• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

19.6" on the season. We make fun of the sun angle, not to mention folks totally miscalculating it.  I swear some think we have a July 4th angle by St Paddy's Day but I digress. I'm not shoveling that sleet off my unfrozen rock driveway, no way. I broke it up a but near where we walk so the shale is exposed and can absorb more of the sunlight to help it all melt. If this were December I'd be much more concerned about the potentially long term mess I'd have out there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

lyou're like me rooting on a historically low snowfall season.

It's been miserable for most of the winter, let's get that for our troubles.

I'd gladly forfeit futility for another nice snowfall or two. But if we limp over the threshold by way of sleet and slush, then that would be annoying. 

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

19.6" on the season. We make fun of the sun angle, not to mention folks totally miscalculating it.  I swear some think we have a July 4th angle by St Paddy's Day but I digress. I'm not shoveling that sleet off my unfrozen rock driveway, no way. I broke it up a but near where we walk so the shale is exposed and can absorb more of the sunlight to help it all melt. If this were December I'd be much more concerned about the potentially long term mess I'd have out there. 

I got up early and scraped it with the tractor before it had a chance to melt. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

For the season or for Tuesday? I think most in our area are at least double digits for the season. Also remember sleet does count as snow totals. 

For the season. I've had a few .2s and an inch once, the other day was 4" in exposed areas but up to 6 in select shaded areas where the ground is always colder and it accumulated earlier and better. Mostly I've just had coatings that aren't really worth trying to measure. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

For the season. I've had a few .2s and an inch once, the other day was 4" in exposed areas but up to 6 in select shaded areas where the ground is always colder and it accumulated earlier and better. Mostly I've just had coatings that aren't really worth trying to measure. 

To translate, you are the Central Park zookeeper of the Hudson Valley and you can’t be bothered with measuring the smaller events and that’s why you’re not in double digits.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

To translate, you are the Central Park zookeeper of the Hudson Valley and you can’t be bothered with measuring the smaller events and that’s why you’re not in double digits.

Ehh sort of but if they add up to .1 or .2 that still keeps me at or under 3" plus the 6 a few days ago so if I call it 9" I'm good. Go back through my posts since the beginning of the season and every time it has snowed I'm at just a few tenths (if that) compared to inches elsewhere. The other day is the only time I've even touched the shovel this year. 

20 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Ehh sort of but if they add up to .1 or .2 that still keeps me at or under 3" plus the 6 a few days ago so if I call it 9" I'm good. Go back through my posts since the beginning of the season and every time it has snowed I'm at just a few tenths (if that) compared to inches elsewhere. The other day is the only time I've even touched the shovel this year. 

Two people asked me recently how much snow we've had this year, and then wouldn't believe that it was as much as it was. It's true that the nickles and dimes don't really register in people's minds. I know my dad thinks "a coating" is anything less than an inch or so.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

He's right though, these are little insignificant events.  I'd rather get zero snow or a foot plus, not these piddly little half inch or inch or even 2 inch numbers.  

Saw enough of these in the 80s to last me my whole life.

Now I just rank them in terms of coatings.  Last night's was less than February's 28ths coating and less than late December's coating, but more than January's coating.  So it's going down as 0.3"

I've developed a Beaufort scale for coatings now, in terms of where the snow accumulates and what I can still see through the coating lol.

car tops and roof tops = quarter of an inch

accumulates on grass, trees and bushes but you can still see the grass poking through = half an inch

unpaved surfaces are solidly covered but nothing on the streets, sidewalks or driveways = 1-1.5 inch

roads covered.... 2 inches plus....now I start to measure.

This one is going down as 0.3 inch based on the above scale.

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Crafting flow charts and solving formal proofs instead of just sticking a ruler in the snow

lmao just an excuse not to stay up and go outside at 4 am.  The maximum "coating" was somewhere between 3:15 am when I fell asleep when it was snowing hard, and 5 am when I woke up when it had just about ended (and half of the 3:15 am accumulation was already gone.)

On 3/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I was thinking about it some more and the 6 or 7 coatings of .1 or less added to truly measurable events has me just under 3". Added to the 6"  which was only 6" due to non-standard measuring to achieve max depth and I'm at 9" for the season. Woohoo :wacko:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I was thinking about it some more and the 6 or 7 coatings of .1 or less added to truly measurable events has me just under 3". Added to the 6"  which was only 6" due to non-standard measuring to achieve max depth and I'm at 9" for the season. Woohoo :wacko:

You’ve taken step one to proper measurements. Only 11 more steps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2