Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Winter/ENSO Disco

40/70 Benchmark

16 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

All you need to know is that it’s gonna be better this year when all is said and done, in SNE, than it was last year for everybody south of N. Worcester county.  I am not worried at all whether we get off to a horrid start, or a good one….at the end of March, I’m not finishing with less than the 12” I got all of last year.  That I am confident of.  

Average never looked so good.

We have very similar avg snowfall, even though our climate is a bit different in the southern Great Lakes vs southern New England. I'm 40 and the lowest season snowfall I've seen is 25.5" (2011-12). You 100% will exceed last year.

Some people get way too hung up on models, enso, etc. Then of course, you often have the battle of the cold vs warm trolls who always forecast the same thing regardless. But sometimes you just have to step back and look at the big picture. A huge area of the east saw record low snow last year, and many other areas stretching into the midwest saw below to well below average snowfall. Its the "law of averages". Look back at history at some of the really low snow years and notice how the next year almost always did better. On the flip side, during some banner snow years the next year is not as good.

• Thanks 1

This is kinda weather related but I get on twitter occasionally and HM or Anthony Masiello hasn't been on recently. Does anyone know have an idea why? Think his last post there was end of August. I always follow his insights about weather patterns 

It’s hopefully finally sunk in for HM that there’s absolutely no basis for him to forecast an above-normal snow winter. He really has nothing to talk about this time.

That error comes up when data is moved/deleted/discontinued.

I've uploaded my winter outlook in the general section for anyone curious. I do have you guys much colder than last winter, but you still kind of get shafted in my analogs. I'm not sure why, but you do tend to have a dry spot in the volcanic El Ninos over the Northeast. Tends to show up in the -PDO El Ninos too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raindancewx said:

I've uploaded my winter outlook in the general section for anyone curious. I do have you guys much colder than last winter, but you still kind of get shafted in my analogs. I'm not sure why, but you do tend to have a dry spot in the volcanic El Ninos over the Northeast. Tends to show up in the -PDO El Ninos too.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, raindancewx said:

I found a bit of a work away after going at it for some time. 

1) I did not realize most web browsers no longer support ftp. 

2) I don't know what made me try this but within the url I just removed ftp and added http://www. and it worked!!! I had no other clue of accessing TNH data...looked everywhere. Though my brief start at the TNH (which I haven't really looked at in like 10 years) is it is very chaotic in nature. 

59 minutes ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

Does any seasonal model have more accuracy over the other or does it really just come down to the month prior for more accuracy?

They all have strengths & weaknesses. Personally, Iike: Euro, UKMET, JMA, & CanSips. Blend the 4 in Nov & roll with it. 

I'm 100% not a fam of the CFS. It's eradic. It's monthly forecast is sometimes good. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 10:15 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Feb 28-Mar 1, 2005....lol. I hated that one...prob some convective feedback robbing us and that was probably possible because of weakish fronto dynamics.

12/29-30/2012 was one too....kind of fast moving, no great high. But it was a mundane warning event. Low went sub-984 as it crossed BM to east of CHH.

1/31/84 is a good one too...not quite 984mb, but it went sub-990mb. Mundane event.

Do you know how to find historic wind data?

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea

You can get obs here.  When it asks for download options I did "tab delimited"   Lastly I saved it to my computer and opened it using notepad.  You can do it as "comma delimited" and it saves it as an excel spread sheet. The full metar is displayed on the right in one of the columns. You may have to play around a bit. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/request/download.phtml?network=MA_ASOS

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You can get obs here.  When it asks for download options I did "tab delimited"   Lastly I saved it to my computer and opened it using notepad.  You can do it as "comma delimited" and it saves it as an excel spread sheet. The full metar is displayed on the right in one of the columns. You may have to play around a bit. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/request/download.phtml?network=MA_ASOS

Thanks.

Outlook #10 is underway....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ahh...so the 3/10/11 would be this:  3" last hour. 10" total. 11" OTG. When obs were obs. 

Ok, so 3” in an hour, 10” total for what time period(the whole storm)? And if 10” is the total, then there was 1 inch on the ground before it started snowing, because it says 11” OTG….Is that correct? 

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Still think this is the man of all man obs

METAR KBOS 132300Z 06047G62KT 0SM +TSSN -BLSN OVC/// M01/M01 A2916 RMK R04RVR06-V06 TB50 SW MOVG N OCNL LTGIC DRFTG SNW PK WND 0670/33 PRESFR SNOINCR 3/10/11

North pole stuff, Can't see your hand in front of your face.