Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread

Carvers Gap

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I don’t 100% remember the year but I remember what you are talking about. Atlanta was a disaster that afternoon.

I love it Powell…you’re the historian that always remembers the events, but not the date/year.  It’s like me with people.  I can remember faces, but I’m pretty terrible with names!  Lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, matt9697 said:

Was that the year that cities like Jackson, MS, Birmingham, AL and places south of Atlanta got more snow that the TN Valley in general?

I believe it snowed from New Orleans and Houston to Charleston, SC while we were dry and frigid. It was a 2 week spell nearly as cold as Christmas week that just passed. 

I prefer my EPO driven cold of the 2014-15 variety. It spurred two weeks of brutal winter in late February and early March. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Both the 6z GFS and 0z Euro have good passes for the system on the 25th/26th - Miller A.  The 0z Euro actually takes the low road for the system on the 22nd/23rd.  Not sure that will verify, but that system is still on the table as well.

Yeah looks like models are picking up on some noise for those two.  First system doesn't have much cold air to work with. Second one is the higher percentage but both are on the table. 

Nice to see all models hinting around for that timeframe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fountainguy97 said:

Yeah looks like models are picking up on some noise for those two.  First system doesn't have much cold air to work with. Second one is the higher percentage but both are on the table. 

Nice to see all models hinting around for that timeframe.

And I think the next couple of systems after that will also need to be watched as we head into the first week of Feb.  Then we have possibly a two week warmup and more cold to end Feb and begin March.  This is a similar cold/warm pattern to the past three months in terms of frequency although the setup is much different.  With Nino starting to potentially flex and shortening wavelengths, there is a lot of flux in trying to find winter window during the next 6-8 weeks.  Modeling is all over the place after the first week of Feb.  I will say LR modeling has been decent for this current pattern shakeup.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

While the 12z GFS is still cutter city, it is worth noting that the 12z CMC has not one(but two) ice events for E TN north of I-40.   There is wrap around snow with each system.

Yeah as usual the risk is for these to all cut. That's been the theme more or less this winter. Let's see if we can get some blocking pressure to hold these south.  I'm doubtful for now. Feel like these setups general like to bleed north vs south.

1 minute ago, fountainguy97 said:

Yeah as usual the risk is for these to all cut. That's been the theme more or less this winter. Let's see if we can get some blocking pressure to hold these south.  I'm doubtful for now. Feel like these setups general like to bleed north vs south.

Nina climatology to a tee.  We will see where it goes w/ the Euro.  Right now the least accurate model has the cutters.  I suspect we see at least one cut thought.  That said, I think the greater risk is for suppression once modeling figures out the cold boundary.  I actually feel like this is the best pattern we have seen for winter weather this winter - on paper.

To have a decent shot at a big storm, we want to sit right on the boundary between cold and warm air masses at this time of year.  Sometimes that is a plus and sometimes not - meaning sometimes we will be north of that line and sometimes south.  But we have to be on the edge to score snow.   This window of Jan22 to roughly Feb5th is actually a better window IMHO than December as the STJ is actually active.  No STJ, and it can be really tough to get snow into the forum area, especially the eastern valley.

• Like 2

Yes, hopefully we can get the boundary to sit over or just south of us. Don’t need it to cut to quick or too far south and east especially for middle and west tenn. The one bad deal for Tennessee winter weather lovers is what works for west and middle often doesn’t for East Tenn. It’s been a long time since we have had the perfect southern slider that nails the entire state just right. Hopefully we have enough systems come through everyone gets in on something in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic