• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

Caught the thinnest, weakest part of the line.   Picked up 0.16" of rain.  Puts the the monthly total at 2.83".  However, 2 inches of that occurred on one day...in one hour.   Not much rain for the rest of the 743 hours of the month.   Just need that September or October tropical system and we'll be good!  

Worcester, PA.  Rain was .23" with the line going through. Really came down for about  5 minutes - maybe less.  Then a light rain for about 20 more minutes. Looking around it appears my general area was .2" to a higher amount over towards parts of Towamencin Twp. Closer to .45" at a site over that way.      1.89" for the month here in Worcester.

• Like 1

.27 in of rain- the most I will see for another two weeks. The trout streams are getting the butt kicked out of them for thermals. 120 degree water from the street runoff hitting a low base flow spring fed trout stream is killing the fingerlings. This has been happening in the last five minuscule rain events.  I really feel another Floyd type of tropical storm is on the horizon by late mid to late September in this weather pattern  that will hopefully break this persistent drought. All I can say is the crabgrass and japanese stilt grass love this weather.

• Weenie 1

Looks like I'm going to finish August with 2.06" of rain, compared to last year's 7.56" (barring a freak pop-up tomorrow, highly unlikely though). The plus side (if you can call it that) is that I've only had to mow about once every 10-12 days this summer. If I'd done that last summer I'd have needed a brush hog. Here's hoping September will be a little wetter.

That said, I recorded nearly 10" recorded for September 2021, though most of that was the 5"+ we got on 9/1/21 (iir that's when the Skook flooded downstream from us). Aside from that, rain was pretty sparse in these parts until the end of October. Do not want a repeat of that.

• Like 1

A very disappointing paltry 0.08" of rain with last evening's frontal passage here in East Nantmeal. A nice stretch of near normal weather is on the way. Can open up the windows for a few days starting today. Low humidity and overnight temps in the 50's for much of the county. The next chance of rain will be Sunday night into Labor Day.
The record high for today is 101 degrees from 1953. Our record low is 42 degrees in 1934. Daily rainfall record is 3.60" from 1911.
image.png.4c866ab4dc59ee088b00fdda37bab753.png

Well just heard on KYW that PA went on and and issued a Drought Watch for 36 counties - https://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/NewsRoomPublic/articleviewer.aspx?id=22185&typeid=1

Federal

CountyDroughtStatusMap08032022.jpg

Federal drought monitor -

20220823_pa_trd.png

Otherwise, big difference between yesterday and today.  I did make it to 84 as a high but the dews finally had a significant drop.

Currently partly sunny and 83 with dp 57.

Met summer stats -

JUN - 4.46" rain / 90+ days = 3

JUL - 1.65" rain / 90+ days = 14

AUG - 3.57" rain / 90+ days = 14

Hottest day was a 98 on 7/24/22. Had 3, 90+ days in May as an ancillary piece of data.

Looks like we may get through August with a rare event of not having some named TS in the Atlantic during the month of August.

47 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well just heard on KYW that PA went on and and issued a Drought Watch for 36 counties - https://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/NewsRoomPublic/articleviewer.aspx?id=22185&typeid=1

Federal

CountyDroughtStatusMap08032022.jpg

Federal drought monitor -

20220823_pa_trd.png

Otherwise, big difference between yesterday and today.  I did make it to 84 as a high but the dews finally had a significant drop.

Currently partly sunny and 83 with dp 57.

yep. I am waiting for a drought warning to be issued  real soon. They waited too long to even issue the drought watch as the stream base flows are becoming a real issue. I expect many non -spring fed streams to be dry by next week in our area like the Jordan Creek. I know many of the posters have been teasing me about me calling for a drought since last spring but unless we get a tropical storm soon,  this area's water supply, especially for private wells,  are going to become very problematic. I expect well drillers are busier than hell digging deeper wells for residential properties right now.

• Weenie 1

Hey folks, Happy September!! With August being the end of the full summer months I thought I would share both the August weather stats and the summer months (June-July-August) combined averages for the summer specific to the sites that cover Western Chester County PA. This August was our warmest summer month compared to average across all 3 longer term climate observation sites (East Nantmeal / Glenmoore and KMQS GO Carlson Airport )for Western Chester County PA.

August finished at 73.6 at East Nantmeal which was good for the 43rd warmest August across 129 years of data. Glenmoore at 75.5 was the 18th warmest August with 66 years of records. KMQS finished at 75.2 which was the 2nd warmest across only 15 years of data.

Now, while some may have felt that the summer was hot...in reality at least here in Western Chester County the data across all 3 sites was incredibly consistent and almost an exactly average middle of the road summer regarding our average temperatures! That said as our farmers and green thumbs know rain wise it was a tad on the dry side - more on that below.

Average Summer Temperatures - East Nantmeal - 72.1 degrees (+0.1 degree above normal) for the 73rd warmest summer of 129 years / Glenmoore - 73.7 degrees (also +0.1 degrees above normal) good for the 32nd warmest summer out of 66 years. Lastly, KMQS with only 15 years of data - average temp 73.4 degrees (+0.3 degrees above normal) - 7th warmest in last 15 years.

Rainfall wise EN at 11.82" which is 1.61" below normal. Glenmoore at almost the same with 11.75" which is only 1.66" below normal. KMQS has only 9.34" of rain during those summer months.

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:
Hey folks, Happy September!! With August being the end of the full summer months I thought I would share both the August weather stats and the summer months (June-July-August) combined averages for the summer specific to the sites that cover Western Chester County PA. This August was our warmest summer month compared to average across all 3 longer term climate observation sites (East Nantmeal / Glenmoore and KMQS GO Carlson Airport )for Western Chester County PA.

August finished at 73.6 at East Nantmeal which was good for the 43rd warmest August across 129 years of data. Glenmoore at 75.5 was the 18th warmest August with 66 years of records. KMQS finished at 75.2 which was the 2nd warmest across only 15 years of data.

Now, while some may have felt that the summer was hot...in reality at least here in Western Chester County the data across all 3 sites was incredibly consistent and almost an exactly average middle of the road summer regarding our average temperatures! That said as our farmers and green thumbs know rain wise it was a tad on the dry side - more on that below.

Average Summer Temperatures - East Nantmeal - 72.1 degrees (+0.1 degree above normal) for the 73rd warmest summer of 129 years / Glenmoore - 73.7 degrees (also +0.1 degrees above normal) good for the 32nd warmest summer out of 66 years. Lastly, KMQS with only 15 years of data - average temp 73.4 degrees (+0.3 degrees above normal) - 7th warmest in last 15 years.

Rainfall wise EN at 11.82" which is 1.61" below normal. Glenmoore at almost the same with 11.75" which is only 1.66" below normal. KMQS has only 9.34" of rain during those summer months.

You don't get it, 99.9% of us don't live in your glacier location. (No offense, don't care) It was a hot summer for the majority of other locations. Don't want to hear this average BS. Philly, itself,  must be approaching if not already reached 45+  90+ days. Dry for all of us.

85F/ DP 59F

*Philly will probably hit 90F Sat or Sun (if not both), burbs mid-upper 80's.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You don't get it, 99.9% of us don't live in your glacier location. (No offense, don't care) It was a hot summer for the majority of other locations. Don't want to hear this average BS. Philly, itself,  must be approaching if not already reached 45+  90+ days. Dry for all of us.

85F/ DP 59F

*Philly will probably hit 90F Sat or Sun (if not both), burbs mid-upper 80's.

Sorry birds they are the only weather facts we have here in Western Chesco and they are all incredibly aligned for 3 distinct locations -2 with data back between 66 and 129 years - not saying where you live was not somehow hot this summer. Where I am and other observers near me recorded - it was simply a normal summer and certainly far from anywhere near a hot summer based on NWS historical observations. Just the facts as always here!! But please share your local data that shows how hot it was - thanks again!! Paul

2 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Sorry birds they are the only weather facts we have - 3 distinct locations -2 with data back between 66 and 129 years - not saying where you live was somehow hot this summer. Where I am and other observers near me recorded - it was simply a normal summer. Just the facts as always here!!

My point being you are the outlier and you use terms such as "we" when it's not "we" it's "you" and only "you". You may not be in the correct forum. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

My point being you are the outlier and you use terms such as "we" when it's not "we" it's "you" and only "you". You may not be in the correct forum. 

Except it is far from just me....it is all of the NWS coop observation sites that report in one half of one of the biggest counties in SE PA....Keep in mind PHL airport is even less representative of the actual weather in SE PA than all of the NWS locations in Western Chesco.....they are a heat island report in the middle of a swamp 12 feet above sea level where no one lives.....my 3 sites are unique observations for a lot of folks and obviously it is NOT just me...Just trying to keep it real!

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Sorry birds they are the only weather facts we have here in Western Chesco and they are all incredibly aligned for 3 distinct locations -2 with data back between 66 and 129 years - not saying where you live was not somehow hot this summer. Where I am and other observers near me recorded - it was simply a normal summer and certainly far from anywhere near a hot summer based on NWS historical observations. Just the facts as always here!! But please share your local data that shows how hot it was - thanks again!! Paul

When we were house-searching a couple of years ago, I would have loved to have been able to move to someplace more local to where I grew up like East Nantmeal. However we were quickly priced out of Chester County amidst the huge housing bubble. So while I'm happy for you that your summer was "normal", East Nantmeal is simply not representative of the region as a whole, you must be aware of this. However however, it IS still interesting, given your geographic and elevation disparity with most of the rest of us. It would seem to me that a mere ~400' of added elevation can produce a statistically significant result... for now. I'm still waiting for a list of those weather stations you mentioned in your previous post.

FWIW, I've recorded 42 days above 90° IMBY thus far. My readings have shown enough correlation over the last two years with other local obs that I trust them. 

In other news, I'm looking forward to publishing my updated IMBY charts tomorrow. Do you guys mind seeing them here, or would it be better to start (and maintain) a separate thread?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

When we were house-searching a couple of years ago, I would have loved to have been able to move to someplace more local to where I grew up like East Nantmeal. However we were quickly priced out of Chester County amidst the huge housing bubble. So while I'm happy for you that your summer was "normal", East Nantmeal is simply not representative of the region as a whole, you must be aware of this. However however, it IS still interesting, given your geographic and elevation disparity with most of the rest of us. It would seem to me that a mere ~400' of added elevation can produce a statistically significant result... for now. I'm still waiting for a list of those weather stations you mentioned in your previous post.

FWIW, I've recorded 42 days above 90° IMBY thus far. My readings have shown enough correlation over the last two years with other local obs that I trust them. 

In other news, I'm looking forward to publishing my updated IMBY charts tomorrow. Do you guys mind seeing them here, or would it be better to start (and maintain) a separate thread?

Hi Mike, the locations I mentioned with relative long consecutive data points are Glenmoore, KMQS and Coatesville/East Nantmeal. It looks like inland toward Pittsburgh also experienced near normal summer readings (see below) The key is to get away from the UHI issues at KPHL and other airports along the NE coastal plain. I know the NWS is looking into the PHL sensor problems. Does your 42 days of 90+ make you question how you could have 42 days....while KPHL at sea level has 46 days yet KPTW has only 10 days and KMQS only 9 days? What is your elevation again? Is your sensor sited in the sun? does it have a solar shield and or a fan aspirated system if it is in the sun? If not it should be located on the north - shady side of your house and away from direct sunlight. There is a site in Reading at 1000ft that has recorded not a single 90 degree reading all year. I am guessing you must be below 200 feet to even approach the KPHL heat island numbers? image.png.f5faaf152a005c7a729c697ce5671208.png

6 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Hi Mike, the locations I mentioned with relative long consecutive data points are Glenmoore, KMQS and Coatesville/East Nantmeal. It looks like inland toward Pittsburgh also experienced near normal summer readings (see below) The key is to get away from the UHI issues at KPHL and other airports along the NE coastal plain. I know the NWS is looking into the PHL sensor problems. Does your 42 days of 90+ make you question how you could have 42 days....while KPHL at sea level has 46 days yet KPTW has only 10 days and KMQS only 9 days? What is your elevation again? Is your sensor sited in the sun? does it have a solar shield and or a fan aspirated system if it is in the sun? If not it should be located on the north - shady side of your house and away from direct sunlight. There is a site in Reading at 1000ft that has recorded not a single 90 degree reading all year. I am guessing you must be below 200 feet to even approach the KPHL heat island numbers? image.png.f5faaf152a005c7a729c697ce5671208.png

No heat island in upper Bucks and station readings just as hot as the rest of the northeast, it's you

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

No heat island in upper Bucks and station readings just as hot as the rest of the northeast, it's you

Hi Redsky, if we just stick to the climate facts it looks like it might be you too?? (see below for Quakertown)  In addition to the other 2 COOP/ASOS  NWS observation sites available for Western Chester County - they both align well between all 3 summer observations as you can see - this is why it is reliable. Please share your daily observation files from June 1 through August 31 and I will do some analysis. Just a quick FYI for you - I just ran the climate data for Quakertown for the same time period...what do you know the summer ended with an average temperature of 73.7 that compares almost exactly to both the Glenmoore obs also at 73.7 / KMQS at 73.4 and East Nantmeal at 72.1 - where is that heat island in Upper Bucks you speak of?? Just the facts

Paul