Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

18 minutes ago, anotherman said:

“The immaculate reception”

I was confused, I thought one of the previous posters said there was a play that was ruled no catch.  I always thought the Immaculate reception was obviously a catch and had hit a Raider and Franco caught it.  I see now there is some controversy both about who it hit and whether it hit the ground.  Sorry....

3 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

I think until there is a giant shakeup in the Pacific, our weather is our weather. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference so far in the "triple dip," and if anything, at least in my neck of the nape, nape of the woods, it's been warmer and less snowy than the previous seasons.

The cold, this coming front notwithstanding, has been progged to be impressive, but mutes as it arrives and it's cold but not too cold, and sometimes it's still close to average. The warm is warm, but not torch. We're kinda just... luke.

And until the big change happens, whenever that is, not a long else will.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Wind Chill Watch. I've never seen that before. Wind Chill values around -25.

Does this have to eventually be upgraded to a Wind Chill Warning?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

The Pac influence this month definitely played a hand in delaying/muting the arrival of cold by at least a week or so in the first half of the month in the form of some troughing in the western states (-PNA) and also a small period of +EPO which has since flipped negative. It is finally in the last few days since last Thursday’s event that we have settled into a colder regime. Originally, an actual worry of mine going into this period we had of significant -NAO/AO was watching something big go south/east of us and snow on the Mid-Atlantic. If we would’ve had a more traditional big western ridge, that reality might have happened, or perhaps something in between.  Teleconnections are just indexes, and the positioning of the features that drive whether those indexes are positive/negative/etc are not always completely ideal for what we want. Case in point with this coming system.. western ridge is positioned just a bit too far west.

Now speaking about this particular cold shot, I agree in terms of longevity. The EPO is in the process of flipping back to positive over Christmas weekend, and appears to remain pretty positive next week and perhaps beyond for a time. That will shut off the arctic air source region and allow our weather to rapidly modify back to at least average temps. In the meantime however.. from about Friday night-Sunday night, this is going to be a major shot of cold and one of the coldest Christmas holidays in years. 

The combo of the temp and the winds behind this really deep low pressure are going to make for some dangerous wind chills. Pretty much all models are supportive of wind chill warning type apparent temps in the Laurels and north central mountains. The rest of CTP’s area will likely end up with wind chill advisories. The other thing about this system is since the deep low tracks through and north of the Lakes, the westerly flow pulls the arctic air directly from the North-Central under the lakes through the Ohio Valley to us. A NW flow over the unfrozen lakes would have modified the air some. The drawback there of course is that there won’t be much in the way of LES in the western parts of CTP as the W/WSW flow will target W NY and far NW PA once again for significant lake snows.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I seriously did not realize it..,I know about Franco and his HOF career but I somehow missed this.  You are a lot younger than I.  I will search out a youtube on it. 

It's fine my friend - despite having no affection or ties to the Steelers, I am surprised that you are not aware of the Immaculate Reception. Another great example of never taking anything for granted or making assumptions. :) 

17 minutes ago, TimB said:

Franco played his last game in a Steeler uniform before I was even born and this hits me harder than I thought it would. Legendary player, legendary person. 

I was 7 - and fully immersed. You know, when most normal kids are either pushing toy trucks around or outside playing in the woods. I was glued to NBC back then as they had contractual ties to the AFC games and I would watch every game that the Black and Gold were televised. 

I absolutely remember this game - it cemented my fondness that day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's fine my friend - despite having no affection or ties to the Steelers, I am surprised that you are not aware of the Immaculate Reception. Another great example of never taking anything for granted or making assumptions. :) 

I was 7 - and fully immersed. You know, when most normal kids are either pushing toy trucks around or outside playing in the woods. I was glued to NBC back then as they had contractual ties to the AFC games and I would watch every game that the Black and Gold were televised. 

Me too bro. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I knew about it but did not know there was controversy.  Guess my head was in the sand on that one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Found out today I'm missing a few shingles - no one can fix of course by tomorrow. So new roof for me I guess once the wind catches the rest and rips it to shreds. 

F*ck wind. 

Maybe get insurance to pay for it if missing shingles means damaged.   Roofs are super expensive right now....shingle prices. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The cruelest part of that?

The area where the heaviest snow was to fall (over our houses) is the exact same area that has no weather watches or warnings up now. :) 

If it helps any, my snow shovel is in the shed which is a decent walk from my garage re: not expecting to use it any time soon.   Would not surprise me to see CTP pop a Flood watch for Eastern LSV. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I think me, you, @CarlislePaWx & @canderson could be in a good spot tomorrow am!

Hey I just got a chance to see my NWS forecast and it went from less than half an inch this morning to now one to three inches.  All those short range models showed cumberland county receiving anywhere from 3 to 5 inches.  Nice to see some agreement now from NWS for the greater potential.

I'm down to 27.5 and dropping.  Dew point is 22 and wet bulb is 25.9.  So when the precip begins (snow), there won't be much evaporational cooling possible.

• Like 1