Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

Thanks boys..appreciated. 

Now back to the storm..a little east is fine here(as Scott eluded too).  Hey it’s fun just to be tracking a big storm.  Details still to be determined.

Ya, I hope it doesn’t play out like Jan 15 here…we got robbed in that one. But whatever it is, it is. 

• Like 6

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The pivot point on the Euro is very near where it was for Feb 2013....Hamden, to Hartford and just west of Kev...that corrdior.

Ya…Ya that would be incredible!  I had that in my mind…but didn’t want to sound weenieish lol. That track would work for sure. Lol. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

absurd height falls. my god

ecmwf-deterministic-east-z500_anom-1678406400-1678752000-1678870800-40.thumb.gif.a68cc6254ba00b8cf48f34f28c076ed6.gif

I would love to see a frontogenic product/chart as those heights are implode into a black hole...  ha

I mean it's gonna generate it's own meso complex with that much temperature crash at mid levels.  Interestingly ...the 300mb + sigma levels don't really have the classic "diffluent fan" running down stream, however, this thing does close off at that level. 

Everyone needs to realize though that we literally have no cold when this starts. Even high elevations will waste a little until it really gets going. There is very little room for error with yet another garbage airmass and later in the season. Only thing better this time is a more dynamic system, and perhaps more of an ageostrophic (northerly in our case) component to the wind...but it's not drawing any cold air south really. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I would love to see a frontogenic product/chart as those heights are implode into a black hole...  ha

I mean it's gonna generate it's own meso complex with that much temperature crash at mid levels.  Interestingly ...the 300mb + sigma levels don't really have the classic "diffluent fan" running down stream, however, this thing does close off at that level. 

image.thumb.png.9ef540505d071a9fea17e645947d4b71.pngimage.thumb.png.b61f05b81aa7358211a17d5bc3692cda.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Everyone needs to realize though that we literally have no cold when this starts. Even high elevations will waste a little until it really gets going. There is very little room for error with yet another garbage airmass and later in the season. Only thing better this time is a more dynamic system, and perhaps more of an ageostrophic (northerly in our case) component to the wind...but it's not drawing any cold air south really. 

OMG, you are like a dutch-oven with legs.

• Haha 11

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We also don’t want that northern stream dropping in any earlier. In fact, I already think it’s dropping in too early and the only reason the euro/Ukie runs were good is because the southern stream took a wide turn. 

If they didn’t, this would be up the Hudson valley or CT valley. 

Looks like eps is putting this on the Cape/Islands still. There’s still a number of inland members…though only 2 of them are west of ORH. Most run them over BOS area and the largest cluster remains on the cape. 

It depends on the precise morphology of the total wave length spacing...  I mentioned late last evening when I was vaguely conscious with sleepiness ... that the western ridge needed to be more so... but, I had the following popsicle headache aspects in mind when making that drive by posting:

The ridge in the west can get more amplified, but it doesn't have to be in the Y coordinate. It could do so in the X-coordinate, in which case the N/stream subsuming wave would arrive on a shallower azimuth.   The ridge could amplify in the Y-coordinate alone, which is akin to a shortened wave length and that would dictate a further west dive like you're intimating.  These spatial geometries are critical in where this thing bottoms out.   While all that is happening, the entire super synopsis could be moving E.. just to add another series of vector calculus to this whole thing. 

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mean we get that....but its like a your morbid little kid brother following you around reminding that of your mortality, while you're trying to enjoy a nice cookout.

Because I feel like everyone is dropping their undies and treating this as a mid winter storm. It's not. There isn't a whole lot of room for error. Exact track and intensity rate matters. You simply cannot treat this as if we had a 1040 high to the north in January. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Because I feel like everyone is dropping their undies and treating this as a mid winter storm. It's not. There isn't a whole lot of room for error. Exact track and intensity rate matters. You simply cannot treat this as if we had a 1040 high to the north in January. 

I don't think anyone is married to 10:1 charts. I almost feel like you're projecting your own insecurities since the emergent consensus is about 50mi west of where you would like it lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It depends on the precise morphology of the total wave length spacing...  I mentioned late last evening when I was vaguely conscious with sleepiness ... that the western ridge needed to be more so... but, I had the following popsicle headache aspects in mind when making that drive by posting:

The ridge in the west can get more amplified, but it doesn't have to be in the Y coordinate. It could do so in the X-coordinate, in which case the N/stream subsuming wave would arrive on a shallower azimuth.   The ridge could amplify in the Y-coordinate alone, which is akin to a shortened wave length and that would dictate a further west dive like you're intimating.  These spatial geometries are critical in where this thing bottoms out.   While all that is happening, the entire super synopsis could be moving E.. just to add another series of vector calculus to this whole thing. 

Yea, its tedious...need some luck.

Here is 925 prior to the onset of the euro op. That's a mild airmass to start. You got temps NW of Maine above 0C at 925. Look where the good stuff his. Next to Ray's Golds Gym nipple low NW of Toronto. 

Sure this can be overcome, no argument there...but it will depend on being in the real meat of this stuff, especially below 600' or so. If you expect 2-4" then nothing to worry about. But for 12" plus, I think you need a lot to go right. 

image.png.32fc63b4b8de1f7c76fd25d74e03d6a2.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think anyone is married to 10:1 charts. I almost feel like you're projecting your own insecurities since the emergent consensus is about 50mi west of where you would like it lol

If that were the case, I would have been fired years ago as I smoked cirrus while forecasting 30" in NYC. 

I'm looking at this as a met, not a weenie. 

• Like 6

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Here is 925 prior to the onset of the euro op. That's a mild airmass to start. You got temps NW of Maine above 0C at 925. Look where the good stuff his. Next to Ray's Golds Gym nipple low NW of Toronto. 

Sure this can be overcome, no argument there...but it will depend on being in the real meat of this stuff, especially below 600' or so. If you expect 2-4" then nothing to worry about. But for 12" plus, I think you need a lot to go right. 

image.png.32fc63b4b8de1f7c76fd25d74e03d6a2.png

I agree with you. Its no slam dunk HECS for most of us.

• Like 1

Bottom line is you're going to need huge rates in this one (thankfully it looks like that might happen) outside of the highest terrain. You also need a good track. Everything will have to go right to get a higher end storm or it could end up as a lot of lower end warning criteria or advisory criteria slop (with maybe some double digits in the hills/mountains).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Is this airmass or Napril 97 better?

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is this airmass or Napril 97 better?

'97 had no airmass either, but the storm bombed out in the right spot to pull in a little bit of colder air that was lurking in Ontario/western Quebec (plus dynamical cooling too)....similar thing will need to happen in this one.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Scott, Up here it would come in after sunset so a night time storm helps.  Okay,  my brain is fried.  If a model now forecasts say a 7pm start time with the time change on Sunday would the start time be one hour earlier or later than shown now?  I think one hour later, correct?