• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Great forecast discussion by CTP for the snow chance tomorrow night.

Lift ahead of the sfc low will generate precip out of the lowering deck, but initially dry llvls will resist it. By sunset, some snow is expected to hit the ground along the MD border, generally in the Laurels, but perhaps over closer to THV/LNS, too. The synoptic situation lends itself to some slantwise instability over the CWA, with banded precip likely. The intensity and placement of the band(s) is in question. These mesoscale features usually are at this range. While the details are not clear, the big picture is that most if not all of the precip over the CWA will be snow.

The SLRs are expected to be rather low/wet (7-10:1). That`s a negative for big SF numbers, as is the forward speed (and lowresidence time) of the system. It`s much like a clipper, but coming more from the west than from Alberta (Kansas Klipper).

However, most models make 0.10" of QPF over the srn half or so of the CWA, mainly between 00Z and 10Z Sun. A stripe of heavier (0.25") QPF is possible per the NAM and a couple of HREF members, but "Where?" is the question. At this point, the mean answer is somewhere between UNV and MDT, parallel and close to a JST-AOO-SEG-HZL line. The main takeaway at this time in the forecast was to raise the SF numbers to 1-2" in that area, and make mention of T-1" all the way south to the MD border. Will keep mentions of T-1" in a stripe of zones from Clearfield to Sullivan Cos. This should cover subsequent waggle(s) N and S of the focus for slightly heavier precip. All said, someone on the higher elevations in the Laurels and/or Ridge-and-Valley Region may get near 3". At this range and with the uncertainties of multiple items, there is no need for an advy anywhere - yet.

4 hours ago, anotherman said:

There is basically no cold air in much of the northern hemisphere.

Agree on our side of the northern hemisphere and Western Europe, however the other side is a whole different story that probably shouldn’t be overlooked. Lots of cold anomalies spread across a large part of the Asian continent (most of Russia from west to east, China, eventually Japan, etc) during the next 7-14 days. If it’s super warm on our side, it’s typically really cold somewhere else on the other side.

7 day mean temp (D1-8)

539194666_ECGEFS1-7.thumb.png.6df2b5fe2969eeea7a3ed5ee0fbf8bad.png

7 day mean temp (D8-15)

1225217388_ECGEFS8-15.thumb.png.a9e78d5b02efa79ac7f90d3af1c385fa.png

We are and will continue to work a decent negative -AO regime throughout the period (next 15 days) so one of my concerns regarding any eventual flip back to an overall colder pattern here is possibly considering the fact that the bulk of the cold dump into mid-latitudes is occurring on the other side of the hemisphere and not ours. On the other hand, there is still “cold” to work with that in the right setup to get us to snow…even with the bigger storm potential late next week. This is January after all. We’re just not in a cold regime overall until some wholesale changes occur. That’s likely going to hinge on what kind/magnitude of MJO forcing we have going forward (even the circle is better than another 4-5-6 run). I feel like we will eventually come back around to a much better period but it may take a couple weeks longer to get there. That doesn’t mean we can’t have opportunities in the meantime either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Memories 245b08fe60f671d271a0a2072f4b7297.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wow Jan 6, 7, 8 1996. Oh the Memories! All the EPIC, EPIC jebwalks! I was so young back then! I was digging snow for a while! I was so damned excited, I didnt sleep for three days straight! That, was THE STORM OF A LIFETIME !!!!!!

• Like 4