Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2023

buckeyefan1

4 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Early next week’s Miller A with a perfect storm track and absolutely no cold air is going to sting. That being said, if that track continues this year eventually we will score

Well it's not even astro winter yet and we are only at 35N so my expectations aren't there yet. 

I do get your larger point though

No cold in sight, anywhere, is worse than our usual 'delayed' winter at this point.

1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

Well it's not even astro winter yet and we are only at 35N so my expectations aren't there yet. 

No cold in sight, anywhere, is worse than are usual 'delayed' winter at this point.

Yea I guess to broaden my point: this isn’t even going to produce snow in New England with a perfect track in mid December. For us it’s not shocking but the lack of snow up north with a storm track passing over the “benchmark” is highly, highly anomalous for mid December 

39 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Pretty strong indications that the gears will start to turn on the pattern change in about 10 days. The cold air would begin to move across the CONUS  around christmas and settle over the East Coast by the first week in January 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65 (1).png

It's like watching old TV shows in syndication.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It's like watching old TV shows in syndication.

Unfortunately  if the pattern change does occur it  still doesn't necessarily look particularly cold and snowy for us. But it does seem likely we'll get out of the current pattern where Maine to Spokane are getting warm rain. Highly anomalous patterns don't last forever and El Nino tends to shuffle things up at some point

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CaryWx said:

No cold in sight, anywhere, is worse than our usual 'delayed' winter at this point.

March 19 is technically “astro winter”. Do you think that is good snow climo for us? Met winter exists for a reason.

• Like 1

Writing is on the wall at this point that this winter is gonna come down to mid-January through February going as expected for a strong Niño. Even with a pattern change, it's gonna take a while to flush all this warm air off the continent and then hopefully build a snowpack in our source regions. The euro weeklies still look good, but they've punted any significant changes to around the 2nd week of January at this point. 

17 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Man, I'd much rather see this be suppressed and head out to sea. GFS with 50-70+ mph gusts region wide will be destructive. Really don't wanna be in the dark for days on end.

And since there’s no snow to speak of to draw attention to it, this is going to catch many off guard. 

• Like 1

One positive trend is this thing has really sped up. What was looking like a long duration event stretching from Sunday to Tuesday is now mostly just Sunday afternoon. Rainfall totals have come down accordingly. I know everyone needs the rain but 3-4” in a short time after last weeks rain would probably cause flash flooding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

One positive trend is this thing has really sped up. What was looking like a long duration event stretching from Sunday to Tuesday is now mostly just Sunday afternoon. Rainfall totals have come down accordingly. I know everyone needs the rain but 3-4” in a short time after last weeks rain would probably cause flash flooding

Don't look at the totals coming out of the mountains.  I'm worried about flooding here then a paste job.

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

It is likely overdone to some degree but I would think more gusts to around 40-45.

Yeah honestly I'm a little surprised models are only forecasting 40-50 mph gusts considering their tendency to be overdone, particularly on the stronger Euro. It is really hard to get more than 45 mph winds in the Piedmont from baraclonic winds apart from some kind of jet enhancement/sting jet, which does not seem to be present in this case. We'll have to see what the mesoscale models show closer to the event, although they always need to be reduced by 30-50%.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

It is likely overdone to some degree but I would think more gusts to around 40-45.

It looks overdone. There’s a stable layer, thanks to the rain, that should prevent the higher winds from mixing to the surface. Still plenty of time for that to change of course. The mountains are a different story. I do expect the winds to be kicking at higher elevations :yikes:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

It looks overdone. There’s a stable layer, thanks to the rain, that should prevent the higher winds from mixing to the surface. Still plenty of time for that to change of course. The mountains are a different story. I do expect the winds to be kicking at higher elevations :yikes:

yeah for sure. The 12z GFS is significantly farther east with the surface low but the main ULL is definitely much farther north.

12z:
image.thumb.png.1b0595c366ff9bcbd4d7a3066dd26e9e.png

6z:

image.thumb.png.599687396a69cb590720137c9e6b0793.png

• Thanks 1