• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

I bet ya we'll get a 6-12" or greater snowstorm when the -NAO lifts toward neutral (It just might not last a while) 
704177142_f348(2).thumb.gif.59b1cdc7b040edd8123f91eaee77c87a.gif
1936194739_f384(2).thumb.gif.6354c776a1d9464041ab66d2e06e6dba.gif

There is something to be said here. We often get the “biggies” (6-12+) on the tail end of mature blocks as the NAO heads toward neutral.

PSU is also right about needing some luck to score when we see a -NAO initially take hold. There’s a week or so lag downstream (often takes a storm or two to drag the boundary south) We don’t typically see snowstorms within the first few days of a block setting up, and the biggies often occur on the tail end. Would be nice to also score a moderate event as the block is entrenched

If we can manage one biggie plus an advisory to low end warning event over the next 3 weeks, the metros could manage a 50-60% climo year despite how awful this winter has been. That’d be an absolute win given how stacked the cards have been against us.

The problem is we still have to overcome a hostile PAC, which could limit our chances.

6 minutes ago, jayyy said:

There is something to be said here. We often get the “biggies” (6-12+) on the tail end of mature blocks as the NAO heads toward neutral.

PSU is also right about needing some luck to score when we see a -NAO initially take hold. There’s a week or so lag downstream (often takes a storm or two to drag the boundary south) We don’t typically see snowstorms within the first few days of a block setting up, and the biggies often occur on the tail end. Would be nice to also score a moderate event as the block is entrenched

If we can manage one biggie plus an advisory to low end warning event over the next 3 weeks, the metros could manage a 50-60% climo year despite how awful this winter has been. That’d be an absolute win given how stacked the cards have been against us.

The problem is we still have to overcome a hostile PAC, which could limit our chances.

40s over the Davis Straight and rain to central Greenland does not really bode well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

See my previous post. Too broad-brush to say the 'NAO/50-50' are causing suppression, when it is really the timing/location of a specific piece of energy associated with what's going out west that is the primary problem.

I'm moving on. Let's hope neither my suppression nor your too warm NW things verify and we both cash in. Can we agree on that at least?:hurrbear:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Which model is better in your opinion at handling the upper features at this range which is causing the output we see?  Would you put more stock in the GEPS EPS or GEFS?  Thanks for your optimism.  

it's really tough to say at this point in time. I'm leaning towards the GEPS/EPS only because they have more confluence, which is what you'd expect with a developing block. this isn't really relevant to you guys, but this has been happening with the Monday system... confluence has been steadily increasing over the last day or so, which is leading to a farther S track

not to say that this will happen here, but I would lean towards that rather than a complete lack of confluence

• Thanks 2

It's trending away from a colder pattern in general, like a see-saw, duality matrix. 

Models were never really depicting very cold air. Just a workable pattern with blocking, the boundary dragging south, and the SER suppressed for a window of time. Timing has always been paramount for this window to work. It’s march… we’re not going to get heart of climo type departures when we’re banking on the NAO with a suppressed SER to do most of the dirty work for us.
  • Like 1