• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

My final high for yesterday was 91 and my "low" (in quotes) was 72 this morning.  So started out with a steamy window morning.

It touched 87 earlier but the sky has filled up with cumulus, basically blocking the sun, so it's currently 86 with a very noticeable dp of 72.  I could feel the near sauna out there this morning when i went out to run some errands. :yikes:

4 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

ACY ocean water temp 84.7 that’s the warmest in my lifetime wow!!!

Probably means the changeover line will be west of Cleveland this winter :raining:

Looks like fall out there with the leaves coming down, but certainly feels like summer (cuz it is)...89F/DP 66F

Hit 90F for a bit yesterday, should do so again today. Can I hit 90F tomorrow and sneak in another heatwave??

• Weenie 2

popup showers 10% chance of getting one by this evening. All the main t-storm formation is again west of the Alleghenies- will never make it here by nightfall. Like I posted earlier this week , the drought will continue and get worse until a tropical storm breaks this crappy pattern for good and helps pulls down canadian cool air hopefully by the third week in september. Issues to contend with:

1. Leaves are scorched on many trees(sycamores, tulip poplars  and maples ) and are falling like it is mid October. The summer web worm is also having a field day in Lehigh County and many walnut trees are becoming defoliated. making more leaves fall. Autumn peak colors will be like crap around here.

2. Stream base flows are falling big time . The 1-2 inch rain early in week helped only to temporarily green the lawns but did absolutely jack crap for the aquifers and stream base flows.

3. Overnight temps are killing us more than the daytime dryness. With no cool nights, we are not reaching the dewpoints and forming moisture on the vegetation and in the air. To make matters worse, the A/C is working overtime because no one can sleep when low temps are between the mid 60's and 70's

4. The current pattern will temporarily break on around Sept 1-2 and we will finally get lows to hit near the dewpoints of 45-50 degrees. But that will be only for a few days and then we are back into the SOS weather pattern.

short-term-drought-indicator-blend-08-26-2022.png

• Weenie 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:07 AM, Kevin Reilly said:

ACY ocean water temp 84.7 that’s the warmest in my lifetime wow!!!

Overall this summer it has been one of the chilliest water temps in memory for many long time shore dwellers.  Temps were in the 50's just 2 weeks ago. Plenty of up welling this year. Temp back down to 78 degrees today

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Overall this summer it has been one of the chilliest water temps in memory for many long time shore dwellers.  Temps were in the 50's just 2 weeks ago. Plenty of up welling this year. Temp back down to 78 degrees today

Yep, but what happens right along the beaches doesn't always tell the whole story.  I would love to know consistently what the ocean water temps are say 35 to 65 miles offshore then because that would tell the whole story.  All I know is that in my lifetime I have never seen a report as high as 84.7 at ACY that's pretty incredible (I am 48 just for the record and have followed these things since I was say oh 8 years old.)    As we all know too around here whether it is an approaching hurricane, nor'easter development, or the rain snow line come winter the ocean temperatures play a very critical role I-95 corridor north and west. 

Oh, by the way I truly appreciate your data analysis from Natmeal Township.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I'm underwhelmed by our new, wet weather pattern.

Hit 91F yesterday. Forecasted high today is 88F. Wouldn't be surprised if temps overperform and I make it to 90F for a third consecutive day.

77F/DP 65F

On my car thermometer it was 93 leaving the Phillies game at 10:20 PM.  In regard to rain the total here in Media is 1.87" since July 4th.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, JTA66 said:

Probably means the changeover line will be west of Cleveland this winter :raining:

Looks like fall out there with the leaves coming down, but certainly feels like summer (cuz it is)...89F/DP 66F

Hit 90F for a bit yesterday, should do so again today. Can I hit 90F tomorrow and sneak in another heatwave??

Lawn is toast/dead and leaves are crunchy/crispy brownish/falling. College football started, Fall....under 30 days! 

85F/DP 64F

fall2.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Made it to 89F today, then the clouds rolled in. Avoided a “heatwave” by that much. Gotta take these small victories where you find them. Sitting at 86F.

Same.

The " 90F+ heatwave" thing is a bunch of crap. I'll take 90F/DP in the 50s rather than 85F and DPs 70+. It's a media thing hype... 

nw2.jpg

Like everyone else here N/W of PHL, the clouds rolled in and hung around for most of the afternoon, keeping the 90 away IMBY but got close.  Made it to 89, although the clouds did start to break up some in the past hour but I think we are pretty much past peak heating at this point.

Currently partly sunny and 87 with dp 65.

23 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Yep, but what happens right along the beaches doesn't always tell the whole story.  I would love to know consistently what the ocean water temps are say 35 to 65 miles offshore then because that would tell the whole story.  All I know is that in my lifetime I have never seen a report as high as 84.7 at ACY that's pretty incredible (I am 48 just for the record and have followed these things since I was say oh 8 years old.)    As we all know too around here whether it is an approaching hurricane, nor'easter development, or the rain snow line come winter the ocean temperatures play a very critical role I-95 corridor north and west. 

Oh, by the way I truly appreciate your data analysis from Natmeal Township.

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate that....there is another forum that is not a big fan of my analysis....

• Confused 1

Some spots could see a shower across the county today. With temps through Wednesday remaining above our normal high this week of around 80 degrees. Of note down in Philadelphia at the PHL airport they are in the middle of their 5th "heat wave" (3 or more 90 degree days in a row) of the summer. Yesterday was their 43rd day over 90 degrees this summer. To contrast the 3 closest airports near Chester County - Coatesville (9 days) / Pottstown (10 days) West Chester (17 days) combined have seen only 36 such days! Of course here in East Nantmeal we have still seen but 1 day all summer that has reached the 90 degree mark. It seems to me we should tell our neighbors down in the big city that if they wish to avoid heat waves you don't have to go far....just to our backyards here in Chesco!
Some interesting climate record notes for today in the county. Our record high is 98 degrees set in 1973. Our record low is 38 degrees set back in 1982. That low temperature is the earliest reading in the 30's ever recorded in the county with records now back to 1888. The daily rainfall record is the 3.23" that fell back in 2011.image.png.2c428f43561193e293ba6b65a6624f0e.png

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate that....there is another forum that is not a big fan of my analysis....

I appreciate your dedication to getting the data together while I am sure it is enjoyable it does take a lot of time.  I am happy to hear what goes on your neck of the woods compared to here about 35 miles to your SE in Media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Looks like NOAA has some questions about that reading...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/jersey-shore-record-water-temperatures-weather-20220827.html

77F/DP 71F

I found this part of the article that was interesting -

The 84.7 degrees well exceeded the old standard, 83.3 degrees, set on Aug. 10, 2016, said Jim Eberwine, retired marine meteorologist at the Mount Holly office and now Absecon’s emergency management chief.

Which just goes to show that old mets don't go off into the sunset but can pop-up like a convective cell in Emergency Management!  :lol:

• Haha 2