Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 1955 floods changed the way they had flood controls and drainage in ORH. There was something like 10 feet of water in downtown ORH during that. We will never see it again due to the changes they made. So yeah…tragic event did produce safety measures that undoubtedly has saved a lot of lives. 

We still talk about the 1930s floods here in town when we allocate millions for flood protection. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The last 2 years overall have been boring in all seasons in SNE. Sure small areas have had wild wx, but in general there’s been no extreme wx , widespread heavy snows, severe, canes , ice storms etc.., . It’s been weather boredom as a region and it sucks 

We had an all time blizzard last year bro. 2nd on my list. 14 hrs of 1/4 mile visibility 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Yeah Feb 2013 was easily the biggest impact region-wide this century…maybe since 1978 but you could make a case for Mar ‘93 though.  

Dec ‘03 was also really wide impact for snow but it didn’t have nearly the wind that Feb ‘13 or Mar ‘93 had. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I wonder who here has the longest 18”+ event drought. Caveat being, you’d have to have lived here since 2010/2011. 

I’m pretty sure the strike zone has been SE zones or the interior. Feb 13 is the only one I can recall that hit central areas from sw to ne. 

Your area has be near the top for 18+ drought. Maybe just west of you? Has Danbury had an 18+ event since Jan 2011? Not sure if they got 18” in the Mar 7-8, 2018 storm. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah Feb 2013 was easily the biggest impact region-wide this century…maybe since 1978 but you could make a case for Mar ‘93 though.  

Dec ‘03 was also really wide impact for snow but it didn’t have nearly the wind that Feb ‘13 or Mar ‘93 had. 

Yeah I agree—13 was massive throughout the (populated) region. 

Looking specifically at CT, my Mount Rushmore of snow events are 1888, 1978, 2011, and 2013. Nothing else comes close. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Your area has be near the top for 18+ drought. Maybe just west of you? Has Danbury had an 18+ event since Jan 2011? Not sure if they got 18” in the Mar 7-8, 2018 storm. 

The last 18” may have been Oct 11 but even that may have been a tick under. I lived there then and I recall the official measurement being a little suspect. Whatever, it was high impact as we know. I think maybe higher spots in Danbury reached 18-20” in 03/18 but DXR did not. I’m not sure the airport has/had an official obs for snow. Feb13, the noaa map says they’re shy of 20” but I think they came close. 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah I agree—13 was massive throughout the (populated) region. 

Looking specifically at CT, my Mount Rushmore of snow events are 1888, 1978, 2011, and 2013. Nothing else comes close. 

Feb ‘83 was pretty huge in CT too. 

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The only thing we can do is reminisce big snows of yore while smoking indo and sippin on IPAs. 

Never really bought in , but I will admit I was looking forward to maybe a. “Fictitious” snowy Sunday afternoon and night. Another words.. picturing it.. but deep down knowing not real . Winter was taken from all of New England this year in various capacities.  Cheers 

tsJmuWV.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, infact the past few years there seems to have been less. Maybe anecdotal 

Need hood western ridging for clippers and we haven’t had much of that in the past few winters. The last winter that seemed to have a decent number was ‘18-19. We had several in a row in Feb and I think Jan had one too. 

• Thanks 1