Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2022

George BM

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Different breed up here in PA....people, not the deer. Hit a deer and within minutes somebody is scraping it off the road and stocking their freezer. 

Pretty sure it ran off, we drove back by the scene after dance and couldn't see a deer anywhere. I mean, hell, I never even saw it when it hit me. Just driving along a back country road and BAM, loud thud and the car shuddered. I saw a brown blur bounce off my drivers side and that was it. 

21 minutes ago, mappy said:

Pretty sure it ran off, we drove back by the scene after dance and couldn't see a deer anywhere. I mean, hell, I never even saw it when it hit me. Just driving along a back country road and BAM, loud thud and the car shuddered. I saw a brown blur bounce off my drivers side and that was it. 

Glad you're ok. Those things can do a number to vehicles and the folks inside. Like you said...in a flash.

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Glad you're ok. Those things can do a number to vehicles and the folks inside. Like you said...in a flash.

I am always on alert on that drive, no street lights or anything. usually see them out in the farm fields, but this happened near homes. Phew. 

Incredibly thankful it wasn't worse, and that I can still drive the car. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mappy said:

I am always on alert on that drive, no street lights or anything. usually see them out in the farm fields, but this happened near homes. Phew. 

Incredibly thankful it wasn't worse, and that I can still drive the car. 

You said you didn't see it? Hmm, haven't seen Ji around today yet. I wonder if he was stalking and you clipped him.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, mappy said:

Friendly reminder to watch out for deer. Never even saw it and it hit my front left bumper. Kid dropped a well placed “what the fuck was that” when it happened. lol

we are okay, car will need repairs, but it’s driveable. Oof what an evening. 

@mappy, that's awful and I'm sure quite scary!  Definitely would freak me out to have that happen suddenly in the dark.  Glad you are OK.  The car's condition obviously is secondary to how you and mini-map are!

(Oh, and by the way, did your little mini-map actually use the "f" word???!!!)

11 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You said you didn't see it? Hmm, haven't seen Ji around today yet. I wonder if he was stalking and you clipped him.

:lol: I sure hope it wasn't a person!

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

@mappy, that's awful and I'm sure quite scary!  Definitely would freak me out to have that happen suddenly in the dark.  Glad you are OK.  The car's condition obviously is secondary to how you and mini-map are!

(Oh, and by the way, did your little mini-map actually use the "f" word???!!!)

Startling more than scary, just very sudden. Could have been worse, so we are grateful it wasn't. 

But yes, she actually used the word. I couldn't help but laugh. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Always a good sign, I normally take that as an indication that the models didn't totally suck for us the previous night! :lol: Whenever I see the last post (or several posts) in the discussion thread is by him...I know it's a rant about how everything sucks!! LOL!!!

Kinda like Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren's quote:  "I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Startling more than scary, just very sudden. Could have been worse, so we are grateful it wasn't. 

But yes, she actually used the word. I couldn't help but laugh. 

Of course!  Sometimes you just have to laugh at that, when it's blurted out suddenly!  You were probably thinking the exact same thing that she said!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mappy said:

Friendly reminder to watch out for deer. Never even saw it and it hit my front left bumper. Kid dropped a well placed “what the fuck was that” when it happened. lol

we are okay, car will need repairs, but it’s driveable. Oof what an evening. 

Glad it was not as bad as it could have been and that you are both ok. 

And kids using the appropriate phrase that they assign to an event in the moment is always ok in my book. Then again I am one of those parents that used to have a swear jar when they were younger so it just does not phase me anymore. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Of course!  Sometimes you just have to laugh at that, when it's blurted out suddenly!  You were probably thinking the exact same thing that she said!!

Oh I was, she just beat me to actually saying it :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Glad it was not as bad as it could have been and that you are both ok. 

And kids using the appropriate phrase that they assign to an event in the moment is always ok in my book. Then again I am one of those parents that used to have a swear jar when they were younger so it just does not phase me anymore. 

Thanks! And yes, I laughed. No way would I be mad at her for that, she was scared/confused just as I was about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Given how my dad cursed like a sailor I learned that vocabulary at a very young age.  I'm sure if it was me in the car I would have said "holy fucking shit, that was fucking close and fucking scary.  I think I shit my pants.  Fucking A.  What a fucking asshole deer.  I need a fucking drink."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, H2O said:

Given how my dad cursed like a sailor I learned that vocabulary at a very young age.  I'm sure if it was me in the car I would have said "holy fucking shit, that was fucking close and fucking scary.  I think I shit my pants.  Fucking A.  What a fucking asshole deer.  I need a fucking drink."

You can probably find it, but there's this recording some time back of a narrator (sounding very professorial) with classical music in the background, going into all the uses of the word "fuck".  He starts off by saying something like "Of all the words in the English language, perhaps the most versatile is the word 'fuck'".  He then goes on to use it as every part of speech ("It can be use as a noun, as in 'you worthless fuck'", etc.).  Pretty amusing!

I may have heard my parents curse once as I was growing up, and I'll never forget it! My mom told me that she was was "tired of this shit" when I was acting up about something when I was probably like 10 years old. That's just stuck with me, so I don't think my kids have ever heard me curse. Wife might drop an "ass" or "damnit" from time to time, but otherwise you don't hear much colorful language in our house! :lol:

On another note...tension is rising in the long-range thread. Even if he's making a valid point, you gotta love psu coming in and pushing some folks closer to the ledge. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, mattie g said:

I may have heard my parents curse once as I was growing up, and I'll never forget it! My mom told me that she was was "tired of this shit" when I was acting up about something when I was probably like 10 years old. That's just stuck with me, so I don't think my kids have ever heard me curse. Wife might drop an "ass" or "damnit" from time to time, but otherwise you don't hear much colorful language in our house! :lol:

On another note...tension is rising in the long-range thread. Even if he's making a valid point, you gotta love psu coming in and pushing some folks closer to the ledge. :lol:

Yeah I saw all that in the main long range thread!  PSU does have some good points, he always does, and he's very thorough.  I like his detailed posts to be honest.  But I will admit at times it gets too much on the "well, this can go wrong, that can go wrong, we don't want it to evolve how it's showing now..."  Caveats are great, but sometimes you end up just looking at the worst case scenarios.

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah I saw all that in the main long range thread!  PSU does have some good points, he always does, and he's very thorough.  I like his detailed posts to be honest.  But I will admit at times it gets too much on the "well, this can go wrong, that can go wrong, we don't want it to evolve how it's showing now..."  Caveats are great, but sometimes you end up just looking at the worst case scenarios.

Agreed. Part of this "effort" for me is just enjoying the art of the possible. Turning that into the "art of the not likely " is a bummer, even though I get it from a scientific and discussion standpoint.

Maybe I just need to put psu on Ignore. :lol:

7 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Glad you and the kiddo are ok,  @mappy  . Also, gold star parenting that she knew exactly the right expression to fit the moment.

Thanks friend! And yeah, I was almost proud of her reaction. Expected her to be crying and freaking out. But we both were so startled and confused. She's been telling the story to anyone who listens. I feel for her friends at school today :lol: 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic