Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
2023-2024 Winter/ENSO Disco

40/70 Benchmark

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a great look for Jan/Feb but somewhat ugly for Dec....though at least in Dec you still have decent cold flowing down into the CONUS and not a GOA monster low torching everything, so you'd hope you could sneak in some chances.

That looks like a gradient pattern for our area in December....issue will be is the gradient near Concord, NH, like last winter, or more bodily into SNE.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That looks like a gradient pattern for our area in December....issue will be is the gradient near Concord, NH, like last winter, or more bodily into SNE.

Yeah I commented that it looked like there was decent cold getting into the CONUS for Dec even if it was mostly west of us....but we know that can bleed over the top at times and setup a gradient storm or two.

The ideal scenario is for December to act more Nina-ish and then we flip to classic Jan/Feb El Nino.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I commented that it looked like there was decent cold getting into the CONUS for Dec even if it was mostly west of us....but we know that can bleed over the top at times and setup a gradient storm or two.

The ideal scenario is for December to act more Nina-ish and then we flip to classic Jan/Feb El Nino.

That December pattern reminds me of the 2018-2019 season...hopefully some better luck this December.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That December pattern reminds me of the 2018-2019 season...hopefully some better luck this December.

I thought it looked like blocky recycled garbage coming in. Reminds me of typical Nino December. Probably HP to the north with that look, but would need a decent antecedent airmass.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought it looked like blocky recycled garbage coming in. Reminds me of typical Nino December. Probably HP to the north with that look, but would need a decent antecedent airmass.

Doesn't look quite as bad as some other recycled garbage patterns because you have a pretty strong ridge poking up to the GOA....so even though the EPO isn't strongly negative, you have cross polar flow at least coming from Bering/AK region rather than the source region being the Pacific.

The pattern actually looks really similar to Dec 1967...that month was near normal temps, maybe slightly above (in the 1967 context with '51-'80 normals)....but it had some decent snow chances, although you'd probably take a toaster bath in the 12/28/67 storm which was a classic Rt 128 storm where BOS and the south shore struggled while metrowest cleaned up.

image.png.d79c2a2c39db88b429f20c9b1d0364f8.png

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doesn't look quite as bad as some other recycled garbage patterns because you have a pretty strong ridge poking up to the GOA....so even though the EPO isn't strongly negative, you have cross polar flow at least coming from Bering/AK region rather than the source region being the Pacific.

The pattern actually looks really similar to Dec 1967...that month was near normal temps, maybe slightly above (in the 1967 context with '51-'80 normals)....but it had some decent snow chances, although you'd probably take a toaster bath in the 12/28/67 storm which was a classic Rt 128 storm where BOS and the south shore struggled while metrowest cleaned up.

I'll enjoy the 34F rain and will drive to 90/128 interchange to torture myself. :lol: 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will, nearly 17" in Hingham that month. I'll take it. 8" prior to Christmas and 8" during the event you referenced.

Yeah the coast got decent snow on the front end of that post-Xmas storm....it just got matted down with a lot of rain when it flipped while it stayed snow around 128 and west.

But that's still a good December on the coast.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the coast got decent snow on the front end of that post-Xmas storm....it just got matted down with a lot of rain when it flipped while it stayed snow around 128 and west.

But that's still a good December on the coast.

A white Christmas at least lol. 

Hopefully there's some cold around.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea, that is my take on the Euro look....there is a big ridge just off of the west coast, so its more like a la nina look....you don't have the PAC firehose eradicating all of the cold from the CONUS like you do in those traditional "game over" el nino months of December. I think the interior especially would do okay.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, that is my take on the Euro look....there is a big ridge just off of the west coast, so its more like a la nina look....you don't have the PAC firehose eradicating all of the cold from the CONUS like you do in those traditional "game over" el nino months of December. I think the interior especially would do okay.

With that look, my concern was the cold dumped west with a potential west based -NAO as shown and STJ with higher heights on the coast. That's how it looked to me.

In any case, who knows. Maybe the lower heights off the Canadian Maritimes would help with some confluence.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

With that look, my concern was the cold dumped west with a potential west based -NAO as shown and STJ with higher heights on the coast. That's how it looked to me.

In any case, who knows. Maybe the lower heights off the Canadian Maritimes would help with some confluence.

Certainly the cold dumps west...that's why I mentioned 2018-2019. Its not December 1995, but nor is it Dec 2015.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You will probably like December more than February.

I just want a serviceable pattern in December it is just that, as modeled. Anything early on is gravy.

As long as we have a decent pack by then it won't matter much, I like when we get an early start, The ongoing issue that i see happening is getting enough cold air to freeze ground and waterways before the snow flies, It just takes longer once insulated to achieve that.

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If I'm not mistaken, we had a nice snow storm in December that year. I think it was a little over 12 inches at my house. But it was like 2 days of sleet one day and then this big snow the next. We even had thunder and lightning during the sleet portion of the storm

16 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

If I'm not mistaken, we had a nice snow storm in December that year. I think it was a little over 12 inches at my house. But it was like 2 days of sleet one day and then this big snow the next. We even had thunder and lightning during the sleet portion of the storm

That was Dec 2019

All you need to know is that it’s gonna be better this year when all is said and done, in SNE, than it was last year for everybody south of N. Worcester county.  I am not worried at all whether we get off to a horrid start, or a good one….at the end of March, I’m not finishing with less than the 12” I got all of last year.  That I am confident of.  

Average never looked so good.

• Like 2