Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

On 12/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, Hitman said:

a gtg is long overdue.  maybe we can do a sacrifice to ullr to bring back winter.

fwiw-saw the boys in the boat movie in which poughkeepsie plays a prominent role.  highly recommend.  good movie although the book is much better.

Just saw a commercial for this movie and then it all clicked in my head, I'll have to watch that. My brother was the captain of his high school and college crew teams. He also became slightly hypothermic as the cox of the woman's boat in college at a race on the Hudson at Marist after they took on water. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just saw a commercial for this movie and then it all clicked in my head, I'll have to watch that. My brother was the captain of his high school and college crew teams. He also became slightly hypothermic as the cox of the woman's boat in college at a race on the Hudson at Marist after they took on water. 

What college? It's not often you hear of others on crew teams in college. I was on crew at the University of Wisconsin. Grueling sport, the football coach would send players he wanted to punish to workout with us.

A different era, if a coach did that now the kid would probably enter the transfer portal the next day and the coach might get reprimanded for invading the kids safe space. 

No weather to speak of. Nice to have that opening to talk about anything but weather. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

What college? It's not often you hear of others on crew teams in college. I was on crew at the University of Wisconsin. Grueling sport, the football coach would send players he wanted to punish to workout with us.

A different era, if a coach did that now the kid would probably enter the transfer portal the next day and the coach might get reprimanded for invading the kids safe space. 

No weather to speak of. Nice to have that opening to talk about anything but weather. 

A small college upstate that recently shutdown, Cazenovia. A pretty good lake effect snow spot, back when we used to get lake effect snow.  They competed in the Head of The Charles a few times, I got to go once, pretty awesome experience on what was a text book nice October day. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I played against Cazenovia in fall baseball tourney back in college. It snowed the day i pitched. Some dude hit a ball about 600’ off me. That was a big final clue i wasnt going much further than college baseball lol

I’m sure you’ve heard this from me before, my brother stayed up there for 10 or so years after college, was able to experience some fantastic lake effect bands and a ground blizzard under cloudless blue skies. Got to experience 24 below zero at 1:30am leaving a bar up there in January 2004, instant frozen snots. 

15 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Going into this next storm cycle when everything is so wet and soft is a shitty situation. I can't help but to picture trees and branches down on powerlines while it's 28* and windy. Yuck. I was hoping for a few sunny days but until that actually materializes I'm not getting excited. 

Agreed. People are so focused on the lack of snow I think many are missing the flood potential that Walt also mentioned in the thread title. With each storm the Wallkill drops just a bit less than before. It may not seem like a big deal but that combined with the saturated soil that still has plenty of fresh ponds/puddles that last longer and longer...not a good combo. I was kinda surprised at the amount of standing water still out there around town this morning. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed. People are so focused on the lack of snow I think many are missing the flood potential that Walt also mentioned in the thread title. With each storm the Wallkill drops just a bit less than before. It may not seem like a big deal but that combined with the saturated soil that still has plenty of fresh ponds/puddles that last longer and longer...not a good combo. I was kinda surprised at the amount of standing water still out there around town this morning. 

Not a good situation at all. With the runoff still going on and the next events on the horizon possibly being wintery, the roads will be hazardous in spots for some time. 

• Like 1

Tree branches with wounds have soaked up water and are soggy, a little freeze and a little breeze and they're coming down. Will they fall on your house or the cars in your driveway? Better go take a look and do something about it before next weekend. Driving around this afternoon I saw a bunch of water still coming out of hillsides and storm drains at the bottom of valleys so it's obvious that we're saturated. That's gonna be a lot of ice as the new moisture runs off so if your driveway is like mine be prepared, go get some sand. The couple of dry days coming up won't do squat to help especially if the surface freezes at night. Hoping for not too cold and not too windy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Tree branches with wounds have soaked up water and are soggy, a little freeze and a little breeze and they're coming down. Will they fall on your house or the cars in your driveway? Better go take a look and do something about it before next weekend. Driving around this afternoon I saw a bunch of water still coming out of hillsides and storm drains at the bottom of valleys so it's obvious that we're saturated. That's gonna be a lot of ice as the new moisture runs off so if your driveway is like mine be prepared, go get some sand. The couple of dry days coming up won't do squat to help especially if the surface freezes at night. Hoping for not too cold and not too windy.

Agree with you. The aftermath from these events could be equally as bad as the duration of the events. Sand, salt, sump pumps, and chainsaws may  be needed. Especially if we get some snowpaste and winds. Being prepared is key.  The 18z GFS is showing a 24 hour event for the Sunday show.

98D7CFB9-0FE4-4C52-876E-8880AA0D3E37.png

9555FA90-788B-4690-96C0-CEBA56D95DCD.png