• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2022

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

But it's all relative, just departures from their own norms, so unless something has changed with the Susky or the Stoga versus the prior few decades, it shouldn't matter.  And yes I know that your post was mostly made in jest haha, but I can't help but think about these things.  The perils of being a weather junkie. 

How about the "fact" that the reported temps can primarily only raise in odd increments within the 70's and even in the 80's?   Talk about a peril...lol. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Superstorm I can't fully download the latest temps on the wunderground site, but 60s are as close as the Delaware River and it's only in the low 70s in Chester county. Going to be an interesting day across the area to see who continues to bake and who pulls back under the influence of the front. 

Could be a 78 today in Paradise and 92 in Elizabethtown. 

My backyard station says it's 86.2 currently. In Fogelsville, where I'm sitting waiting to get unloaded, the nearest station shows 77.5

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

How about the "fact" that the reported temps can primarily only raise in odd increments within the 70's and even in the 80's?   Talk about a peril...lol. 

The fact that a rise of 1°C corresponds with a rise of 1.8°F ensures that the possible 5-min obs always go up in increments of five odd numbers, then five even numbers. An odd quirk, but an odd quirk with an explanation.

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

MDT ended May with a hefty 6.67" of rain and a temp anomaly 1.9 degrees above average.  Looks like some rogue cells around this afternoon before a more widespread threat late tomorrow.  Beautiful weekend on tap.

That's about 4.5" more than I had in May fwiw. 

31 minutes ago, TimB said:

The fact that a rise of 1°C corresponds with a rise of 1.8°F ensures that the possible 5-min obs always go up in increments of five odd numbers, then five even numbers. An odd quirk, but an odd quirk with an explanation.

I wonder when the US will take up using thermometers that registers in F?  I just came from the gas station and they wanted $18 a litre!  The gas price is out of control. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

92 with blazing sun. Day #6 above 90, first heat wave of 2022 in the books. 

Folks that prefer more snow and maybe a less hot regime have even more reason to look into Adams and Franklin county now.   Cashtown and I have struggled to get to 90 during the last 3 days.   I have not made it yet and he just made 90 yesterday.  FWIW, I am still of the opinion that a heat wave needs to be more than 3 days since that is the WMO definition so we even have less heatwaves here when it does get hot :-).  Last year this group used the 5 day definition. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Folks that prefer more snow and maybe a less hot regime have even more reason to look into Adams and Franklin county now.   Cashtown and I have struggled to get to 90 during the last 3 days.   I have not made it yet and he just made 90 yesterday.  FWIW, I am still of the opinion that a heat wave needs to be more than 3 days since that is the WMO definition so we even have less heatwaves here when it does get hot :-)

I've been reading your obs closely during all the seasons. There are notable exceptions but generally speaking, you're a solid 5 or so degrees cooler than I am. This is important because it might mean the difference between my AC running 250 days a year instead of the 300 or so that it currently runs. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've been reading your obs closely during all the seasons. There are notable exceptions but generally speaking, you're a solid 5 or so degrees cooler than I am. This is important because it might mean the difference between my AC running 250 days a year instead of the 300 or so that it currently runs. 

And think of the snow...asking Cashtown if he has caught up to you yet.   And the gas savings in mowing (even when all the grass dies). 

image.png.4ee9e10928eec611fb2b0e1b04d0cb7a.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And think of the snow...asking Cashtown if he has caught up to you yet.   And the gas savings in mowing (even when all the grass dies). 

image.png.4ee9e10928eec611fb2b0e1b04d0cb7a.png

Definitely a beautiful area out your way - loved it as a child and enjoy my trips today out to Caledonia and environs. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Folks that prefer more snow and maybe a less hot regime have even more reason to look into Adams and Franklin county now.   Cashtown and I have struggled to get to 90 during the last 3 days.   I have not made it yet and he just made 90 yesterday.  FWIW, I am still of the opinion that a heat wave needs to be more than 3 days since that is the WMO definition so we even have less heatwaves here when it does get hot :-).  Last year this group used the 5 day definition. 

Agreed.  I mean, take July for instance, where a huge chunk of the month averages damn near 87 for a high.  I'm supposed to get excited about the fact that three days are three degrees above average?  Do we have a name for when it hits 40 three days in a row in January haha.  All a bit silly in my mind.  Threshold needs to be higher.

53 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Agreed.  I mean, take July for instance, where a huge chunk of the month averages damn near 87 for a high.  I'm supposed to get excited about the fact that three days are three degrees above average?  Do we have a name for when it hits 40 three days in a row in January haha.  All a bit silly in my mind.  Threshold needs to be higher.

I agree with both of you - I think if there's going to be an "official" designation, it's got to be at least 5 consecutive days at a minimum. 

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

This is definitely a deja vu of last years discussion for the reasons you mentioned.    If 90 is the threshold then we have Heat Waves galore.   I think it has to be more than 3 days and based on a certain amount over average, not a set temp. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I agree with both of you - I think if there's going to be an "official" designation, it's got to be at least 5 consecutive days at a minimum. 

It'strainingtime...training met's what a real heatwave is?   Are you going to call MU and tell him that the heatwave has not verified per Amwx? 

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It'strainingtime...training met's what a real heatwave is?

Who says we have to follow what others have deemed appropriate for us? We can create our own parameters here in our own thread! 

Where's @TimB with a breakdown for how many times MDT reaches 90 or above on 5 consecutive days? 7 consecutive days? I honestly wouldn't have a clue. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Who says we have to follow what others have deemed appropriate for us? We can create our own parameters here in our own thread! 

Where's @TimB with a breakdown for how many times MDT reaches 90 or above on 5 consecutive days? 7 consecutive days? I honestly wouldn't have a clue. 

Plus the heat index has to be figured in.  90/60 is a cake walk compared to 87/80.

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MDT has:

5 runs of 11 days

5 runs of 10 days

6 runs of 9 days

12 runs of 8 days

18 runs of 7 days

22 runs of 6 days

46 runs of 5 days

So 114 streaks of 5+ days in 134 years, 46 of which went a week or more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TimB said:

MDT has:

5 runs of 11 days

5 runs of 10 days

6 runs of 9 days

12 runs of 8 days

18 runs of 7 days

22 runs of 6 days

46 runs of 5 days

So 114 streaks of 5+ days in 134 years.

...and there he is, the zen of data collection! Well done Tim!

So - MDT has a "5 day heat wave" approximately every 3 years, and a "7 day heat wave" approximately every 7-8 years.

Which do we like better?