• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I agree with almost everything that you shared here - the only thing I'll elaborate on is the part about "doom and gloom" posting. To me, the weather is the weather whether or not it's 75 or 5 in January. Comments regarding excessive warmth right now is not doom and gloom, I've seen none of that in our thread this week. I see a lot of people posting about what the weather is - abnormally warm. It's the current reality. And I'll post about it just like I post every day in July when it's 97. I enjoy posting about ALL kinds of weather. 

When people aren't posting about heavy snow and bitter cold that's not necessarily a negative indictment. 

Now - if someone says an hour before an obvious impending snowstorm "let me see how this can fail" - I will be the first one to call them out for being doom and gloom. 

True. There's some people who see warmth as a positive thing. As much as I love big winter storms I do love it when we get really warm days like the past few we've had. I'm a big fan of both lol

• Like 1

Yep.  I've been hammering this point for years. 
It really plays into public perception because people automatically associate record warmth with high temperatures. What doesn't get alot of play is looking at our rainfall the last 20-25 years. People associated record warmth with dryness. I see record warmth, especially mins being that much more moisture the atmosphere can hold. I need to see how far back I can find hourly dew points and track that average.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

True. There's some people who see warmth as a positive thing. As much as I love big winter storms I do love it when we get really warm days like the past few we've had. I'm a big fan of both lol

Who are the warminista's, lol?  Mahantango and Voyager are the only two I can recall.   A lot just talk about weather and whether it is warm or cold, they post. 

39 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I had a feeling that you were a fan or warm weather - I lurk in the tropical threads and see you posting more there than you do here. :)  

You're exactly right though - some are only active here in the winter, and are much more "fans of snow" while others are here year round, and are truly fans of all kinds of weather. Personally, I get just as stoked watching 4" of rain fall in an hour as I do 12" of snow fall in the winter...I'm a weather fan first and foremost. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

No one appreciates how much the average minimums have played a role in this. It's actually nuts. Compare average high temperatures to average low temperatures over last 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep.  I've been hammering this point for years. 

I don't have the numerical data, but I know for certain that this is 100% accurate. Far many more nights in the 20s and 30s instead of the teens these days compared to years ago, and look at how many summer nights now stay in the 70s. 

48 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't have the numerical data, but I know for certain that this is 100% accurate. Far many more nights in the 20s and 30s instead of the teens these days compared to years ago, and look at how many summer nights now stay in the 70s. 

Well, here are the annual departures for MDT for average max and min over the last five years:

2022:  .7 and .6 AN

2021:  1.9 and 2.9 AN

2020:  3.6 and 3.1 AN

2019:  2.1 and 2.3 AN

2018:  .7 and 1.9 AN

So, avg. max was 1.8 AN and avg. min was 2.2 AN.  Not as large of a gap as I thought there'd be but could go back more years to verify.  I do know this disparity is more pronounced in the summer, with nighttime lows being much more AN than daytime highs due to increased moisture and cloud cover, as mentioned by others. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, here are the annual departures for MDT for average max and min over the last five years:

2022:  .7 and .6 AN

2021:  1.9 and 2.9 AN

2020:  3.6 and 3.1 AN

2019:  2.1 and 2.3 AN

2018:  .7 and 1.9 AN

So, avg. max was 1.8 AN and avg. min was 2.2 AN.  Not as large of a gap as I thought there'd be but could go back more years to verify.  I do know this disparity is more pronounced in the summer, with nighttime lows being much more AN than daytime highs due to increased moisture and cloud cover, as mentioned by others. 

Thank you sir! Good stuff as always. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

A preview of uncovered AC units at short pump next week.  :-)

How to Protect Your Chambersburg, PA, HVAC System from Snow

When the HVAC guys came to the homestead when I first inquired about central AC,  the guy showed me a unit that looked similar to that. After a brief discussion it became apparent to both of us that it was gonna take a bigger unit than that...

• Haha 1