Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
GL/MW/OV Jan 2011 Discussion

TheWeatherPimp

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mallow has a thread about January analogs. He likes 1950 best followed by 1981. Both were terrible for Kokomo. I sure hope he is wrong.

http://www.americanw...anuary-analogs/

Remember though, those years referenced are actually December analogs, so the corresponding Januaries would be 1951 and 1982. You probably already understood that, but I just wanted it to be clear for everybody else.

Mallow has a thread about January analogs. He likes 1950 best followed by 1981. Both were terrible for Kokomo. I sure hope he is wrong.

Based off December 1950 and 1981 though, which lead into to January 1951 and 1982 (see his last map). January 1982 was awesome for LAF (27.8" of snow), which I assume it was good/great for OKK too. Let's root for that to happen again. :)

EDIt: Ah beaten to the punch by Mike. :lol:

Based off December 1950 and 1981 though, which lead into to January 1951 and 1982 (see his last map). January 1982 was awesome for LAF (27.8" of snow), which I assume it was good/great for OKK too. Let's root for that to happen again. :)

Yeah sorry, I got quick fingers and a lot of time on my hands.

Jan 1982 was awesome here as well. About 27" of snow for the month. Started out warm, but the deep freeze settled in by the 7th and the storms followed shortly.

BTW, this is why I'd love to see a repeat of January 1982, and that whole winter for that matter. Best part is with this past December, we have a good + cushion on 81-82. :guitar:

LAF/WL top 10 snowiest seasons

1) 66.1"...1977-78

2) 61.5"...1981-82

3) 56.4"...1904-05

4) 53.8"...1903-04

5) 49.3"...1983-84

6) 47.8"...2007-08

7) 46.3"...1929-30

8) 43.8"...1911-12

9) 43.0"...1925-26

10) 40.2"...1905-06

Yeah sorry, I got quick fingers and a lot of time on my hands.

Jan 1982 was awesome here as well. About 27" of snow for the month. Started out warm, but the deep freeze settled in by the 7th and the storms followed shortly.

No apology needed man. :) We were both so eager to say January 1982 (good for both of us) was the actual month Mallow was talking about.

January 1982 had quite an arctic outbreak in the lower 48. 1951 was a warm month locally but cold in the upper Midwest. I'd be more focused on temps since precip/snow is highly sensitive to individual storm tracks. So, those 2 analogs would suggest that anything can happen temp wise in our area. :guitar:

Nice and cold start to January, the way it should be.

Also, don't want to go too OT, but Analog96 needs our help! His lead is dwindling.

http://www.americanw...pionship-round/

Went with anal-log, but I imagine this was a tough choice for a lot of people. CT Blizz is truly an annoying SOB. Everytime CT gets dryslotted or rained on I smile a little bit.

January 1982 had quite an arctic outbreak in the lower 48. 1951 was a warm month locally but cold in the upper Midwest. I'd be more focused on temps since precip/snow is highly sensitive to individual storm tracks. So, those 2 analogs would suggest that anything can happen temp wise in our area. :guitar:

Yeah they were pretty opposite months, temp wise. Have to think the seemingly persistent -AO and NAO prevent a 1951 repeat. ;)

Went with anal-log, but I imagine this was a tough choice for a lot of people. CT Blizz is truly an annoying SOB. Everytime CT gets dryslotted or rained on I smile a little bit.

I'll give you Blizz being a :weenie:...no doubt it. But I've seen Analog in action since 2001, back in the WWBB days. He's a perfect choice as the first red tag :weenie:.

If he is using January 1982 analog, then that's the year that wasn't very good for MBY... If I remember correctly that was the year the big snow stayed south of Chicago, and affected everyone south of I-80, while areas north were on the fringes of the big storms. . . I remember listening to WLS air school closing reports for Peotone, and Kankakee areas, and even S Will County, while up in my back yard, we were lucky to see 2-4" from some of those storms.

I will have to go looking through some climo to see if I am right about Jan 1982 being that year. I know I was in high school at the time, I am just not sure if it was Jan 1982, or Jan 1983.

BTW, this is why I'd love to see a repeat of January 1982, and that whole winter for that matter. Best part is with this past December, we have a good + cushion on 81-82. :guitar:

LAF/WL top 10 snowiest seasons

1) 66.1"...1977-78

2) 61.5"...1981-82

3) 56.4"...1904-05

4) 53.8"...1903-04

5) 49.3"...1983-84

6) 47.8"...2007-08

7) 46.3"...1929-30

8) 43.8"...1911-12

9) 43.0"...1925-26

10) 40.2"...1905-06

January '82 :wub:

Toledo got screwed by the January 30th storm, as every direction had 11+" (Almost 12" at DTX and FDY), but overall a good month. Good year, actually.

Either way these next two months can't be much worse then December.

If he is using January 1982 analog, then that's the year that wasn't very good for MBY... If I remember correctly that was the year the big snow stayed south of Chicago, and affected everyone south of I-80, while areas north were on the fringes of the big storms. . . I remember listening to WLS air school closing reports for Peotone, and Kankakee areas, and even S Will County, while up in my back yard, we were lucky to see 2-4" from some of those storms.

I will have to go looking through some climo to see if I am right about Jan 1982 being that year. I know I was in high school at the time, I am just not sure if it was Jan 1982, or Jan 1983.

21.1" at ORD in January of 1982. It was pretty much good for everyone. January 1983 was during one of the all-time strongest El Nino's, which was slightly above normal temp-wise for Chicago, but snow was well below normal.

AOA -1 on both accounts? I could live with that. :snowman:

Although I figure the blocking regime we're in now is too pervasive to allow for readings like that.

Well it's an average for the month, so who knows the exacts of Jan '82. Still, if the current AO and NAO would relax a little (and be better positioned in the NAO's case), we could all get in on the fun. Of course that may be asking for too much in this extreme blocking regime we've been in lately, but that's beyond my scope of expertise. Not that I have any to begin with. ;)

OK, back to checking the correct January analogs. The 1950-1951 winter overall was nothing special here. 28" Nov-March. I didn't even go back and check January by itself.

On the other hand. The winter of 1981-1982 was a winter I do not understand at all. I must sometime go to the library and read the newspapers from that winter. (I was not here then.) Why is it such a big deal here? The Kokomo coop observer recorded 43.2" for January and 91.46" for Nov-March. No foolin' on those numbers.

I could do that kinda winter anytime.

(I attached the spreadsheet of the winter data.)

OK, back to checking the correct January analogs. The 1950-1951 winter overall was nothing special here. 28" Nov-March. I didn't even go back and check January by itself.

On the other hand. The winter of 1981-1982 was a winter I do not understand at all. I must sometime go to the library and read the newspapers from that winter. (I was not here then.) Why is it such a big deal here? The Kokomo coop observer recorded 43.2" for January and 91.46" for Nov-March. No foolin' on those numbers.

I could do that kinda winter anytime.

(I attached the spreadsheet of the winter data.)

The Jan 31-Feb 1 storm looks a bit sketchy, but DTW did have 10.0" on 1/31/82. LAF had 9.5" with that storm, so maybe we were on the western fringes. Other than that, it looks like a little bit of slant sticking may have been going on. Still a very snowy winter that lasted into April (9.3" at LAF).

The Jan 31-Feb 1 storm looks a bit sketchy, but DTW did have 10.0" on 1/31/82. LAF had 9.5" with that storm, so maybe we were on the western fringes. Other than that, it looks like a little bit of slant sticking may have been going on. Still a very snowy winter that lasted into April (9.3" at LAF).

:gun_bandana: You take that back!

Honestly, this is the only anomaly when looking over winters that I have found. I really do need to hit the library to see the headlines as I suspect this amount of snow would have make some great stories. (Even half of that would have been rather sweet.)

:gun_bandana: You take that back!

Honestly, this is the only anomaly when looking over winters that I have found. I really do need to hit the library to see the headlines as I suspect this amount of snow would have make some great stories. (Even half of that would have been rather sweet.)

:lol:

Well LAF had 61.5"...IND 58.2"...FWA 81.2" that season. Considering the FWA total, I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibilities...but yeah. :P

Archived