NFL thread in the Sports subforum

In the scheme of things the first round of playoffs (in any sport) is pretty meaningless unless it's a team you specifically root for.

The playoffs don't really hold any interest for me until we get to the conference finals.  (in any sport.)  I want to see them actually try to put the conference finals or superbowl itself on streaming only.

I am fine with streaming as long as it's not exclusive.  Why limit yourself to one format anyway? I thought the NFL was smart.  To maximize their ratings they should be on as many platforms as possible.

• Like 1

This was my commentary about streaming having exclusive rights I put it in the NFL thread in the Sports subforum

In the scheme of things the first round of playoffs (in any sport) is pretty meaningless unless it's a team you specifically root for.
The playoffs don't really hold any interest for me until we get to the conference finals.  (in any sport.)  I want to see them actually try to put the conference finals or superbowl itself on streaming only.
I am fine with streaming as long as it's not exclusive.  Why limit yourself to one format anyway? I thought the NFL was smart.  To maximize their ratings they should be on as many platforms as possible.

That’s fair. They’re a business and need to amplify their product as much as possible without making it difficult to obtain. I think *that’s* the issue at the moment: just another service you need to get the entertainment you want.

You can think of it like the weather, if it’s a hobby (not including our friends in here who do it to make a living): it used to be pay for cable for TWC and get a weather radio for Christmas (I did! Thanks, Radio Shack!), but now it’s that, plus pay for TWC app, tropical tidbits (I think), other subscription services… and for what?

It’s entertainment or a hobby or a way to pass the time, but the NFL is tightening the screws, and people are right to be annoyed.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, North and West said:

That’s fair. They’re a business and need to amplify their product as much as possible without making it difficult to obtain. I think *that’s* the issue at the moment: just another service you need to get the entertainment you want.

You can think of it like the weather, if it’s a hobby (not including our friends in here who do it to make a living): it used to be pay for cable for TWC and get a weather radio for Christmas (I did! Thanks, Radio Shack!), but now it’s that, plus pay for TWC app, tropical tidbits (I think), other subscription services… and for what?

It’s entertainment or a hobby or a way to pass the time, but the NFL is tightening the screws, and people are right to be annoyed.

Thanks.

Hey I bought a weather radio from Radio Shack too.  Best $25 I ever spent lol. 

TWC got a lot greedier when they were bought by IBM, they've tightened the screws on WU too (which they bought.)  They now charge you an arm and a leg to download your own data via third party app (I used one to keep spreadsheet data on different PWS) and it's very very expensive.

• Like 1

Just now, Nibor said:

Don’t you like tennis? 

Since we're talking sports, I have too lingering questions that no one has ever been able to answer for me.

In tennis, why does the scoring go 15, 30, 40?  Why isn't it 15, 30, 45? (Maintaining multiples of 15).

And in baseball, why does it only take 3 strikes to strike a hitter out but it takes 4 balls to walk a hitter?