Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,276
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    weatherman27
    Newest Member
    weatherman27
    Joined

August 2022


Rtd208
 Share

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think we'll see more rain moving forward. Droughts here don't last very long. 

Also apex of heat likely this Thursday. Ridge pulls back west a few days later. 100+ temps become very tough to do after mid August.

Believe it or not the sun angle does start to matter eventually 

I agree. It's been pretty dry and uneventful especially the last 3-4 months. We also haven't had much severe weather with the exception of a few isolated area in the metro region. I think we are headed back to a wetter/stormier pattern.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A nice 0.51 in the bucket overnight.  Clouds stuck all day and keeping it near 80.  Perhaps the first sub 80 high for many since June.  Once past today the heat is on Tue (8/2) through Fri (8/5) with 850 mb temps surging to >20c by wed, Thu and Fri.  Look for many mid  upper 90s and 100s in the warm spots similar to last go around.  Friday will see more southerly flow and humidity and with it starts the more Florida style pattern as the Western Atlantic ridge expands west.  A bit of a weakness between the W.AR and the Rockies / Plains ridge over the coming weekend Sat (8/6) and Sun (8/7) could mean best widespread rain chances in a while and potential for rainouts for the Mets. Beyond there continued overall warm into next week Mon (8/8) and humid.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

My thinking is that if winds are from too southerly a component coastal sections and NYC are not going to be as hot as expected tomorrow and Wednesday. This possibility needs to be watched.

WX/PT

 

when I lived in Brooklyn any breeze backing to the south gave me lower temperatures than NYC...a westerly compoment made me warmer than NYC...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, uncle W said:

when I lived in Brooklyn any breeze backing to the south gave me lower temperatures than NYC...a westerly compoment made me warmer than NYC...

In order for the hottest temperatures to occur we really need a downsloping westerly or even west northwesterly wind. In order to get that, we need a strong westward extension of the Bermuda HP and not too far south. While we could see that if the models have over-estimated the southeastward movement of the alleged cold front Thursday night through Saturday, I'm not really just yet sold on it. The proximity of the front bodes well for thunderstorm development more than it does for record-breaking heat here at the coast. And if the Bermuda HP flow is southwesterly some cooling breezes here are also a reasonable possibility with storms possibly forming on seabreeze fronts each day. We'll just have to wait and see day by day how this unfolds. NAM this morning came out with lower temperatures for tomorrow and Wednesday than on previous runs for whatever that's worth. But as we know, NAM is not terribly reliable.

WX/PT

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

In order for the hottest temperatures to occur we really need a downsloping westerly or even west northwesterly wind. In order to get that, we need a strong westward extension of the Bermuda HP and not too far south. While we could see that if the models have over-estimated the southeastward movement of the alleged cold front Thursday night through Saturday, I'm not really just yet sold on it. The proximity of the front bodes well for thunderstorm development more than it does for record-breaking heat here at the coast. And if the Bermuda HP flow is southwesterly some cooling breezes here are also a reasonable possibility with storms possibly forming on seabreeze fronts each day. We'll just have to wait and see day by day how this unfolds. NAM this morning came out with lower temperatures for tomorrow and Wednesday than on previous runs for whatever that's worth. But as we know, NAM is not terribly reliable.

WX/PT

Later Friday (8/5) and through the coming weekend looks a bit difficult to forecast in advance.  Could see a hung up boundary between the building WAR and the rim of the Plains ridge.  Not sure where that setsup and how long it linger before a more sw flow develops into next week.  One does see mich increased and improved widespread rain chances, even if that front / boundary is west, pop up Florida style storms are looking likely.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Later Friday (8/5) and through the coming weekend looks a bit difficult to forecast in advance.  Could see a hung up boundary between the building WAR and the rim of the Plains ridge.  Not sure where that setsup and how long it linger before a more sw flow develops into next week.  One does see mich increased and improved widespread rain chances, even if that front / boundary is west, pop up Florida style storms are looking likely.  

 

Quite a difference from a few days ago when it looked like 3-4 days of 95-100 degrees

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Quite a difference from a few days ago when it looked like 3-4 days of 95-100 degrees

Still looking like that Wed - Fri in my opinion, 3 days of strong heat.  Weekend, if enough sun could be very hot as well but it looks like a more cloudy, humid / stormy one.  Will see. This will be interesting to see how it progresses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...