Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th storm threat

Rjay

21 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Interesting to see if 18z euro and 0Z gfs are picking up on a wetter trend that the mesos wouldn’t catch yet. Curious to see what cmc shows. 

That's exactly what we would need-heavy rates and dynamics to bring the cold air to the surface. Light/paltry crap like NAM/RGEM would mean cold rain/white rain unless you're inland and elevated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

6-8 in Babylon and then like <0.5” in Patchogue would be the craziest cutoff I’ve ever seen for the island

I think it's marginal events where the GFS doesn't recognize eastern LI being land and pumps out weird gradients like this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think it's marginal events where the GFS doesn't recognize eastern LI being land and pumps out weird gradients like this one.

A cutoff like that would be the closest thing to Dec 30 2000 that I can remember.  I know nothing about the other features of the two systems, but from a snow map standpoint it would be fairly close (though Dec 30 2000 had closer to 10" in Nassau.  Still the heaviest two hour period of snow I've ever seen.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

With BL temps in the mid 30s on Saturday in the daytime hours a lot of this is not going to stick.

If it only sticks to grass and car tops that will be fine...its March and we aren't getting an arctic blizzard. Mood flakes at this point are a welcome farewell to a winter than never was, and a harbinger of nicer weather to come, we hope....and not a cold wet spring.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nibor said:

That’s very true but also in this case the storm will be drying out the further east you are. The cutoff is less about temps and more about less moisture due to the secondary tracking SE. 

• Like 1

Just now, Winterweatherlover said:

The models continue to seem to show higher liquid in the NYC/central NJ/western LI region. If that trend holds I’d expect snowfall totals to bump up as we get closer to event. 

Yup. That trough it continually modeled over the area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

The models continue to seem to show higher liquid in the NYC/central NJ/western LI region. If that trend holds I’d expect snowfall totals to bump up as we get closer to event. 

Has a norlun look to it by Saturday morning. That could lead to locally much higher amounts

Nam shows this now 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Has a norlun look to it by Saturday morning. That could lead to locally much higher amounts

Nam shows this now 

On the NAM it takes awhile for the rain to change to snow for our area, but yeah then it delivers early saturday morning. It has a jackpot for Monmouth and Ocean counties. Pretty interesting. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

On the NAM it takes awhile for the rain to change to snow for our area, but yeah then it delivers early saturday morning. It has a jackpot for Monmouth and Ocean counties. Pretty interesting. 

The primary is in western PA so it floods the area with warmer air. It's not until the coastal takes over that we change to snow.

The norlun feature is our best bet and it has support from Rgem & Nam.

Normally norluns happen further N&E but the ESE track of coastal would favor our region. Probably another 1-2" type deal