Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Just now, CAPE said:

The pattern might just morph from one favorable configuration to another, like the CFS is suggesting. Not typically how things roll, but this could be one of those winters.

Did you happen to check out the extended,  GFS? It shows a continuation of blocking. According to HM the mechanisms to support the North Atlantic blocking are supposed to cycle and repeat.

You also have to wonder if what occurred in the southern hemisphere during winter is going to occur in the northern hemisphere during our winter. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_52.png

That block is unreal. I mean you cant really ask for a better look as far as East Coast snowstorms go. The block backs over Baffin as this Gefs run moves to mid month as the block weakens as well. That is probably our prime window to get hammered. A weakening block with it retrograding over Baffin just screams beatdown for us. When I was calling out the mid December period a couple of weeks ago it was pure speculation. It is starting to get more real now IMO. 

I'll be the first to admit I don't know how to read a map, but wouldn't that trough east of Hawaii suggest some southern stream interaction?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know how to read a map, but wouldn't that trough east of Hawaii suggest some southern stream interaction?

yeah, that's why you actually want a -PNA... you get really robust shortwaves crashing onto the WC that get trapped under the block, and the ridging near AK drives northern stream shortwaves southward to phase

it's such a good pattern

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

-AO hitting -3 or -4 in December also bodes well for January and beyond.

AO is the key and not the NAO for longer term stable winter patterns in the east. NAO domain space can make numerical readings muddy. Focusing on the NAO is 2 weeks out tops (imo only). AO is the granddaddy beyond that. 

I found an old attachment in my files. This isn't the better stuff I put together but it's a great snapshot. Basically, a Dec ao reading below 1.5 pretty much locks in more blocking. Pretty classic look rn and a lot of classic data to get excited about. At least for being squarely in the game. Actual production has less to do with the AO and more to do with our dicey location. 

AO -1.00 or lower.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

nice subtle hint at suppression :)

Counterintuitive in Dec but man, upper levels gon crazy it seems. Also, a honking -2.5 or deeper NAO is not good here. That's not when it commomly snows. Always gotta wait for the relax towards neutral. If a big -nao just parks and wobbles, a lot of people will change their mind with exactly how much -nao they want in their Wheaties lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Counterintuitive in Dec but man, upper levels gon crazy it seems. Also, a honking -2.5 or deeper NAO is not good here. That's not when it commomly snows. Always gotta wait for the relax towards neutral. If a big -nao just parks and wobbles, a lot of people will change their mind with exactly how much -nao they want in their Wheaties lol

Congrats Orville and Wilbur Wright

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Was just looking over that decade...I mean wow, to think the "runts" of that litter were 18" and 19", lol

Times have changed and our area would lose on the margins or marginal events. Hard to reminisce about 60s winters nowadays because the base state that made it all possible is gone. 

However, a warming planet also increases moisture content. We're seeing that all over the place in real time with epic flooding and even minor storms dumping an unexpected ocean small areas. So cold/wet periods are likely to be more wet than before. That can offset climo lines shifting north when the pattern is ripe. Boom and bust will only get boomier and bustier 

@frd when teles are rockin already, we don't want the arctic hounds. Especially in Jan. The see saw can saw right down to Raleigh when everything lines up in anomalous fashion. Artic air is dry AF too. Look back on years with cross polar and a west based block. There are a few since 1970 and they are all mostly dry here and to our north. Grit and Raleigh wx and SE crew root for different stuff. When they love what they see we usually "just like it until it breaks our hearts" lol

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

^that JMA block is so big is almost an eastern ridge.......that can't happen can it? 

Better hope it's wrong actually. Don't won't a nao ser linkage, of which has happened a few times in recent years, and that looks close to a possible occurrence, imo.  Used to be very rare back in the day. 

53 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

and not as subtle hint of suppression!

7 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Don't like those high heights in the Gulf. Hope that's exaggerated. 

We usually dont rely on Miller A types or storms coming out of the GOM during Ninas. That ridge reflection is a base state im fairly certain. And wrt your other post, yes the linkage between the NAO and SER isnt unheard of and certainly could be one possibility. Of more importance to me is we are losing that strong TPV near Hudson that ens were showing being almost stationary. That feature was allowing waves/fronts to keep plowing underneath and was heliping to flatten the SER. Something else to keep an eye on. Things could be a million times worse, theres a reason teleconnection perfection is rare.

• Like 1