• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
GL/MW/OV Jan 2011 Discussion

TheWeatherPimp

Since a follow up wave is looking unlikely and any severe prospects around here seem to be close to nil, my rooting interest is in retaining any of the snowpack. We should spend something close to 60 hours above freezing with about 30 of those above 40 degrees. Nothing eats away snow like dense fog and then we'll be raining into it. I expect to lose at least 90% but wouldn't be surprised if we lost all of it (save the huge piles of course). If anything survives it's going to be a glacier.

I'm going with a complete melt off here. We'll have the snow piles though as you said. I'm going to take some photos today of the snow cover, so I have something to look at in the next couple (several?) weeks of boring hell. :guitar:

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with you on that. I cant stand everyone else getting snow and here in the snow dome GTA we get nothing. Residents that live here and that are saying "I absolutely love this weather because theres no snow" is making me sick to here. We live in Canada for crying out loud.

Sorry for my little rant. I am snow-starved if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

If the blocking comes back and persists through February, last year's record is as good as smoked, at least at Pearson. We don't get the type of big snowstorms that can overcome big deficits fast.

Sorry I don't have any better news. Don't know what grade you're in, but when looking at universities, try UWO or UO and get the hell out of this snow abyss.

I'm going with a complete melt off here. We'll have the snow piles though as you said. I'm going to take some photos today of the snow cover, so I have something to look at in the next couple (several?) weeks of boring hell. :guitar:

The bad news is that even if it's not a complete melt off, what little would be left might end up melting in the days after that with highs poking above freezing. Don't know if there's a method of some kind that can predict how much will melt, but I've seen melting happen surprisingly fast.

The bad news is that even if it's not a complete melt off, what little would be left might end up melting in the days after that with highs poking above freezing. Don't know if there's a method of some kind that can predict how much will melt, but I've seen melting happen surprisingly fast.

Seems to me it tends to melt quicker overnight, when temps are solidly above freezing and fog develops. I think it'll be one of those things where the snow cover fights for its life on Thursday...and then bam, by Friday morning, it's mainly toast.

That's the range I have here in the yard.

If we're above freezing for 60 hours, then we'd only have to melt at a rate of 0.1" or a little more per hour to melt it off. Of course melting will be very slow at first and then accelerate. Pretty sobering when you think of it that way. :(

If we're above freezing for 60 hours, then we'd only have to melt at a rate of 0.1" or a little more per hour to melt it off. Of course melting will be very slow at first and then accelerate. Pretty sobering when you think of it that way. :(

It's funny, no it's really sad, how we take our time building up a nice snow pack here...and then in a matter of two days it's wiped out. Blech.

See ya winter. :fever:

We're going to be rooting for different camps. You're probably looking for a continuation of the blocking shown on the GFS, while I'd fair better with the more progressive pattern depicted on the EURO (although even that's not ideal for snow). Good news for you, as Hoosier mentioned above, is that the solution that screws me will invariably turn out to be correct. :)

We're going to be rooting for different camps. You're probably looking for a continuation of the blocking shown on the GFS, while I'd fair better with thr more progressive pattern depicted on the EURO (although even that's not ideal for snow). Good news for you, as Hoosier mentioned above, is that the solution that screws me will invariably turn out to be correct. :)

Nah, we're done here for awhile. The blocking may come back later this winter, but for the next several weeks the Pacific takes over. I'm not sure if that'll do your hood any good, but it's a mild/essentially snowless pattern for down here. Hopefully you start to cash soon...snow drought be damned.

Nah, we're done here for awhile. The blocking may come back later this winter, but for the next several weeks the Pacific takes over. I'm not sure if that'll do your hood any good, but it's a mild/essentially snowless pattern for down here. Hopefully you start to cash soon...snow drought be damned.

Tought to say. GFS/GFS ensembles really seem to want to redevelop the blocking by mid-January. Ensemble forecast over at CPC (I assume these are multi-suite ensembles) shows the NAO rising to essentially neutral by mid-month. EURO depiction is congruous with the latter scenario, but D10 is way out there.

Chistorm is up to 16 votes, he's making a run to top me.

So, Moneyman>Chi Storm>Alex>mnweather

It's bad enough people get my name wrong when they can't discern the sound of a K from the sound of an X, even worse when they fail visually.

Chistorm and I are in a nice little battle for 2nd from our subforum. Moneyman running away with things. mnweather too much of an unknown.

If the blocking comes back and persists through February, last year's record is as good as smoked, at least at Pearson. We don't get the type of big snowstorms that can overcome big deficits fast.

Sorry I don't have any better news. Don't know what grade you're in, but when looking at universities, try UWO or UO and get the hell out of this snow abyss.

Im in grade 11 so ill be done school in a couple of years. I'll probably go to a university you mentioned. I just want to get out of tyhis no snow zone :thumbsdown:

Im in grade 11 so ill be done school in a couple of years. I'll probably go to a university you mentioned. I just want to get out of tyhis no snow zone :thumbsdown:

Go to Northern Michigan University in Marquette you will get enough snow that you will have no idea what to do with it.

well i already have 95% grass in the south end of mississauga so by tomorrow night i expect to have all grass. and by the time i return to kitchener on sunday i expect there to be no snow there as well. If we have to have a repeat of last winter, i would love to have the above normal temp and sunny march and april of last year. (made st.pattys day a lot easier on the body and eyes)

Archived