Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
GL/MW/OV Jan 2011 Discussion

TheWeatherPimp

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a complete winter wonderland outside now, about 2.5" of snow on the ground (after accumulating 3.3" of fluffy lake effect/lake enhanced snow the last 2 days), complete with some flocking fluff on the trees...so, after just 5 days of bare ground it looks like winter has quickly returned, and dare I say the extended is looking up in one way or another. Is our quiet period over?

Noticed that there is a wind chill advisory for the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the Big Island for tonight with wind chills expected near zero. Makes my current Elkhart wind chill of 12 seem balmy.

It's ashame those summits aren't 2-3 higher, could you imagine the action. :guitar: It's always fun when they're under WSW headlines. I'd pay good money to shred some Mauna Kea powder.

This must be one of Louisville's new "experimental" impact WWA

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY

1203 AM EST SAT JAN 8 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING...

INZ076>079-084-090>092-KYZ029>043-045>049-054>057-066-067-081315-

/O.NEW.KLMK.WW.Y.0002.110108T0503Z-110108T1500Z/

ORANGE IN-WASHINGTON IN-SCOTT IN-JEFFERSON IN-CRAWFORD IN-

HARRISON IN-FLOYD IN-CLARK IN-BULLITT KY-JEFFERSON KY-OLDHAM KY-

TRIMBLE KY-HENRY KY-SHELBY KY-FRANKLIN KY-SCOTT KY-HARRISON KY-

SPENCER KY-ANDERSON KY-WOODFORD KY-FAYETTE KY-BOURBON KY-

NICHOLAS KY-NELSON KY-WASHINGTON KY-MERCER KY-JESSAMINE KY-

CLARK KY-MARION KY-BOYLE KY-GARRARD KY-MADISON KY-CASEY KY-

LINCOLN KY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PAOLI...SALEM...SCOTTSBURG...MADISON...

MARENGO...CORYDON...NEW ALBANY...JEFFERSONVILLE...

MOUNT WASHINGTON...SHEPHERDSVILLE...LOUISVILLE...LA GRANGE...

BEDFORD...NEW CASTLE...SHELBYVILLE...FRANKFORT...GEORGETOWN...

CYNTHIANA...TAYLORSVILLE...LAWRENCEBURG...VERSAILLES...

LEXINGTON...PARIS...CARLISLE...BARDSTOWN...SPRINGFIELD...

HARRODSBURG...NICHOLASVILLE...WINCHESTER...LEBANON...DANVILLE...

LANCASTER...RICHMOND...LIBERTY...STANFORD

1203 AM EST SAT JAN 8 2011

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SATURDAY

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW SHOWERS...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10

AM EST SATURDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT: MOST ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLICK AS

TEMPERATURES FALL WELL BELOW THE FREEZING MARK.

* OTHER IMPACTS: EXPECT REDUCED VISIBILITY IN SNOW SHOWERS AS LOW

AS ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

OT question to the Michigan guys. Not sure if any of you have been to the UP, but I was hoping maybe someone had been to Hancock, MI before. Would love to make the trip up there sometime to see their snow mesuring stick and to witness a storm there. Is it worth the trip?

I've been up there in Feb. for the snow sculpting festival in Houghton, MI (near Hancock), home of Michigan Tech University.

It is gorgeous.

Then, travel 10-15 more miles north into the Keweenaw for the really deep snow. There was about 40" on the ground (about 30" in Houghton)...I think this was Feb. 2007 (?).

Cold and dry around these parts. Even with full sun and no snow cover our temps are having a hard time getting out of the upper teens today. Our dusting of snow last night completely sublimated already, as I figured it would. The moisture content in that snow was very low.

May get an inch or two out of the Monday-Tuesday system, but other than that I really don't see much going for the QC anytime soon. The late week system is looking more and more like just a strong cold frontal passage to me for this immediate area. Hopefully we'll get some action in late Jan, or this month will end up a complete dud for the QC. Payback for Dec I guess lol.:snowman:

My dad was born up there on the Keewenaw in L'Anse and although I have not been up there for a long time I can attest to its beauty. I would go back up there in a heartbeat, and really am hoping to soon. I wish the radars could pick up the snow coming off the lake easier there, Im sure it would show some impressive banding.

Once again, this morning we struggled just to get down to zero. This has been a main theme this winter. It's nearly mid-January and our low temp has only been -2.

STL has had the same problem for about 11 years now. Hopefully, we can finally break the trend this winter. Parts of metro STL has been in the double digits below zero, but STL itself has only gotten down to zero.

Archived