• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
GL/MW/OV Jan 2011 Discussion

TheWeatherPimp

Definitely looks to be a wild month, starting with a massive storm system just in time for the first few days of the new year. Flooding, severe weather, snow & ice possible depending on what side of the storm you're on.

gfs_250_192m.gif

The pattern looks primed by the week of the 8th for a miller b type storm with a transition back to a more winter like pattern.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January could be very volatile. I have to believe subtle southeast ridging will be back on the map and this can place much of the central Ohio Valley back NW in the battling line between cold rain and heavy snow. I have to hedge towards a colder look then I would normally do in a typical strong Nina but this is not typical and I think other factors are controlling a more Arctic influence. A few weeks ago I believed January would be biased warm but looking at several data factors shove everything 200 to 300 miles south and east and what could have been a wet and warmer month could end up a bit below normal and snowier month. The one factor that I still have to look over is do we warm up in front of the storm and it skews the true monthly look or are we cold and get over running and stay colder. Factors to consider as we progress into January.

Josh

EURO not looking remotely as cold as the GFS beyond the weekend cutter.

Looks seasonable for the southern and eastern parts of the region, but relatively cold for the Upper Plains and Upper Midwest. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out down the road, post-cutter.

Looks seasonable for the southern and eastern parts of the region, but relatively cold for the Upper Plains and Upper Midwest. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out down the road, post-cutter.

zonal flow at H5 on the EURO makes me think it's headed for another warm up beyond D10 after a couple of days of seasonably cold weather following the departure of the big storm. GFS's pattern looks like it's more conducive for a reloading of the cold, with a big ridge on the west coast. But considering in both cases it's beyond D10, it's probably not worth analyzing much.

zonal flow at H5 on the EURO makes me think it's headed for another warm up beyond D10 after a couple of days of seasonably cold weather following the departure of the big storm. GFS's pattern looks like it's more conducive for a reloading of the cold, with a big ridge on the west coast. But considering in both cases it's beyond D10, it's probably not worth analyzing much.

Can't disagree with you on that point (+10 days). Needless to say, the pattern of most of this December is long gone very soon.

Can't disagree with you on that point (+10 days). Needless to say, the pattern of most of this December is long gone very soon.

Will be interesting to see how the temps respond with the New Years event considering the extensive snow cover in place. Could envision a little ice before we warm up enough for rain. Fog potential looks very high if not downright epic.

Will be interesting to see how the temps respond with the New Years event considering the extensive snow cover in place. Could envision a little ice before we warm up enough for rain. Fog potential looks very high if not downright epic.

Agreed on all points. It's gonna suck watching all of our snow melt though. :(

Agreed on all points. It's gonna suck watching all of our snow melt though. :(

At least you have a lot to melt :P

As for the ice potential, I think the models are downplaying it with that initial wave that draws up the warm air, I certainly envision the potential highly for ice to rain with that first wave.

LC is thinking another storm possible the first week of January, taking a more Southern route, providing snow across portions of the MW/OV/NE.

The computer schemes remain very aggressive in returning North America to a strong blocking configuration by 240 hours. Both +PNA or -EPO elements coincide with a return to a -NAP signal (Greenland/Baffin block) by the end of the medium range, with the snow cover regaining ground over the Midwest and Northeast. Note that the operational ECMWF scheme and the GFS ensemble package are VERY bullish on another intense winter storm moving out of Texas into lower Appalachia by January 4.

Archived