Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Winter/ENSO Disco

40/70 Benchmark

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm reading through your solar/QBO section now and I'm surprised nobody called me out on my post yesterday. I incorrectly stated that descending easterly QBO phase does not favor blocking, when blocking potential increases during the descending easterly phase. I saw your post and went back to my QBO notes to confirm. 

In a notebook I had some notes on QBO/Arctic domain and had strong in parentheses...but I was thinking I meant strong blocking when I meant strong PV...so I had it backwards in my post yesterday :lol: 

I’ll be honest…I was going to, but thought I had it wrong!? With you being the Pro MET and all, I was like oh, I must have understood it wrong when I read it when it was posted in here(by maybe Brooklyn99?) a couple months back lol.  

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’ll be honest…I was going to, but thought I had it wrong!? With you being the Pro MET and all, I was like oh, I must have understood it wrong when I read it when it was posted in here(by maybe Brooklyn99?) a couple months back lol.  

too many notes going on and too much stuff going on :lol: 

19 hours ago, stadiumwave said:
I don't understand. If you look at the 7 day sea surface temperature anomaly on TT there doesn't seem to be any overwhelming warm trend that isn't balanced in some way but colder changing areas. Also, aren't warmer waters a result of decreasing zonal wind anomalies since they cause less upwelling?

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 12.41.20 PM.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm just glad I didn't type up the QBO portion of my outlook yet...I'd be fuming right now with all that wasted work. I'd probably be going home tonight and cuddling a 40 

So easy to get all these 3 letter abbreviations mixed up, along with all their positive and negative siblings….and how they all affect outcomes…lots to(too much sometimes) remember. 

• Like 2

@40/70 Benchmark

I was reading your post and looking at the 2006-2007 winter and noticed you classified it as WQBO while in my notes I put as a descending easterly so I went to look at the QBO data. 

I am guessing QBO phase in the 30mb - 50mb level is what is most important? 

This is why I wrote down descending easterly but clearly 30-50mb level was positive during that time with easterly above it.

image.thumb.png.2965f2e68cca31c006b846d47439c345.png

image.thumb.png.e89e30e1611bd01dd30f6f89808c9ba9.png

17 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

@40/70 Benchmark

I was reading your post and looking at the 2006-2007 winter and noticed you classified it as WQBO while in my notes I put as a descending easterly so I went to look at the QBO data. 

I am guessing QBO phase in the 30mb - 50mb level is what is most important? 

This is why I wrote down descending easterly but clearly 30-50mb level was positive during that time with easterly above it.

image.thumb.png.2965f2e68cca31c006b846d47439c345.png

image.thumb.png.e89e30e1611bd01dd30f6f89808c9ba9.png

Yea, use 30-50mb.

Paul, I feel like your largest issue is that you tend to drown yourself in data......I mean, you are attempting to forecast a four month period at several months lead...be exhaustive in the sense that you cover everything, but don't lose focus of the larger picture, which is really what is paramount. You need to set a scope and stick to it. Relegating myself to the 30 and 5-mb levels that CPC posts is good enough for me.

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll take the hemispheric similarity and roll the dice.

The strength of the El Niño matters a lot. I don’t agree that it is just bad luck that 2009-2010 sucked for snow in New England. Strong/super nino and strong -NAO is a congrats DC pattern, I would take a 2018-2019 repeat over that any day.

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, use 30-50mb.

Paul, I feel like your largest issue is that you tend to drown yourself in data......I mean, you are attempting to forecast a four month period at several months lead...be exhaustive in the sense that you cover everything, but don't lose focus of the larger picture, which is really what is paramount. You need to set a scope and stick to it. Relegating myself to the 30 and 5-mb levels that CPC posts is good enough for me.

Yes, that is a huge issue of mine. I've been trying harder to set a scope and stick to it. I often find myself trying to get too cute when classification of things, needing to understand not everything is textbook. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George001 said:

The strength of the El Niño matters a lot. I don’t agree that it is just bad luck that 2009-2010 sucked for snow in New England. Strong/super nino and strong -NAO is a congrats DC pattern, I would take a 2018-2019 repeat over that any day.

Your thought process is far too rigid and simplistic.... @brooklynwx99had the perfect word for it, which conveniently escapes me. 

Ideally, el nino would be weaker in order to ensure more N stream dominance vs the STJ, but it doesn't have to end as badly as 2010 did, either....we could have easily got hit with that sequence in February, and that season is remembered like 2002-2003, which was a similar el nino.

• Like 1

Yeah the "bad luck" of 2009-2010 I don't think had anything to do with ENSO strength. In fact, that winter was more a borderline moderate/strong event. Technically it's strong because of the threshold values (both within the ONI and ENS-ONI) but it was right on the line. The anomalies within the Arctic domain were intense over a very large spatial area and also pretty far south. If anything, stratospheric processes and stratosphere-troposphere coupling had a much larger role than ENSO. In fact, if you just look at ENSO, the atmospheric circulation was fairly similar to what you would expect for an EL Nino (particularly moderate) it was just distorted a bit due to the Arctic domain. 

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah the "bad luck" of 2009-2010 I don't think had anything to do with ENSO strength. In fact, that winter was more a borderline moderate/strong event. Technically it's strong because of the threshold values (both within the ONI and ENS-ONI) but it was right on the line. The anomalies within the Arctic domain were intense over a very large spatial area and also pretty far south. If anything, stratospheric processes and stratosphere-troposphere coupling had a much larger role than ENSO. In fact, if you just look at ENSO, the atmospheric circulation was fairly similar to what you would expect for an EL Nino (particularly moderate) it was just distorted a bit due to the Arctic domain. 

I think they are connected.....modoki events are more favorable for blocking, and canonical less so.....I think basin wide events are more prone to extratropical forcing.

• Like 1

Its funny how we joke about the snowfall dependence as a mental illness, but I would honestly be more compelled to clinically assess those who feel the need to incessantly fend off potential disappointment with the expectation of a negative outcome. That to me is indicative of the most severe dependency of all.

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its funny how we joke about the snowfall dependence as a mental illness, but I would honestly be more compelled to clinically assess those who feel the need to incessantly fend off potential disappointment with the expectation of a negative outcome. That to me is indicative of the most severe dependency of all.

Rhymes with Devin??

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Your thought process is far too rigid and simplistic.... @brooklynwx99had the perfect word for it, which conveniently escapes me. 

Ideally, el nino would be weaker in order to ensure more N stream dominance vs the STJ, but it doesn't have to end as badly as 2010 did, either....we could have easily got hit with that sequence in February, and that season is remembered like 2002-2003, which was a similar el nino.

i think "reductive" is the word you're looking for. been seeing a lot of that kind of thinking this year with ENSO