• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

I have used up my snow map allotment for the day but the 18Z Nam 12 and 3K made a big adjustment toward the EC, Rgem, HRRR and GFS as to 12 and 18Z models.  Measurable east to Harrisburg now for front end   Northwestern parts of the LSV have more than 6 hours of snow.  Temps on the Nam are close enough to freezing to suggest we may have some school issues with that depiction. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

Very colorful:

US.png

I have relatives who moved from here to northern Wyoming last year (what were they thinking?).  Their forecast low is -28 Wednesday night and a Wind Chill Warning with values down to -50.  It's cool to experience weather extremes but, um, no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Festus said:

I have relatives who moved from here to northern Wyoming last year (what were they thinking?).  Their forecast low is -28 Wednesday night and a Wind Chill Warning with values down to -50.  It's cool to experience weather extremes but, um, no.

LOL. Yep the snow extreme yes the temp extremes NO. 

49 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Agreed on a lot of what you stated.  Yeah one of the old rules was to watch where a storm hits the Pac, as that would often be a precursor to where it exits the east coast.  In this case that's not really applicable though. 

As I'm reflecting regarding the MJO, the only thing sticks in my crawl is that while it that while we are in low amplitude P2 right now, if one couples that with the other indicies, easy conversation would have argued for a better result that we are currently starting at.  Obviously this aint easy. 

When I made my prognostication a while back regarding the potentially better times, I most definitely considered the low amp 8/1/2 and thought that when factored into AO NAO and rising PNA, it argued for a ridge west trough east deal.  Late last week some were sharing "ridge too far W" and that was going to muck up our pattern here in the east w/ trough into central basin and not further east.  Unless I missed it (dont think I did though), I saw little on Ens guidance suggesting this scenario as toughing was shown further east.  I guess someone has some tool that I dont know about (or as you state, better pattern recognition skills) than most of us that were thinking better times ahead.  Maybe a higher amp 8/1/2 is now needed as we enter this new regime.  That in my mind makes some sense and I'll stowe that away next time things look more favorable.    

agree 8.5 would be perfect, especially if really amp high and returning  but when the hell have I ever seen that that last time?   Before Covid LOL?

Of course in a fading La Nina pattern, look to late Feb  into March for the possible heavy snow events.  The La Nina year 1993 storm brings back memories of a triple phaser. 1985 is the best analogy for this years weather pattern. Had record breaking cold snap too.

https://psl.noaa.gov/enso/climaterisks/years/top24enso.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_North_American_cold_wave

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/allentown/most-yearly-snow

• Like 1