Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12/13 Event Quest for Blues to Envelop More Rather Than Less

North Balti Zen

6 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Just wait til THE band arrives 

Been stuck between bands mostly. But I’m getting the typical help from being on the ridge. A couple degrees colder and a little bit of upslope precip enhancement goes a long way in marginal events. Probably why looking at coop records around here I didn’t see any total shutouts years up here. Even in a horrible year this area eeks out several minor events this way. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

All rain thus far in CHO.

Hmm..

CHO and Staunton appear to be JUST too far southwest to get in on the action right now. Things definitely setup a bit further north, more in line with the NAM HRRR HRDRPS camp- versus what the GFS was depicting, which was a Staunton / CHO special

• Like 1

Hmm..
CHO and Staunton appear to be JUST too far southwest to get in on the action right now. Things definitely setup a bit further north, more in line with the NAM HRRR HRDRPS camp- versus what the GFS was depicting, which was a Staunton / CHO special

Yeah, this has been forseeable for a bit. I’m sure I’ll see snow - just not expecting the bullseye.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Been stuck between bands mostly. But I’m getting the typical help from being on the ridge. A couple degrees colder and a little bit of upslope precip enhancement goes a long way in marginal events. Probably why looking at coop records around here I didn’t see any total shutouts years up here. Even in a horrible year this area eeks out several minor events this way. 

Every bit helps up this way! I moved about 50 minutes (roughly 35-40 miles) NW of my old house in Ellicott city, north of I70, and it has made a world of difference, especially in marginal events.

I don’t have the ridge, but the extra elevation and distance away from the bay, i70 / i95 has helped immensely. Last year was an extreme example of the benefits of living in the northern tier, but even during an event like this one, the benefits are quite obvious. I’ve also noticed that this area over to Thurmont has been a pretty consistent sweet spot for banding over the last few seasons. Can’t say I’m mad about my move at all. 

Anyhow… current storm!

31 degrees & heavy snow continues as the radar continues to light up WSW of here. Been getting lucky with banding since 1 am or so 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic