• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
El Nino 2023-2024

The El Niño onset in 1982 might have been boosted by strong external (uncoupled) forcing, making it intrinsically less predictable than 1997. We cannot rule this specific scenario to repeat now, but seems unlikely. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-015-2665-3

The people who want a change from what we’ve seen since 2019 better hope this Nino changes things up in a big way or we’ll be stuck in the same rut we’ve been in since then. If you want a change then you want the Nino to couple or it’s just more of the same. Funny how the same people who were cheering on an El Niño last winter don’t want it to happen now
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The people who want a change from what we’ve seen since 2019 better hope this Nino changes things up in a big way or we’ll be stuck in the same rut we’ve been in since then. If you want a change then you want the Nino to couple or it’s just more of the same. Funny how the same people who were cheering on an El Niño last winter don’t want it to happen now

I don't think they don't want it. Rather, I think many of them are primarily hoping it isn't east based and/or super strong.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

A coupled strong east or even central Nino wouldn't be good for winter prospects. An uncoupled response would work out better. 

• Weenie 1

A coupled strong east or even central Nino wouldn't be good for winter prospects. An uncoupled response would work out better. 

That makes zero sense. If the Nino doesn’t couple at all, then you are stuck with the same exact background system that’s been in place since 2019

It’ll couple but at times the boreal winter hemispheric circulation mode will wonder off … I.e transiently so, but the return/baseline will be Nino/Nino-esque 

Problem is … the coupling can happen yet the external mode may still be compensating … such that the registries are more modest relative to DNSO strength. We’ve been seeing this latter state spanning both warm and cool ENSOs over the last 10 years.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Everyone is convinced of an el Nino, but the same people that wanted it last year would just assume not have it mature by mid summer.

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

It’s ironic that the strongest La Niña-like winter monthly base state occurred during the +13 December 2015. Potent MJO 4-6 passage which was previously unheard of during such a strong El Niño. It’s as if the WPAC warm pool forcing synergistically combined with the El Niño forcing for a super La Niña base state. That +EPO -PNA SE Ridge combo was off the charts. So the potential for overlapping forcing influences makes seasonal forecasts for the winters very challenging to say the least. 

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-distinctive-mjo-super-el-nino.html

C58B1EC4-2DB1-4EF2-826E-0F66FDDC65D8.png.cb268082e22cbe7d54ae0d10e3a60a87.png

That's something I've been speculating over recent years, actually - that "asynchronous mimicry" effect.

The idea is, because of increased(ing) ambient-geostrophic wind velocity during the winter ( due to lowering boreal heights compressing into HC latitudes ) this has been shifting the frequency into a higher order ... displacing the R-waves in both time(ing) and space.  

Take the El Ninos of mid last century then subject them to anomalously fast basal velocities...

Sounds like big words but it really just means we are observing long wave mechanics resolved in a faster planetary flow.  That sets the pattern modes "clicking" into the next gears, which if extreme enough, mimicks a La Nina during El Ninos, and vice versa... Not as a fix predicament, but at times - hence the decoupling periods  ...or the River events during La Ninas... Or 2015/February..etc. 

There's a bit of philosophy involved, too.  Like, it doesn't mean "El Nino is failing,"  per se?  It would be more like the climatology of El Nino(Nina) is changed... and unfortunately, for seasonal expectations, that data is still emerging in time. In that sense, there's some art to projecting what these warm and cool ENSOs may mean ( what and where). A challenge that is augmented further because this world is in fact still actually changing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's been a somewhat notable 11 straight day -SOI streak and this will very likely dip to the lowest tomorrow (7/25). I expect tomorrow will be well down into the -30s with as low as ~-40 possible. This will be the lowest daily SOI since 5/25/2023. After that, it appears there will be a pretty steep rise that may get it up to ~+10 on 7/30-31.

July SOI as a whole looks to come in ~-3. Compared to the July SOI for the seven incoming super strong El Niño events since 1877, the -3 is weak:

1877: -10   

1888: -16

1965: -21

1972: -17

1982: -18

1997: -9

2015: -14

*AVG: -15*

OTOH, six of the 11 incoming strong El Niño July SOIs had either similarly weakly negative or even slightly positive:

1899: -5

1902: +1

1930: -4

1957: +1

1991: -2

2009: +2

So whereas a -3 SOI for July of 2023 doesn't at all support an incoming super Nino when considering the -15 average July SOI for the seven super events, the fact that 6 of the 11 incoming strong events were in the general vicinity of -3 (+2 to -5) for July tells me that the -3 for this month is not at all out of July climo range for an incoming strong.

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/

• Like 1

There's been a somewhat notable 11 straight day -SOI streak and this will very likely dip to the lowest tomorrow (7/25). I expect tomorrow will be well down into the -30s with as low as ~-40 possible. This will be the lowest daily SOI since 5/25/2023. After that, it appears there will be a pretty steep rise that may get it up to ~+10 on 7/30-31.
 July SOI as a whole looks to come in ~-3. Compared to the July SOI for the seven incoming super strong El Niño events since 1877, the -3 is weak:
1877: -10   
1888: -16
1965: -21
1972: -17
1982: -18
1997: -9
2015: -14
*AVG: -15*

OTOH, six of the 11 incoming strong El Niño July SOIs had either similarly weakly negative or even slightly positive:
1899: -5
1902: +1
1930: -4
1957: +1
1991: -2
2009: +2

So whereas a -3 SOI for July of 2023 doesn't at all support an incoming super Nino when considering the -15 average July SOI for the seven super events, the fact that 6 of the 11 incoming strong events were in the general vicinity of -3 (+2 to -5) for July tells me that the -3 for this month is not at all out of July climo range for an incoming strong.
https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/

At this point, I think the only question is, does this Nino become super in November/December? This event going strong is inevitable, basically guaranteed now

38 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

At this point, I think the only question is, does this Nino become super in November/December? This event going strong is inevitable, basically guaranteed now

I think strong is most likely as I've thought for awhile. Also, I still have a small chance for super. However, I've still not eliminated the small chance for upper end moderate. For one thing, Sea of Peru is favoring a moderate peak SOND as was recently posted and discussed ITT:

https://cdn.www.gob.pe/uploads/document/file/4887781/Comunicado_Of_ENFEN N° 11-2023.pdf?v=1689986929

Secondly, the latest OHC having dropped from +1.35 in mid June to only near +0.9 in mid July gives me pause:

IMG_7902.thumb.gif.15bfb50a4c6ec4a5f7545531eb0b524d.gif

2 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I hate to take the lazy man approach but shouldn’t 1957-1958 be a top analog? Triple dip La Niña, followed with a strong El Niño, obviously no analogs are the same, but it’s the only triple dip nina followed by strong Nino that we have record of, right?

Its one of them, yeah. Other analogs I like include 72-73 and 91-92. But we have to adjust these analogs to a new climate base state. I will do so for my next winter outlook, and show how I did it. 

For the last several years, we've had remarkable tendencies locally for cold / hot periods to coincide with the opposite trend below the surface. Rapid cooling below the surface from a high-level heat almost always coincides with a very hot month here. But the opposite holds true as well. We had very cold Nov/Mar periods locally with the rapid warming.

• Like 1