• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

We have picked up 2.29" of rain so far here in East Nantmeal over the last 3 days with 0.10" falling since midnight.
Rain amounts look less today but it still looks like some showers will be around till later tomorrow.
The record high for today is 91 degrees set in 1919. The record low is 26 degrees set back in 1899. The daily rainfall record is 1.21" set in 1985.
image.png.eded409f8317228ddb0a6fdf1be89c79.png
  • Like 1

The remnants of Ian are becoming a hybrid low near the mid-Atlantic coast with a shallow warm core (mainly 850 mb and above).   The interaction between this very slow-moving low and a strong high pressure system over E Canada and the NE US is creating a major, multi-tidal cycle coastal flooding event from northeast NC to southern NJ  that will continue into Wed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Enormous slug of moisture crashing the entire Jersey coast from the Atlantic right now, such a giant guidance fail.

By the way, meant to mention to you and Birds that I normally monitor the Live Storm Chasing guys and have seen more and more freelancers on that including one who was going all weekend who I discovered was running on there out of Ryan Hall Ya'll's outfit (Brandon Copic)!  :lol:  OMG.  That guy's a nut but I like the chatty ones anyway.

Also meant to mention that I think you brought up the Fujiwara ballroom dance going on with what was left with Ian earlier.  I was thinking it would do a completely transfer but all it seemed to do was step out onto the dance floor and took a partner.

Am now up to 0.54" for the day, 4.13" for the event and it's currently 48 and misty with dp 46.

8 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

By the way, meant to mention to you and Birds that I normally monitor the Live Storm Chasing guys and have seen more and more freelancers on that including one who was going all weekend who I discovered was running on there out of Ryan Hall Ya'll's outfit (Brandon Copic)!  :lol:  OMG.  That guy's a nut but I like the chatty ones anyway.

Also meant to mention that I think you brought up the Fujiwara ballroom dance going on with what was left with Ian earlier.  I was thinking it would do a completely transfer but all it seemed to do was step out onto the dance floor and took a partner.

Am now up to 0.54" for the day, 4.13" for the event and it's currently 48 and misty with dp 46.

Checkout the gargantuan stalled conveyor belt in the Atlantic formed by Ian, the formidable blocking created this beast. Guidance doesn't even know what this thing is lol.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G16&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

• Like 1

Going to say something with all seriousness- this is the worst nor'easter of my lifetime. It's going to be five consecutive days of near constant varying intensity rain and northeast wind through tomorrow now on guidance. Not counting Friday evening rains from the initial surge even. Then there is the 20 degree below normal temperatures, NYC has set a record low maximum high and may do it again today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Going to say something with all seriousness- this is the worst nor'easter of my lifetime. It's going to be five consecutive days of near constant varying intensity rain and northeast wind through tomorrow now on guidance. Not counting Friday evening rains from the initial surge even. Then there is the 20 degree below normal temperatures, NYC has set a record low maximum high and may do it again tomorrow.

I'm wondering what our record low max is - have been trying to dig around for it.

If this setup had occurred in February, we would have been buried. It would have been "Tug Hill Plateau South" territory.  :o

Ironically 3 years ago around this time, Philly hit 95 (Oct. 2) - https://www.inquirer.com/weather/philadelphia-weather-record-heat-autumn-rain-20191002.html

Philadelphia temperature tops 90 on an October day for first time in 78 years

The temperature reached a high of 95 degrees around 2:25 p.m.

The Philadelphia skyline is pictured from Riverwinds Park in West Deptford, N.J., on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019.
The Philadelphia skyline is pictured from Riverwinds Park in West Deptford, N.J., on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019.TIM TAI / Staff Photographer
by Joseph A. Gambardello
Updated 
Oct 2, 2019

The official temperature in Philadelphia on Wednesday surpassed 90 degrees, reaching a high that had not been seen on an October day since 1941.

The temperature reached 95 degrees at Philadelphia International Airport about 2:25 p.m., National Weather Service meteorologist Sarah Johnson said. That easily broke the record for the date of 87, set in 2002, and was 20 degrees above normal.

“It’s very rare for us to even get any temperature above 90 degrees in the month of October,” Johnson said.

The latest date on which a 90-degree reading has been recorded in Philadelphia was Oct. 10, which occurred in 1939.

*snip*

It's currently misty and 45 with dp 44.  I finished up with 0.69" of rain yesterday and with the 0.24" that I have received since midnight, I am now at 4.52" for the event (since last Friday).   Doing  a 10:1 ratio on that is scary. :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I'm wondering what our record low max is - have been trying to dig around for it.

If this setup had occurred in February, we would have been buried. It would have been "Tug Hill Plateau South" territory.  :o

Ironically 3 years ago around this time, Philly hit 95 (Oct. 2) - https://www.inquirer.com/weather/philadelphia-weather-record-heat-autumn-rain-20191002.html

It's currently misty and 45 with dp 44.  I finished up with 0.69" of rain yesterday and with the 0.24" that I have received since midnight, I am now at 4.52" for the event (since last Friday).   Doing  a 10:1 ratio on that is scary. :lol:

With winter cold this would have been worse than the blizzard of 1888, and centered over the Delaware Valley/central Jersey.

There would have been daily forecast changes too having to add additional feet of snow as new information was coming in..

42 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Going to say something with all seriousness- this is the worst nor'easter of my lifetime. It's going to be five consecutive days of near constant varying intensity rain and northeast wind through tomorrow now on guidance. Not counting Friday evening rains from the initial surge even. Then there is the 20 degree below normal temperatures, NYC has set a record low maximum high and may do it again today.

My high yesterday was 50.

My average low is in the low 50s.

Looks like another wet and unseasonably chilly day with temps again remaining in the 40's for many spots across the County. We should finally see some drying by tomorrow. A couple of beautiful days coming up on Thursday and Friday with temps near 70. Turning much cooler by the weekend maybe even some frost in some lower spots in the County.
The record high today is 86 degrees set in 1959. The record low is 29 degrees from 1974. The daily rainfall record is 2.20" from 2000.
image.png.7617858eb6aa8bc93770186438b1bb3a.png

This has definitely been an amazing drought buster. I have been saying for months this would end with a week of rain.

Having lived along the north shore since the early 80’s I have experienced similar events. They all kind of blend together. Fire hose events featuring NE fetch. Back bay water rise. Beach erosion.

Imo the winds peaked sat morning after trashing our back yard with 40-50 mph gusts.

There was one event years ago when we did not see the sun for almost 10 days.

It appears after tomorrow things will get brighter.

50f. Rain NNE to 20

Rinse and repeat

Been watching the beach cams in Rehoboth. As you know they were smoked back in May with a five day storm of relentless waves and wind. Took out about half the beach. Was very noticeable when I was there in July. Once again they are getting pounded, and the dunes that held in May are starting to fade now.  

Feel bad as all that work it took them to put that beach back together in the early 2000's is almost gone. 

Must have received 1"-2"+ just this morning and probably 4-6"+ so far for this marathon event.

High tide for Atlantic City/shore is 3:30pm and from watching the local news this morning (low tide) it was pretty bad down there, can't imagine what this afternoon will bring. Beach erosion must be bad...

On/off downpours 45F...

*Phils playoffs...Birds 4-0...woo hoo!