Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread

Carvers Gap

20 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

12z scorecard.  System one is the 22nd/23rd and system two is the 26th-ish storm.

Storm 1 / Storm 2

CMC: Inland Runner Miller A...Ice NE TN / Cut...Ice NE TN

GFS:  Cut / Cut

Euro: Apps Runner...snow upper middle TN / Coastal Miller A...big city blizzard

Is the CMC really reliable?  Seems no wx offices ever mention it.

59 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

Is the CMC really reliable?  Seems no wx offices ever mention it.

Definitely.  It is the model which identified this upcoming cold shot first.  It has been really good as a long wave model in LR.  It has scored better than the GFS at this range almost all winter as well as the Euro.  The GFS does get much better inside of 5 days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snowmaker said:

With the first storm I would expect model guidance to at least start converging on some type of general idea in the next 2-3 days. We are around 6 days out from the first system.

Yeah, we are a solid 6 days out right now w/ decent model spread.  On a global scale, that is not much of a difference.   Cutters are the default for winter, so I give mild deference to that trend.  That said, eventually that boundary should sit west to east.  We need HP over the top.  That is really what we need here in E TN.

• Like 1

Just looking at the ensembles mslp positions for each storm....60% cutters and 40% coastals.  And that is better than what we have had most of the winter at this range.  There is a pretty good mix.  Depending on which model you look at, there are clusters for coastals and cutters.  I don't think we know the second storm track until the first track is known.

• Like 2

Getting pretty close to upgrading my a SSW watch to a warning. I think it probably happens now in early Feb, but the good news is that even if it does, any impacts shouldn't interfere with the chances we've been discussion above. Probably 3 weeks until we see the effects of one and of course that depends of the type we see (displacement, split (where to the individual split vortices go?)both?) 

The below is an ensemble mean (GEFS):

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ce1a6fd3ff76204c72

GEFS mean in fact shows a 50mb split as early as under 100 hours:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611620355c8eac3a6d515

I suspect that could cause some short notice EPO mischief if it can percolate down from 50 mb. 

Euro has a quasi split at 50 mb and also has the ridging in the EPO domain. Again though, it remains to be seen how that could potentially translate down to H5. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611224892b33b00cd0353

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Getting pretty close to upgrading my a SSW watch to a warning. I think it probably happens now in early Feb, but the good news is that even if it does, any impacts shouldn't interfere with the chances we've been discussion above. Probably 3 weeks until we see the effects of one and of course that depends of the type we see (displacement, split (where to the individual split vortices go?)both?) 

The below is an ensemble mean (GEFS):

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ce1a6fd3ff76204c72

GEFS mean in fact shows a 50mb split as early as under 100 hours:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611620355c8eac3a6d515

I suspect that could cause some short notice EPO mischief if it can percolate down from 50 mb. 

Euro has a quasi split at 50 mb and also has the ridging in the EPO domain. Again though, it remains to be seen how that could potentially translate down to H5. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611224892b33b00cd0353

Goodbye spring!  LOL....It wouldn't be the first time that winter came calling during March!  Good stuff, Holston!  Hope all is going well with your family.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am definitely interested in overnight trends in the long range d10-15 as the 0z GEFS, GEPS, and EPS nearly eliminate ridging in our area after a brief ridge rolls through.  I have said this prior, I will be interested to see if modeling does the reverse of what it did in late December where it tried to re-establish a trough in the LR only to have a very consistent eastern ridge build and hold.   Just a thought, and spitballing only there.  That said, there are two camps in the MJO department this morning for the second week of Feb - loop the MJO back through the COD after phase 3 and back to phase 7/8 per the EMON/EMOM/BOMM or take the tour per the GEFS....though the GMON does loop across the warmer COD.  I tend to think this takes the warm tour, but who knows.  If someone has actually looked at the Feb forecast for Indonesia and/or the IO, I would be interested to know if it is firing there.  There is a school where it just stall in phase 3 or loops back in phase 3 per the Canadian LR.  One parting thought on the MJO, there are some rare occurrences where it stays cold in those phases.  I don't think that occurs w/ this, but overnight modeling gives me some pause there.

• Like 2

Something of a tangent that I noticed staring at satellite imagery this AMN, but I do think it is pattern related:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761132410fd05a634c2ca0

The first thing to notice is the the big plunge of dry air as a trough plows through the Caribbean (gold arrow). Watch it for a few loops and get a sense of how deep that is pushing toward S America. That trough is from our upslope storm as it rolled off the coast and fired up off the Gulf Stream. 

The real thing of interest to me though is related to the green arrow. That Caribbean trough seems to have helped squeeze off some tropical moisture from Columbia. Watch a few loops and you can see how that moisture gets picked up by the mid latitude trough over the southwest and us now being aimed at us in the TN Valley. Not sure it means a whole lot for our weather, just an interesting moisture source lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 0z CFSv2 this morning, after being warm for several runs yesterday, is back to another cold shot during early Feb.  It probably is over doing it, but I think modeling is torn between warm phase MJO and looping back into cold phases.  I don't have time to look at actual convection in the long range, but that looks a lot like phases 8, 1, and 2 getting recycled.  It could be feedback.  It may not be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Not a bad trend on GFS with the first system but temps are gross. No cold air in sight.  I say its the "table setter" for the one behind. Which also is low on coolant lol.  not much to hang our hats on with temps so marginal right now.  We will need a nice bombing low to wrap cold air in.

Yea, not sure how or why there is no cold air in sight now I thought that was the big thing lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

Not a bad trend on GFS with the first system but temps are gross. No cold air in sight.  I say its the "table setter" for the one behind. Which also is low on coolant lol.  not much to hang our hats on with temps so marginal right now.  We will need a nice bombing low to wrap cold air in.

LOL I'm stealing this.  :guitar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Euro is cutting. Still has winter in the western areas but won't be surprised to see it end up cutting even further West just based on how it's going this year. Odd Nina when you can't get cold in the western areas of the forum. Of course we've been behaving like a super Nino the last few weeks instead of a Nina.

• Sad 1

For what once was a cutter west of west TN...the system on the 22nd/23rd has moved SE a bunch.  I think these systems are going to verify SE of their current spots, but I could be wrong.  This system late this weekend is a good example.  I am seeing essentially a storm cutting through E TN which is about 500 miles SE of where it was a few days ago.  Interesting.  Admittedly, I have been out of pocket today...so that is an incredibly fast observation from me, and the quality of my comment may reflect the amount of time I looked at it!!!!

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic