WELL BELOW FREEZING AND AIR TEMPS DURING THE SNOW SHOULD BE IN THE  
TEENS, SO SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE IMMEDIATELY ON PAVEMENT AND LIKELY  
RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. SOME OF THE HIGHEST TRAVEL  
IMPACT EVENTS EACH WINTER ARE SUB-ADVISORY AND OFTEN LESS THAN 1   
INCH SNOWFALLS WITH VERY COLD TEMPS AND THIS SYSTEM DEFINITELY   
HAS THAT LOOK TO IT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Look, I get the NWS focus on public safety…but it’s a bit much to obsess over an inch of snow with temps in the teens. It’s winter - these things are supposed to happen. It’s really not a big deal. 

Of course, if one wants to argue the opposite viewpoint, you’re basically saying that Chicago doesn’t have winter…and that any snow event is extraordinary. I actually happen to agree that Chicago doesn’t really have winter (we have wintry periods, but not winter). But pick one viewpoint or the other; you can’t have it both ways. 

Another component is the stupidity of the average Joe. If it’s slippery, drive slowly and keep your distance. The NWS shouldn’t need to watch over you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Look, I get the NWS focus on public safety…but it’s a bit much to obsess over an inch of snow with temps in the teens. It’s winter - these things are supposed to happen. It’s really not a big deal. 

Of course, if one wants to argue the opposite viewpoint, you’re basically saying that Chicago doesn’t have winter…and that any snow event is extraordinary. I actually happen to agree that Chicago doesn’t really have winter (we have wintry periods, but not winter). But pick one viewpoint or the other; you can’t have it both ways. 

Another component is the stupidity of the average Joe. If it’s slippery, drive slowly and keep your distance. The NWS shouldn’t need to watch over you. 

Overall I think a mix of impact based/amounts make sense. 

If this wasn't right off the heels of the last disaster we wouldn't think much of their reasonings for this event. 

Christmas night/Monday morning, icy/snowy roads will happen at 1 inch