• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

confirmed - full sun five miles away in Monkton. traffic jam of floats on the gunpoweder river. 

I believe it, nice day for it. Did you catch any of Hereford's fireworks last night? Not sure how far you are from the High School where they set them off

Just now, mappy said:

I believe it, nice day for it. Did you catch any of Hereford's fireworks last night? Not sure how far you are from the High School where they set them off

No - too far away to see them but heard them for sure - as did my youngest lab who was NOT pleased. the older lab just looked at him with a "come on dude chill" expression....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

No - too far away to see them but heard them for sure - as did my youngest lab who was NOT pleased. the older lab just looked at him with a "come on dude chill" expression....

Yeah, we could hear them too. And our dogs are the same. We kept them in the basement Saturday when Big Truck did their fireworks. Those we could see. 

• Like 1

Dulles was reporting 65 dew point, Andrews AFB was 67, College Park AIrport 67 and Warrenton Airport 60 as of the past 30 to 40 minutes on GREarth. There are plenty of other locations reporting 69 to 73 dew points. When sun broke through full, I went out and read 86 degrees with a 66 dew point at Noon. Was using a Kestrel 4500. Hope as many of us can cash in on meaningful rains today. 

I'm betting that stuff towards Front Royal/along the Blue Ridge is the main show. Should see it start to grow/intensify as it comes off the higher elevations. May be more stuff later - but that should be the "big storm" potential. Lots of sun! 

• Like 1

Watch coming soon... 95% per SPC MCD

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1401.html

mcd1401.png

Mesoscale Discussion 1401
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1242 PM CDT Mon Jul 03 2023

Areas affected...Portions of the Mid-Atlantic

Concerning...Severe potential...Severe Thunderstorm Watch likely 

Valid 031742Z - 031945Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...95 percent

SUMMARY...Scattered storms will develop in a hot, moist environment.
   Scattered damaging winds and isolated large hail will be possible.
   One or more severe thunderstorm watches are likely for much of the
   Mid-Atlantic in the next 1-2 hours.

DISCUSSION...Early-afternoon satellite imagery shows developing
   cumulus along the Appalachians. Some stable billow clouds remain in
   central/northern Virginia, but they have shown a dissipating trend
   over the last hour. Farther south, a weak MCV is slowly moving east
   in central North Carolina. Some convection has recently developed
   along the northeastern flank of this feature where temperatures are
   in the low 90s F. Due to modest rising mid-level heights, it seems
   that convection may still take some time to mature, with the
   MCV-related storms potentially being an exception. Modest mid-level
   winds remaining across the region (diminishing with southward
   extent) will lead to 30-35 kts of effective shear. Strong surface
   heating and dewpoints in the upper 60s to low 70s F will support
   1000-2000 J/kg MLCAPE (greater with southward extent). Scattered
   thunderstorms are expected over the next few hours with the
   potential for strong/severe wind gusts. Large hail is possible with
   supercell structures, but will be more isolated in nature. A severe
   thunderstorm watch is likely for much of the Mid-Atlantic region in
   the next 1-2 hours.

..Wendt/Grams.. 07/03/2023

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...LWX...RAH...RNK...
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'd watch the cell entering Culpepper county... looks like its increasing VIL and could have a small hail core soon

That's the only activity that looks remotely interesting for the moment. Will see how this stuff looks as it heads into Loudoun - but pretty unimpressive thus far. That cell you mentioned might end up being what the 6z NAM showed with the UH track - but perhaps a little further south than forecast. 

17 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

That's the only activity that looks remotely interesting for the moment. Will see how this stuff looks as it heads into Loudoun - but pretty unimpressive thus far. That cell you mentioned might end up being what the 6z NAM showed with the UH track - but perhaps a little further south than forecast. 

As you and I both noted earlier, the morning CAMs had the current cells coming off of the mountains and evolving into the show.    But the new HRRR doesn't do much with them and instead initiates the show later.    Certainly seems plausible with the current cells struggling.

• Like 2

Just now, high risk said:

As you and I both noted earlier, the morning CAMs had the current cells coming off of the mountains and evolving into the show.    But the new HRRR doesn't do much with them and instead initiates the show later.    Certainly seems plausible with the current cells struggling.

Think the "dying" activity moving in now could do two very different things...perhaps they cloud us over and tamp down instability...ruining any storms later. OR maybe they setup some temperature boundaries which could focus storms later. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Think the "dying" activity moving in now could do two very different things...perhaps they cloud us over and tamp down instability...ruining any storms later. OR maybe they setup some temperature boundaries which could focus storms later. 

I am going to call it crapvection because it has kept me cloudy and just a few showers. Energy needed is being tempered by clouds and some rain.. If we break out into full sun, I will be a bit more intrigued. I think the show is east of Loudoun today. We were the edge as far as I was concerned anyways

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Let's hope for the thermal boundaries for later enhanced activity.

10 minutes ago, high risk said:

Would rather we get one solid line than a bunch of piddly junk.

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

SPC mesoanalysis shows DCAPE isn't that high - take a look at the SBCAPE values down in E NC :lmao: 

DCAPE should revover to close to 1,000j/kg if we can manage decent sun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Would rather we get one solid line than a bunch of piddly junk.

DCAPE should revover to close to 1,000j/kg if we can manage decent sun.

Been getting plenty of baking sun here in Colesville. I do think mesoanalysis does seem to "lag" just a little bit sometimes. We'll see how it looks in an hour or so. 

Just now, alexderiemer said:

Looks like they juust issued it, the link for it on spc is broken lol

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

yeah, I see it now on the main page, hasn't fully loaded on the watch page 

• Like 1