• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Our dry and below normal temperatures should continue for the rest of the work week. Still keeping an eye on Hurricane Ian that could bring some showers across Chester County over the weekend.
The record high for today is 92 degrees set way back in 1900. Our record low temp is 30 degrees from 1947. Daily rainfall record is 4.02" from 1985 - that rain was the result of Hurricane Gloria which over the 2 days ending today resulted in 5.59" of rain here in Chester County.
image.png.9f64ae3818bc485427b4a63de76683ac.png

7 hours ago, ChescoWx said:
 Daily rainfall record is 4.02" from 1985 - that rain was the result of Hurricane Gloria which over the 2 days ending today resulted in 5.59" of rain here in Chester County.

I remember trying to get out early from work when Gloria was blowing past.  No luck. :lol:

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Over the years watched a crapload of canes cross Cuba and they always get discombobulated and ragged, not this one

When I saw the track, I viscerally recalled it was either 2004 or 2005 when FL was the bullseye for so many 'canes and confirmed (and even saw a news item about it) how Ian is doing a path similar to the nasty little powerful Hurricane Charley from 2004.

charley2004trk.gif

Charley did make landfall on some of the keys as a Cat 4.

As an obs, I finished with a high of 75 yesterday and had a low of 51 this morning.  The skies have been variable, with lots of cumulus, and it's currently a pleasant 69 with dp 48.

(edit to add the 2pm track for Ian)

161142_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Most spots across Chester County saw temperatures this morning bottom out in the low to mid-40's - this is about 10 degrees below normal for late September. High's today and the rest of the week will stay in the low to mid 60's this is about 8 degrees below our normal highs. It looks likely we will finish September with below normal temperatures. This would be our 4th below normal month in the first 9 months of 2022. Our last below normal month was in June.
Our record high for today is 87 degrees set in 1921. This is the first day since April 30th that the record high temperature is not over 90 degrees here in the County. The record low temp for today is the 30 degrees set back in 1947. Our daily rainfall record is the 2.97" that fell today back in 2004.
image.png.7cb4c43a260f2ca0eceb32639507943c.png

My Tues. high was 70 and yesterday's high a 68, after a low of 50.

It's currently 51 with dp 47 and will be monitoring the track of what will be left of Ian as it is progged to get up here in some form or fashion this weekend and even as soon as Friday night.  Ian was just downgraded to a tropical storm at the 5 am update and will soon exit FL.  I know whatever comes up here is gonna have to fight some dry air.

SPC's SWDY3 has the SE part of the CWA under "Marginal Risk" for severe -

035748_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind1.png

NHC's tweet with WPC's precip forecast - southern areas of the CWA will be getting fringed.  I suppose what might make a difference is how long a duration is, including any wrap-arounds as the system exits and moves away from the east coast.

Currently down to 50 about 10 minutes before sunrise with dp 47.

31 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

The outflow from Ian made for a nice sunset here:

0929221856a_HDR_copy_3492x3775_copy_815x880.thumb.jpg.6a3a13dfc97b82600b45e12a3dd90003.jpg

Saw the exact same thing this evening.  Called it an "Ian sunset" where a few of the separated furthest north bands were even visible from my vantage point!

Was surprised, although perhaps shouldn't have been, that my high only got up to 66 today.  The dp was also dry enough to start generating the "winter like" static electricity walking across the carpet here.. LOL

It's currently 59 with dp 47.

41 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Saw the exact same thing this evening.  Called it an "Ian sunset" where a few of the separated furthest north bands were even visible from my vantage point!

Was surprised, although perhaps shouldn't have been, that my high only got up to 66 today.  The dp was also dry enough to start generating the "winter like" static electricity walking across the carpet here.. LOL

It's currently 59 with dp 47.

Better than steamy windows for sure, lol. Although the humidifiers will need to be pressed into service sometime in the next couple of months.

Just now, KamuSnow said:

Better than steamy windows for sure, lol. Although the humidifiers will need to be pressed into service sometime in the next couple of months.

It was definitely a change, although I expect a few days of "steam" from Ian before it moves on and the air gets scoured out again. :lol:

An extended period of unseasonably chilly and wet weather looks likely across Chester County from later today through Tuesday. Rainfall amounts could be as high as 2" to 3" in spots with temps remaining in the chilly 50's by day and 40's at night till next Wednesday.
Our record high for today is 88 degrees set back in 1986. The record low is 33 degrees set in 1992. The daily rainfall record is the 2.99" that fell today back in 2010.
image.png.9b1d18d28134ce7d64aa797422d56e63.png

September will end as the 4th month over the first 9 months with below normal temperatures here in Chester County PA. As you can see below the trend in Chester County has been for cooler Septembers than we used to experience. No doubt this will not be reflected in the weather data you will see on TV posted from the urban heat island that is the Philadelphia International Airport.

image.thumb.png.03f6c0914eefb122ab67ee297920f861.png

1 hour ago, mattinpa said:

So are we expecting  around 1-2 inches of rain from this? Too cool for many severe storms?

Since it as a history of crawling along, it may be a prolonged period intermittent rain.  The expectation was not so much what might be directly from the remnants of it but anything that gets spun off from those remnants.  As it is, the streamers from it are completely overhead here and it's currently overcast and 53 IMBY, with dp still low at 45.

COD-GOES-East-regional-eastcoast.truecolor.20220930.130617-over=map-bars-truecolor-09302022.gif

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Since it as a history of crawling along, it may be a prolonged period intermittent rain.  The expectation was not so much what might be directly from the remnants of it but anything that gets spun off from those remnants.  As it is, the streamers from it are completely overhead here and it's currently overcast and 53 IMBY, with dp still low at 45.

COD-GOES-East-regional-eastcoast.truecolor.20220930.130617-over=map-bars-truecolor-09302022.gif

I think we'll see some characteristics of a tropical storm. (Nothing, then sideways sheets of rain) I miss Floyd.

Kinda strange but media really making nothing of a Cat 1 hitting the SE (SC) after the Florida hit...it's going to screw up people's life...

Currently here: 

52.jpg

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I think we'll see some characteristics of a tropical storm. (Nothing, then sideways sheets of rain) I miss Floyd.

Kinda strange but media really making nothing of a Cat 1 hitting the SE (SC) after the Florida hit...it's going to screw up people's life...

Currently here: 

52.jpg

I remember it taking at least 3 hours to drive the 12 miles home from work during Floyd! :lol:  At the time I had one of those half barrel water gardens with various aquatic plants and 2 large comets in it (they were each about 9" long, head to tail). I think the insert for it holds about 20 gallons of water. I had the half barrel on a covered balcony that was otherwise open to the elements but still had to run out periodically to bucket excess water out of it or the fish would end up spilling out over the sides of the barrel, and then eventually washing over the edge of the balcony.  :o

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I remember it taking at least 3 hours to drive the 12 miles home from work during Floyd! :lol:  At the time I had one of those half barrel water gardens with various aquatic plants and 2 large comets in it (they were each about 9" long, head to tail). I think the insert for it holds about 20 gallons of water. I had the half barrel on a covered balcony that was otherwise open to the elements but still had to run out periodically to bucket excess water out of it or the fish would end up spilling out over the sides of the barrel, and then eventually washing over the edge of the balcony.  :o

Regarding Floyd, I've never seen a heavy downpour last so long...hours. House/street gutters/drains overflowing...wish I had phone/camera video back then.

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Those wimps in the MA forum are already discussing turning on the heat. #@$% that!! Windows wide open with a refreshing breeze blowing through the house.

61F/DP 48F

No joke, I'd rather go the entire winter w/o heat than the summer w/o A/C. I turned off my heat for shits and giggles on several occasions during winter's super cold nights and never fell below 42F-46F-ish range....never cracked the 30s.

If in advance this winter we see a week long cold stretch coming I may do a "turn off the heat week" and see how low my temp can go.....  

55F/DP 48F